AV scanner slowing down Irfan Veiw

I’m absolutly agree. AV slows down extremely my PC. I turned it off, too.

After resizing, saving a picture in Irfanview. Without CAV: instanly, without delay. CAV turned on (on access or stateful - the same): I must to wait 15 seconds! New HP laptop, Intel i3, 2 core.

Virus in image? NONSENS.

Dear Comodo technicians: is there a way to setup CAV, as normal AV must work: to scan only new files, coming from outside (browser, mail, CD, pendrive), but not my own files, on my hard drive?

IMO: any antivirus must have a setup variant: “Yes, I’m not a child, and I know, that my own files on my own HD are safe - don’t rob my time!”

No way?
Or no reply?

This is just one of many examples:
http://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/2qyxqa/can_an_image_downloaded_from_the_internet_contain/

image files can and do carry viruses. Don’t be misleading. Don’t be fooled.
CIS is doing its job of protecting your computer.
If you do not want nor wish this protection, please, uninstall CIS.
Optionally, you can add an exclusion to the AV, not to scan any image files (just add “*.” plus the extension you wish not scanned.
But, if you do get infected, remember, it was your choice to not allow CIS to verify your files as clean.

Thank you for your reply.

I have all my media files (images, musics, books, movies) on D and W drives. I add both whole drives to exclusions - with no effect, CAV still scans them, if turned on. Add Irfanview to safe apps, too, with no effect, too.

I know about risk; but I wrote about OWN files. I scan manually (now no other way) all incoming files - but, truth to tell, never images or music files. I can not forget: for 20 years of my computing experience I never get a virus in picture or music file (I have them 2 TB). Everything has a price. If the next 20 years there will once this situation: I have backup.

EDIT
I trying again - plese, wait.

I resized and saved a picture with Irfanview, from 40 MB png to 96 KB jpg. Without CAV: ~1.5 seconds. With CAV: 4 seconds.

1. So, now I can not reproduce my prevous story with 15 seconds, despite that file was much smaller (and PC’s condition [CPU+RAM] is the same - small resource using, 2-10%) - but this phenomen, I think, I must to addresse to billgates (win7x64).

2. CAV settings > Exclusions > Apps > Irfanview: works*, turn CAV off.
    CAV settings > Exclusions > Files and folders > whole D, or only D\Media: does not work, CAV still scans the newly created file.

I can add all of my media apps (~30) to exclusions, but it’s not a very elegant solution. Have you got an idea, why does not work the folder type exclusion? Thank you in advance.

• Previously I wrote, that I already added Irfanview to excluded applications, but now I found, that I added it in the Defense+ section, not in CAV. I found CAV app exclusion ability only now. In truth, it’s not easy to find this chance in settings. And, from the other hand: if I said to Defense+, that I believe in Irfanview, why AV still thinks, that he must scan Irfan’s activity? It’s not very logical.

The trick is to add a file under Exclusions → Excluded Applications and then edit the path to something like ….….…\foldername*.

I split your posts, made it a topic and moved it here.

Thank you for your reply.

I’m afraid, I did not exactly understand your proposal. I would like to avoid adding my media related programs in the Excluded Applications, because they are ~30 (players, redactors, scanners, and so on), and the number may grow. Instead, I want only add in Exclusion places folder D:\Media and whole drive W. So any activity on files in this places will not scanned by AV, despite, what application do it.

To add d:\Media to the Excluded Applications add a random file from that folder. F.e add d:\Media\name.ext . After adding it select d:\Media\name.ext and edit it. Then change the path to d:\Media*. Now the AV will no longer scan that folder. You can follow the same procedure to add drive W.

Unfortunately, it did not provide the expected result.

I gave it up - added all apps in excluded apps.

Any way, thank you for your help.

NOW: real time CAV freezes Firefox and it’s flash plugin. Taking them into exclusions does not help.

I gave it up with real time CAV, totally - turned it off. It’s suitable only as a manual scanner, no more.

Do you have other security programs installed that run in the background alongside CAV?

No, and never had (fresh machine install).

!ot!About 8 years I used Comodo’s firewall (it is really excellent) with Dr.Web AV; but nowaday it became too agressive and less useful; so I decided to try Comodo. Was it a good solution or no, hmm…)

As always make sure there are no leftovers of security programs you had installed in the past. A possible left over can cause all sort of “strange effects”. Please run clean up tools for all security programs you had in the past. A list can be found here at the Eset website: ESET Knowledgebase .

There are no leftovers. As I wrote, it’s a fresh, clean install (1 month) of the laptop. Dr.Web was on my (and family’s) previous machines only.

Sorry for missing you are working on a freshly installed machine. I have never seen cavwp.exe react adversely to the OPera x64 plugin container or FF and its plugin container (I use FF not much I predominantly use Opera x64). I am not sure what is happening on your system that the problem seems to progress and effect programs it didn’t do before. It seems a bit erratic. Hence why I ask the following.

Can you check the Tasks logs to see if around the time the FF/plugin problem started cache cleaner/cache builder was running? This will temporarily make cavwp.exe active.

Can you also check for malware with Hitman Pro, Super Antispyware, Malwarebytes Antimalware and TDSSKiller?

It might be a bug but to establish that we need to rule out it is a problem with the CIS installation by doing a clean install following Most Effective Way to Reinstall CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems by my colleague Chiron. It will provide a reliable clean starting point.

Excuse for my late. Thank you for your tips.

But, as I wrote earlier, I gave it up with real time CAV, totally. I have no more time to try, may it work or not. I want to use my PC. As I wrote earlier: everything has a price. This price is too big for me.

Have a good day.
Lajos