Antivirus will not perform manual scans

CIS v3.9.95478.509

When I right click on any file and select Comodo Antivirus I get an error message saying “Comodo antivirus engine is not initialized!” It is set to On Access and running the diagnostics utility reports that everything is installed correctly.

Can anyone tell me how to get CIS to initialize its antivirus engine please?

Does the regular scan work (run from Run A Scan)?

Did you do a clean install of 3.9 or did you upgrade from 3.8?

It appears to although the line “Total objects scanned” always reads 0.

Did you do a clean install of 3.9 or did you upgrade from 3.8?

Clean install. Up until 2 weeks ago I had Webroot’s SpySweeper with antivirus. I changed to CIS because Webroot introduced a bug into their product which after 3 months they were still unable to solve.

I am getting zero files scanned on manual scan when right clicking a file or folder. Regular scans work OK, just the manual scan seems to be disabled. I looked at all of the exclusions and safe files…and all seems normal.
I did a clean uninstall and then installed again with latest of everything from Commodo site…still no manual scanning…always says “zero files” scanned.

Robert

This has been going on for months. It will never work because they just don’t care.
If you want an antivirus that can manually scan something you will need to look elsewhere than Comodo. :-TD

Sorry guy’s but AV updates for 3.9.x and previous are no longer updated.
Please upgrade to 3.10.x.531 to get the latest AV protection.

Who is talking about updates Ronny?
We are talking about Comodo’s inability to run manual virus scans …and that’s with the current version!

Here’s a couple of screenshots to prove it:

http://i31.tinypic.com/14xzepl.jpg

I only read this, there is no trace of you posting that you upgraded to 3.10.x.531 after that so that’s why i posted.

If the engine is not initialized at startup and it also does not after a few minutes try the following:
Boot in to safe-mode, go to c:\program files\comodo\comodo internet security\scanners and rename/move all .cav file’s. Now copy back the *.cav files from the …\repair folder and reboot your system.

Once rebooted check for AV updates and see if it works after updating…

If not it could be conflicting with other security software perhaps, what other security software do you have installed no matter if it’s real-time or on-demand?

Thank you for your reply Ronny. I have done what you suggested but Comodo still will not run a manual scan. I am also running SpywareBlaster and Spybot S&D on this machine. I have no other security software installed.

7Leagues, the statement is a bit unfair. Comodo cares and CIS can run manual scans… just not on your system.

I have no issues running manual scans. I have tested CIS on WinXP, Vista and W7 (all in x86 flavor), all run manual scans without any problems.

May I suggest that you try uninstalling CIS and other security software. Ensure that you manually delete all leftover files after a reboot. Then re-install CIS. Also, when reporting an issue, include some information about your system.

Does your CIS System Status go to the Green Check mark ? or does it stay initializing ?

@ bulgroz
Until today, I never received any suggestions on how to solve the problem, and this is not the first topic I have opened on the matter. When you consider that we are talking about a span of many months, can you blame me for thinking that Comodo doesn’t care?

I have actually already been down the route of a total uninstall and reinstall when I updated to v3.10 and it made no difference. I’m not the only one with this problem because there have been several other posts confirming the same issue. I have to admit that I’m not happy to uninstall SpywareBlaster and SpyBot S&D because I find them both very reliable. If it is a question of Comodo being incompatible with those applications I would prefer to switch to another antivirus solution.

FYI, I’m running Vista Ultimate SP2 on a Dell Inspiron 1720 with 2.6 Ghz Intel Dual Core CPU and 3 Ghz RAM.

@ Ronny
Where do I find the green check mark?

I have run CIS next to Spywareblaster and Spybot without problem, but i did not have S&D protection and teatimer active do you run one or both of those ?

I was referring to this one:

[attachment deleted by admin]

I have not tried CIS in Vista SP2. I also run Dell Inpiron 1720. Did you have a look in the event viewer to see if there are any errors related to Comodo?

Check that the service “COMODO Internet Security Helper Service” is set to automatic and that it runs. Sometimes it helps to set the service to restart on first failure (under the recovery tab of the service properties).

Ensure that cfp.exe is set in the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\run
COMODO Internet Security “C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe” -h

Have you tried to run the Diagnostics under Miscellaneous?

Sorry if I am pointing out things that you already done.

Cheers