(ask) learning piano at my age, lost cause?

hi
first of all, you might wanna ask “but hon, why did you make this thread in “cool stuff” section?”… duh ??? because i’m the the embodiment of anything cool & i ooze awesome.

or perhaps you’re asking “but ■■■■, why make the thread on this geeky forum at all?”, well, simple, i was banned from a dog lover forum because i once asked if i should teach my dogs to make puppy or they’ll figure it out themselves eventually… and i tried signing up on one of those fancy music forums and they’ve yet to approve me, might be something with the username I used 88)

about the topic title… I’m thinking of learning to play piano. Perhaps I should tell the story first, of what is it that motivates me to learn piano… on the off chance some hollywood producer wants to pick up the story to make a movie (I hope they make the actors speak with british accent, everything sounds better with british accent 88))

Last month i met a tax lawyer and he once told me about his education & how he ended up becoming a tax lawyer (off the clock of course) (this lawyer part should be played by robert duvall or charles dance), long story short, I’m impressed with this kind of smart people and at the same time I feel like sh*t, thinking “here I am, the almighty, talking with someone much much smarter than me & what did i do in my spare time? playing video games and teaching dogs on how to make puppies” (I think i once posted a question here about should or shouldn’t I be getting a dog, i did 2 years ago & then a second one early this year :azn: one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life).

after the meeting, at first I thought of getting advanced college degree…but there’s no local college in my town that offers masters degree. and then i thought, perhaps i should study something less formal…maybe learn some foreign languages (japanese or korean) but there’s also no japanese/korean language tutor to be found in my town.

…and then one day I happened to listen to this old song when i was driving; dream a little dream of me, the one i heard was sung by diana krall (accompanied by piano, can’t find the piano one on youtube) and i think hey, what if i learn piano? ganda the piano player, sounds about right, right?

my goal is to be able to decently play jazzy lounge music like this one or perhaps a song like this one but only good enough so i could enjoy it and won’t offend the neighbor (well, it wouldn’t hurt if my musical prowess can attract some chicks 88) but that’s not the goal, ping pong ball juggling could do the job).

the problem is; i have not one speck of musical talent in my blood (I think my ancestors were some butchers or serial rapists 88)) & no musical experience whatsoever (unless you count singing on karaoke while i was drunk as musical experience, it was certainly an experience 88)), i don’t know anything about chord, how to read musical note, i can’t recognize/identify a note when i listen to a song (is it a must to know how to play piano?)…if this is driving lesson, it’s like i can’t drive, i don’t know how to read road sign, and i don’t even know what a car looks like.

so, any opinion? brutal truth, blatant honesty… (since piano can be pretty costly, can’t afford the effort shock, i need to know if:

• there’s any chance i can learn and decently (not to master) play piano like i mentioned above or is it a lost cause?
  • how long (perhaps 3-4 years?), how many times a week should i practice and for how long each practice would take?
  • should i start with piano or maybe keyboard first? (since keyboard is cheaper 88))

like my grampa once said…“shoot for the moon…miss and die a horrible death”

thanks!!!

Cant admit i read the whole post but glanced it over. If I’m off track then please correct.

Try with some digital software and see what your learning curve is. Either it will come with what seems somewhat understanding or not at all.

One can only teach you about the other

Hi ganda,
While I think it is great that you are wanting to learn to play the piano, I think the discussion is better placed in the general discussion section.
Topic moved.

Thanks.

If you really want to learn to play piano then go for it. Just don’t have unrealistic expectations about how long it takes to become a reasonable player!
I strongly suggest having some lessons to learn the basics properly, especially if you have never learned another musical instrument before. If you practice frequently (several hours per week) you should see a slow but steady improvement.

Ganda, good to see you back on here after such a long hiatus.

Hello Ganda. nice to hear from you… :slight_smile:

hug? (:HUG)
it’s good to know that we share common butcher/serial ■■■■■■ ancestor, judging by both of your replies; not answering my piano questions indicates you guys also know nothing about musical instrument. aah warms my heart ;D

and this one boils my blood ??? …my magnum opus…and all you can say is a polite variant of TL;DR??? :o heresy (:AGY)

yeah, my account got approved by the music forum i mentioned above and most people said the same thing…except the one poster…asking why the topic title has the “ask” in parenthesis… :o that’s deep dude…why in the maroon hell i put the word “ask” in parenthesis? I don’t even know :o my whole life is a lie.

[at] captainsticks: is it you Josh? :o

btw, met a tutor, scheduled the piano lesson starting tomorrow, twice a week, 45 minutes each. took the plunge, either i get good at piano or I get carpal tunnel syndrome, whichever comes first.

You’re right about the ancestor. I did learn classical guitar for three years between the age of 12-15. I was technically good but when I stopped the world did not loose a musician. Self expression being key here. Wasn’t really raised to have a self in the first place…

and this one boils my blood ??? ....my magnum opus...and all you can say is a polite variant of TL;DR??? :o heresy (:AGY)yeah, my account got approved by the music forum i mentioned above and most people said the same thing...except the one poster...asking why the topic title has the "ask" in parenthesis.. :o that's deep dude....why in the maroon hell i put the word "ask" in parenthesis? I don't even know :o my whole life is a lie.
[at] captainsticks: is it you Josh? :o
You got the Aussie vibe right but he is not Josh. Josh stopped moderating.
btw, met a tutor, scheduled the piano lesson starting tomorrow, twice a week, 45 minutes each. took the plunge, either i get good at piano or I get carpal tunnel syndrome, whichever comes first.
I sincerly hope for the former. :)