Audio stuttering with CIS

Hi,

this thread is probably in a wrong section, but after looking at the subforums twice, it seems to fit here the best.

My issue is that whenever I have CIS (or just the Antivirus) installed on my system, it suddenly starts to have audio stuttering/crackling/distortion. None of the alternative products (I’ve used Avast 5 & 6 for months, trying out CIS/CAV every now and then to see if this problem still exists) have this problem. It seems to be related to high CPU spikes, so whenever CPU is being hogged, there’s audio problems. This can be experienced especially during full system scan where it happens pretty much all the time. What I don’t understand is that why this doesn’t happen with any other products (or no products at all), even with high CPU usage when listening to audio or watching a video.

I’e also ran DPC Latency Checker during the scans whenever the stuttering happens and there’s no spikes of any sort, the latency is still in the green zone. I’d really like to ditch the old “legacy AV solutions” but I can’t stand the audio problems I have currently.

My system specs:

Asus P5B, E6300 [at] 2,8 GHz (Overclocked, and it’s rock solid stable), 4 GB of DDR2-800 RAM, 5 SATA Hard Drives (320, 320, 500, 1024 GB), ATI HD 3870 with Catalyst 11.2 drivers, Windows 7 64-bit. I’m using the onboard Soundmax audio solution currently, but this same thing also happens when using the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 card.

I’d be glad to answer any questions you can come up with and try to solve this. I’ve tried to search for a solution to this for months but that’s been a dead end.

Edit: The only re-occuring even that’s in the D+ logs is Setpoint.exe (Access Memory) which I’ve allowed to access the memory using the guide I found here on the forums.

Experiencing a degree of ‘stutter’ when there is considerable CPU activity is quite common, however, it shouldn’t persist.

Even though your test with DPC latency checker revealed little useful information, or gave indication that high DPC may be the cause, you may want to read through this thread. There was an updated driver posted that may assist.

As far as the setpoint.exe utility is concerned, if you don’t make use of the Logictech customisation options, you can probably disable the service.

The only thing I can think of is to make sure all previously installed security program are completely uninstalled by running their removal tools. Here is a list of them: ESET Knowledgebase .

If this and disabling all other security programs that run in the background does not help I suggest to file a bug report in the Bug Reports - CIS board following the format as described in FORMAT & GUIDE - just COPY/PASTE it!.