Avira and Comodo AV

No sorry Eric, Only seen that Melih is invovled with some. Maybe Melih could post here about it if you sent a PM? :slight_smile:

Is the latest version of Avira PE Free (V. 8.2.0.337) compatible with the latest version of Comodo (V. 3.5.57173.439) with antivirus protection? I am running an old version of Comodo Firewall Pro without antivirus and need to update, but I do not want to loose Avira (:LOV).

Currently I have: XP SP3 32 Bit, Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0.13.268, Avira AntiVir Personal Free 8.2.0.337, AD-Aware 2007.

You shouldn’t run two antiviruses. However, you can safely keep Avira. You don’t have to install the antivirus part of CIS, just deselect it during installation.

Ps. Welcome to the forum. (:WAV)

Or even better, install it, but disable it’s realtime scanner, then you can still use the on-demand scanner :slight_smile:

Xan

I have used CIS since the first version and uninstalled my previous AV Avira. Last week I had a problem with the AV part of CIS something about the engine not starting or such. Anyway to cut a long story short I decided to uninstall and reinstall CIS to see if this would solve the problem I was having.

I then thought as I was doing this I may as well reinstall Avira prior to reinstall of CIS as a test. I downloaded new versions of CIS and Avira from the respective sites and disconnected from the internet. I installed Avira with the current CIS open as I didn’t like going online for the Avira updates without a firewall. Once Avira was installed and up to date I disconnected from the internet and uninstalled CIS. I then did a scan with Avira in Safe Mode which was faster at 17mins than the Comodo AV scan which on my PC takes approx 1.5hrs. but it found nothing and so I decided that rather than uninstall Avira again which I had intended I would just disable it instead and keep it onboard as a backup AV. I then reinstalled CIS which solved my original problem and did the Comodo scan as well which I probably didn’t need to do but did it anyway but again it found nothing.

I personally don’t visit dodgy sites on the web so my chances of viruses / malware etc are minimised but for me personally this episode has confirmed my faith that the Comodo AV part of CIS is working fine and with the soon to be released improved version will be even better than it is at present.

CAVS will kick Aviras ■■■ anyday/night.
But not yet… Stick with it until the heuristics is out and none beta.

Also you could use avira as an on-demand…

Thanks so much for the info! You all answered my questions perfectly. I think I will wait for the new Comodo with heuristics before I update, but even after that I will probably keep Avira. I don’t know which one I will use for real-time scanning, but Avira has performed better than most of the other free scanners to date in the online tests. I’ve never seen a comparison between Avira and Comodo. That would be interesting. Thanks again and thanks for the welcome :SMLR.

Melih (COMODO’s CEO) has told us that they have tested the new heuristics against the other big-name AVs like Antivir and NOD32 and COMODO’S AV heuristics performed equally well/better than the others.

But that’s just heuristics…

:wink:

I recall Melih stating that they tested CIS beta heuristics to Avira and Kaspersky and that CIS found 99% of all the stuff the two other programs found together. That is impressive I think.

That’s correct, I was just about to post it. 99% is pretty decent. :slight_smile:

Well maybe I will wait another month and see if Cavs will ready

seeing as the beta was just released and will probably stay in beta for about a month, sounds good.

:slight_smile:

Bump…

I am bumping this thread to to ask my original question i asked in the beginning of this thread

Hi all,

Is Comodo’s AV good enough yet for me to get rid of Avira? I already use the FW and would love to the AV.

In All Honestly

I Recommend Comodo’s AV To Everyone I Know, Why?

1. Near 1.5 Million Signatures Within Couple Months Of Releasing The AV… And Growing 1 Thousand average a week/day…

2. Comodo Is behind it, I Trust Comodo With My Life, I have every single product they have… Including trust connect & ID Theft…

3. Never Fail’d Me Before, Avira Has Before…

4. Avira (free) Show’s Advertisements when updating, Comodo Does Not :).

5. Comodo Is Lighter, Avira isn’t :slight_smile:

6. Comodo is improving daily, Avira usually improves when they get enough complaints…

That’s my opinion …

Yes there are few errors here and there… but Comodo i think has better support for their free products then Avira…

• Jacob

I agree with everything you said apart from staking my life on comodo :slight_smile:

In All Honestly

I Recommend Comodo’s AV To Everyone I Know, Why?

1. Near 1.5 Million Signatures Within Couple Months Of Releasing The AV… And Growing 1 Thousand average a week/day…

2. Comodo Is behind it, I Trust Comodo With My Life, I have every single product they have… Including trust connect & ID Theft…

3. Never Fail’d Me Before, Avira Has Before…

4. Avira (free) Show’s Advertisements when updating, Comodo Does Not Smiley.

5. Comodo Is Lighter, Avira isn’t Smiley

6. Comodo is improving daily, Avira usually improves when they get enough complaints…

That’s my opinion …

Yes there are few errors here and there… but Comodo i think has better support for their free products then Avira…

• Jacob

I have used Comodo since way back to 2.4 and since release day for 3.5 have used the full CIS version and uninstalled my Avira AV (free version). After about 6 weeks without any problems or viruses I decided as a test to disconnect from my internet connection, switch off Comodo and reinstall Avira then I booted into “Safe Mode” and scanned my PC. Result was nothing found my PC was clean and I have never doubted CIS again. On my PC I have the following security measures:
Real Time : Comodo BoClean, SpywareBlaster, Comodo CIS v3.8 with the addition of
Kyles Guide Settings which can be found on the first page for CIS.
On Demand: Superantispyware, MalwareBytes, A-Squared all used manually on a weekly
rota basis and updated prior to use.
Internet : Mozilla Firefox with the additions of the AdBlock+ and NoScripts add-ons as
Default browser. IE7 installed but only used for MSN updates.

I am 60yrs old without any real knowledge of PC’s but have found that with the above programs and the help of the kind folks here and at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ to learn how to use them I haven’t had more than a couple of tracking cookies found on my system for over two years. Trust in Comod and enjoy safe surfing.

Thanks to all that have replied, I really appreciate it, I would like to know is there any new screen shots of this AV?

Thanks PPL

I’m still making/writing this, but there are screenshots of the AV in all of these guides: IT Service Management (ITSM) | Information and FAQs from Wiki Comodo