Are Registry Protection and Safe Delete new names for *.REG export backup ?

I see no evidence that they exist ! !

I launched RegShot before a scan, and after the scan and clean when I had the choice to reboot or defer till later,
I firstly closed Regshot and inspected what had been done.

I could not see a new *.HIV file anywhere.
I am accustomed to a registry editor being able to export printable text in *.REG files that can restore Keys and Values, but do NOT have “permissions” information upon who can read and who can write.

I believe a set of keys can be exported as *.REG and the keys deleted and then imported,
After which the *.REG file has not stipulated who can write to what,
so I guess it is a free-for-all, or perhaps a default based upon the remaining parent key.
If any-one knows I would be interested in learning.

The important thing is that a *.HIV file has not only the keys etc., but also the permissions,
therefore a perfect restoration can be achieved.
The HELP manual indicates that Registry Protection backs up the Hives, so I expected to see a new *.HIV.

I then rebooted and was given the option to Finalize but I chose to Restore.
This confirmed to me that Registry Protection was supposed to have been active - where was it ?

In what way, and how, is Registry Protection different from or an improvement upon a normal *.REG backup ?

In what way, and how, is Safe Delete different from or an improvement upon a normal *.REG backup ?

Regards
Alan

The difference is in the driver.
The Safe Delete function uses a driver which task is to simulate the deletion of some files by denying access to them; after restart the user has to verify if everything works as before(installed applications or Windows behavior) and by this to choose one of the options available: Restore or Finalize;
The Registry Protection function uses the same driver in which case the tasks is to restore windows registry in case windows cannot start.

Thank you for your support.

Thank you

My sole concern right now is cleaning the registry and it does not work in the way I understand you to say.
Please advise me.

In settings “Use Registry Protection” has been checked.
I selected one of the items available for cleaning and deleted it, and a backup *.reg was created for
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2\Programs\ZTree]
I chose to restart later and saw the above *.reg file was present, shut-down various applications, and rebooted.
Start-up was normal apart from a Comodo System Cleaner window inviting me to check for damage and then choose to Restore… or Finalize.

I launched System Cleaner and it allowed me to see the settings and confirm I had checked the boxes.
I tried to SCAN and it refused to do so until I Restored and Finalized.

All the above is good.

WHAT IS BAD is that I see no way of testing for damage.
Both RegEdit and Registrar Registry Manager still have access to the …\Programs\ZTree] key,
and are able to export that key.

If an absolutely vital AntiVirus registry key is deleted because you were wrong, or because I wrongly used an advanced risky choice, how can I test for damage to AntiVirus ?
Surely if Regedit can still see and export the registry key, cannot AntiVirus also perform in its normal fashion,
and then I click Finalize and presumably that is when the key gets killed and AntiVirus stops working.

I assume that with luck the backup *.reg file should restore the registry key, but not any peculiar permissions that may specially exclude trigger happy users or invading malware from interfering with the content.

I have now chosen"Restore" and within 2 seconds I got the message the registry key was restored successfully.

Please advise, should I be able to test the effect of a registry key deletion that has not been Finalized ?

NB I unzipped the Portable Version=2.0.111095.7 onto a flash drive L:
I am using Windows XP Home edition with SP3.

Regards
Alan

Bump. That’s a good question. Does this still happen with 2.1.114194.1.? (Just catching up on the forums after being away for a while).