Avast! / CIS Conflict?

I have been having problems with the Avast! Web Scanner/CIS, I noticed this when I looked in Windows Event Viewer and saw the following entries:

Event ID: 7009
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the avast! Web Scanner service to connect.

Event ID: 7000
The avast! Web Scanner service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Sometimes after a few minutes it does seem to start up, but then sometimes “terminates”, Windows Event Viewer shows the following error message:

Event ID: 7034
The avast! Web Scanner service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

These error messages have been happening randomly since 22nd January, but since 14th February (after I installed a new version of Comodo Internet Security) it happens every time I load Windows.

I’ve disabled Comodo Internet Security and the messages do not appear, I have uninstalled and reinstalled both Comodo Internet Security and Avast! (using the avast! Antivirus Removal Tool), but the problem still exists.

I’m using Windows XP (SP3 and all updates), Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1335 and Comodo Internet Security 3.8.64739.471 (only Firewall with Optimum Proactive Defense), both Network Defense & Proactive Defense are on Safe Mode.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Do you have CIS AV set to actively scan, and are you running D+? If so, you should never have more than only security application actively monitoring your system. There are bound to be conflicts.

Thanks for replying :slight_smile:

I did say in my first post that I only use the firewall and D+ (Optimum Proactive Defense) :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you restart it manually after system startup or won’t it start at all ?

Thanks for replying :smiley:

Sometimes it does startup by itself after a few minutes but then “terminates”, after that when I terminate and restart the web scanner sometime it works fine other times it keeps terminating.

I have seemed to have found a way around it, by not having the web scanner load at windows startup and then manually starting it just before I go online (I’m on dial up).

It just annoying that it won’t work right at startup.

Dev’s have found an issue and that will be fixed with the next release, i expect this/next week.

In the mean time is there any workaround?

Only workaround is to disable D+ permanently on the D+ Settings window.
Or to pause the Web scanner up to you what you like/trust the most.

OK - Thanks

Thank you so much :slight_smile:

Just downloaded and installed new CIS version 3.8.65951.477 and the problem still exists. :frowning:

I just ran the online update for CIS (from 3.5 to 3.8.xxx.477) on the GF’s wireless laptop (Win XP Pro, SP2), Firewall and D+ only. Avast is her on-access AV. No other security.

Everything went smooth with no errors and Avast is also working smoothly. All software functioning as it should.

Could the errors being experienced actually have something to do with CIS’ AV causing an issue with D+, which in turn is having issues with other AV software?

Can you tell us how you installed the new version, did you leave everything default ? did you change settings ?
Did you “import” an previous config or did you start creating new rules ?

Thanks for replying!

Only things I changed: I installed Firewall with Maximum Proactive Defense+ (last time it was Optimum Proactive Defense, I did this because I normally use Maximum, but tried with Optimum when I started having problems), I did change Proactive+ security level to safe mode from clean mode.

I did not import any previous configs

Not sure if this is any help, but the errors still happen when I disable the Firewall and Defense+ indivudually (i.e one disabled and one enabled), when I stop CIS from running at Windows startup the error does not happen!

I think we could try the following:
Open GUI, D+, Advanced Settings, D+ Settings enable “disable D+ permanently”.
Now reboot and see if the problem is “gone”, if so we know it problem is D+ related.

I’m not sure where your security profiles come from, if you did a clean install you should have the following:
COMODO - Internet Security
COMODO - ProActive Security
COMODO - Antivirus Security
COMODO - Firewall Security

I am now testing Avast with CIS .477. It sounds like you have some registry mixup with CIS with your security configs. I think it would be best to uninstall CIS maybe even in safe mode and then after a reboot do a registry clean with a good registry cleaner. You do not have to delete all that it finds just the things that pertain to CIS or CFP. Make sure that Avast is working well and then reinstall the complete CIS suite. After installed choose Proactive security configuration and then if you wish you can disable CIS antivirus. CIS and Avast work amazingly well together. In my test I have both A/V’s running with no conflict whatsoever. The only difference is that I have SP2 not SP3 for XP.

Here is Comodo registry cleaner.

John

Thanks for replying guys, when I disabled D+ I tried both ways “disable D+ permanently” and through the Security Level setting “Disabled” the error still happens. I do have all those profiles!

JJasper, I will try your solution and get back to you, thank you!

I thought I would reinstall Version 3.5.57173.439 the version which did the error randomly (not every time I started Windows, like the newer updates from February 12th), once again these errors did not show up in the Windows Event Viewer on startup.

I did notice when I ran HijackThis this entry:
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\WINDOWS\system32\guard32.dll

Now I’m pretty sure it’s that’s a Comodo entry.

I reinstalled .477 with the whole complete suite like you suggested JJasper and the problems still exist, but when I ran HijackThis the entry was not there, but guard32.dll was/is on my computer.

Right now I have reinstalled .477 once again, but with only the Firewall with Maximum Proactive Defense+ enabled.

I guess I will have to carry on with my solution of not letting Avast! Web Scanner start at Windows startup and starting it just before I go online!

Thanks to everybody for their ongoing help :slight_smile:

I’ve seen that also they appear not to use AppInit hooks anymore, from this:

It looks like M$ is abandoning this, and it could well be that that’s the reason it “disappeared”.