any way to achieve "safe parent app" functionality?

I’ve set up CPF rules to my liking, to the point where I get very few popups. Recently though I started using tools like SlickRun and PowerPro which allow you to launch apps using hotkeys, etc. Now I am once again inundated with an avalanche of popups, because all the rules so far only apply if parent application is “explorer.exe”. I’ve been editing all the rules and setting “ignore parent”, just to survive, but this naturally is very suboptimal. Ideally I’d like to specify somewhere in CFP that “sr.exe” and “powerpro.exe” are some sort of “safe parent applications”, that these should not trigger need for new rules. Or perhaps one could specify a group of apps (e.g., “explorer.exe”, “sr.exe”, “powerpro.exe”), and then specify in each application rule that the rule applies to that group of parent apps… naturally the latter is not implemented, as far as I can see, but hope springs eternal.

Is there any way I can do like the above “setting an app as a safe parent”? Or something equivalent which would forestall further floods of popups, while at the same time giving up minimal amount of security?

Hi mac

Usually the best way to do this is to let CPF learn (Learn Parent). However, whilst you cannot set groups of parents, you can specify the parent in Specify Parent (Application Monitor). But, it will require a rule for each application.

To be fair & open, there are a number of topics on this very issue (although not so specific) where users have complained about the number & frequency of CPFs pop-ups where a parent process (usually explorer.exe) is involved.

Groups of parents: You should add that to the CPF Wish List, I rather like the sound of that. Nice one.

Groups of parents: You should add that to the CPF Wish List, I rather like the sound of that. Nice one.

COMODO PTA :smiley:

Paul