Avast! Home/Pro 4.8 officialy released

Avast! Home/Pro 4.8 is officialy released today ;D

* avast! now contains a built-in anti-rootkit protection * avast! now comes with a built-in anti-spyware protection * new self-defense function to prevent active malware from terminating avast! processes as well as corrupting avast! files and registry items * scanners now display a progress of current scan (percentage of work done) * fixed a vulnerability in AavmKer4.sys kernel-mode driver (problem applies to Windows NT/2000/XP, 32-bit only); special thanks to Tobias Klein * improvements in boot-time scanner (detection & removal of hidden or hard to delete files) * boot-time scanner will not start when booting into Safe Mode (the program was "invisible" in that case, no progress/messages could be seen) * improvements in many unpackers * ACE and RAR unpackers now work even in boot-time scanner * IM Shield: added support for QQ * improvements in handling of NTFS streams * Internet Mail provider now displays the name of the sending/receiving program in the tooltip of its taskbar icon * implemented a protection against false positives in critical system files * removed a small memory leak in one of avast! drivers (Windows Vista and XP 64-bit only) * added support for 64-bit WHS connector (available in WHS Power Pack 1) * greatly improved performance of the updater, especially in cases where many increments are being downloaded (e.g. avast! installations with outdated virus definitions) * silent installation now also includes scheduled tasks, if any * resolved a compatibility issue with Acronis TrueImage (XP 64-bit only) * compatibility tests with Vista SP1 and XP SP3

You can download the Pro/60 day trial version from here :

And the Home version from here :

Or use the Program Update function from Avast! :slight_smile:

Greetz, Red.

Thanks for the update!

I notice filehippo is a day slow when it comes to program updates, 4.8 is not up there yet!

Josh.

I was thinking of trying this since my 6 months of Avira are almost up. Its not as good as Avira but close to it.

Hippo’s are slow by nature :wink:

Greetz, Red.

Got mine here.

Nice :slight_smile:

I can only say that I beleve this is a very stable release :slight_smile: The Beta’s where already very stable, and the issues left where fixed very fast by the Awil Team :slight_smile:

Greetz, Red.

I got mine earlier, still works great. Certainly the most unintrusive signature updates I have seen. :slight_smile:

I switched off the sounds and have it update in silent mode. I also changed the skin around and stopped the “a” from spinning. Working great along side my Dragon. Anyway to permanently shut off the mail service since I use Yahoo web based and not Outlook? I already terminated the service but you cannot disable it.

I like the spinning “a”. Have actually found problems with programs running when they shouldn’t be (broken, not malicious) just because of it spinning. Not sure what you mean by not disabling it. If you right click and go to on access protection control and select terminate, it persists and doesn’t come back unless you start it again. I have IM, Outlook, P2P terminated.

When you boot up its still there running. I did a custom addition and was able to uninstall the Outlook plugin. Mail shield was using like 2,800K when I don’t even use Outlook. I am happier now. Still deciding if I should go back to Avira.

Seems to be a very interesting software. I’ve always liked avast! 4.7 (although I don’t use AV anymore). The scanner takes forever which I actually like, because it goes very deep and scans every file if you wish. That’s much more important than speed, I think. Just start the scanner and do something else for two hours…

Now 4.8 obviously adds rootkit and spyware detection. I wonder where those new signatures came from?

So what do you think, any idea to purchase avast! when this free version is around?

Nice job, ALWIL, but I’m hoping for CAVS 3 to catch up with the quality of avast!!!

LA

Now this is interesting. I’ll download it and use together with Avira as on-demand scanner :wink:

Cheers,
Ragwing

Thanks for the heads up, i’ve been using the Beta version for sometime without any problems, i’m going to update now…thanks.

Hi Red. Thanks for the info. Just downloaded my copy. All seems to be ok. Cheers Yamo. :-TU :-TU

One thing I do like about Avast over Avira is the web shield. Its nice to catch a virus even before you download it.

Doesn’t it impact on the connection speed? Sure, it’s no big deal if you’re on a 10+ mbits connections, but for dial-up connections it might make a big difference. Avira stops the malware before it loads into the memory, and that’s good enough for me.
Reason for why I like it is that Avast! has a boot-time scanning function.

Cheers,
Ragwing

No not any slow downs at all. You disabled the web shield? Why? I am on a 6MB DSL connection and I get no slow downs browsing.

I think this answers your question.

I don’t use any anti-virus for real-time protection, only CFP 3. I think it’s enough to scan them manually if needed.

Cheers,
Ragwing

It doesn’t impact my 3 MB ADSL either O0

I like going to the eicar test page and clicking on the files and then ■■■■. Avast kicks and and terminates the download. With Avira Premium I was aloud to download some of those files without any alerts. I know this isnt a big deal but it makes me feel better.