at least one third of internet users in china would never use comodo cis

I want you to start up the command prompt and from there run the following command several times: tracert download.comodo.com .

The tracert command will show all steps from your computer to the destination address. Run this command several times and see if the connection stalls at a fixed point. With stall I mean it shows packetloss of high ping times for one or two steps (hops).

Let me know if you need more explanation here.

here is the result:

Tracing route to download.comodo.com [91.199.212.171]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 497 ms 499 ms

How about a cloud AV with Comodo Firewall. Comodo will catch what gets past the AV and the AV has no database to install since its all in the cloud. :-\

That may be available with v6.

Thanks for the testing. When you run tracert download.comodo.com several times more do you get the same results? If you get different results can you please post them?

The tracert results very much surprise me; as they are it is hard to draw any conclusion. Can you show me screenshots of your Global Rules and Firewall logs (view Firewall Events)?

well,my global rules is stop all the incoming connections,and my firewall events are in chinese,can u understand it?by the way, i do this test behind a router for several times,the results are all the same.

and i am sorry,i don’t know how to make a screenshot.

i have tested updating virus definition of cis for serval times at different computers with the same isp after a clean install of cis,the results are all the same as i described before.i guess it should not be the problem at my computer,but the problem at the servers of comodo.

I am not sure if the problem is with the Comodo servers or with the road to the Comodo servers. That’s why I asked for the traceroute to see if a server and what server could be causing problems.

Can you change the UI to English and post the screenshots of the Global Rules and Firewall logs?

How to post a screenshot?

To copy a screenshot of the active window push alt+print screen to copy the active window to the clipboard (pushing print screen will copy the complete window to the clipboard not just the active window). The window is now copied to the clipboard. Paste the image in any image editing program, Paint, Paint.net, the Gimp etc. Use the “crop” function to resize the canvas to size of the image. Now save the file as 32 bits png image.

At the forum push the reply button. Or when using the Quick reply type some text and push the preview button.

Underneath the text box click on Additional options. Push the Choose button and navigate to the file and select it. When you want to post more images click on the more attachments link.

When done typing push the Post or Preview button.

here it is:

[attachment deleted by admin]

here are more:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Greetings!

1st that is definitely surprizing to hear offering of other products to Chinese users
Why ??? …. when there are Chinese Comodo developers (see about page)

So the Q is - why Comodo has to loose such a big market?

Is there some sort of local server in China in the 1st place?

Then, the size of downloads/updates are different matters even for those who are using dial-up there

As SolarLynx said re: mentioned cloud – that definitely & most likely was a joke :o and has nothing to do with a matter initially raised by any means

Leaving aside a substantial size of AV update, which can be changed/improved to some degree
…. why Comodo would not think about implementing Torrent protocol as many companies do?
(I mean both – the installer & AV updates)

That will be very reliable and much faster that anything even having stated Inet speed
Have you ever tried downloading Linux distros ~ 700MB and compare that to the traditional dloads ?
That’s ~4 - max 7min here using torrent & my broadband speed is pretty much average …(17-19Mbps)
Considering the number of potential users in China seeding … that would be much faster and more reliable even with dial-ups

In addition, another solution for many here & there, would be implementing “server like update”, where the server is responsible for main download(s) , but the computers that are LAN connected are fed locally from the server
The latter type is implemented already by some security & working flawlessly I may not be aware whether Comodo has something like that, so please correct me

… and so on … Some food for thoughts :wink:

Cheers!

http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens18237691_1311936679me-gusta-meme.jpg

Coranti is Japanese product.

You better delete the rule “Stop all the incoming connections” to allow tracert function normally or you may disable firewall a while during the tracert test.

At SiberLynx.

Rome was not built in one day nor is CIS but I am happy to see a smaller database is upcoming.

His Global Rules are fine; they are the stealth settings. Removing the block url is not needed and highly dangerous: it disables the firewall. The Global Rules when it comes to incoming traffic deal with unsolicited incoming traffic. The incoming traffic by tracert is expected traffic by the Stateful Inspection principle on which CIS and most other firewalls are based on.

Back to the issue at hand. At sdfsadfdfs. It is very unusual to see a tracerout turn up only blanks. I think a firewall in the router you are using may be playing a role here. Can you try the following? Try a ping and tracert to your router. Then do a traceroute and ping to a site anywhere on the web. Try a Chinese site of which you know it responds to ping, yahoo.com and ping.symantec.com.

I want to know if pinging and doing a traceroute to your router works or not. And to I want to know what the ping and traecrt to three sites on the web bring us.

my ping result to download.comodo.com is about 497ms ,to symentec.com is request is request time out.and to www.yahoo.com is about 238ms,and to my router is less than 1ms.
no matter where i try to tracert,it always shows *.

you can say it’s the problem of my connection,but if comodo don’t plan to set some servers in china,he would lose the whole market.

Also in China but feels that the updating speed is just fine~
But the suggestion is good: why not set some local servers & ADs in China? It’s a very very big market

I don’t know where the problem is as of yet. I am keeping al possibilities open.

I am just trying to get to the bottom of what is happening. It could be on Comodo’s end, it could be a transit router on the web that is giving a hard time, etc… That’s why I am focusing on the tracert at the moment.

Does tracert always show * also when doing a tracert to your router? The ping address for the Symantec website is ping.symantec; the command looks like ping ping.symantec.com (their web site does not have ping enabled if I recall correctly).

What ISP are you using? At sdfsadfdfs: what ISP are you using and what OS are you on?

ISP? It’s China Telecom.
But I think I have something here to specify: In China, the ISP you’re using has nearly NOTHING to do with your net speed…In different places, the very same ISP doesn’t mean the same service