Antivirus Scanner bugs and crashing

From a KNOWN clean PC, scanning a Known infected external drive:

Bug 1: Comodo antivirus scanner is crashing whilst scanning an external drive. When this happens, the drive scan stops (the drive activity LED stops blinking) but Comodo will report the scanner as still busy if you try to tell it to scan again. The only way I can correct the matter is to reboot.

Bug 2: When the antivirus scanner crashes, the threats it had already detected during the scan isn’t logged in the antivirus events logs.

Bug 3: When the antivirus scanner crashes, there is no way to get it running again, nor is there any way to continue the scan from where it left off.

Bug 4: Comodo heuristics scanner reports a number of valid windows files on the external drive as threats.

Edit: Using latest version of Comodo and virus defs.
Edit2: Possibly the cause of the scanner crashing is a damaged file system. Chkdsk is finding some problems. However, even if that is the cause, Bugs 2, 3, and 4 are still valid bugs.

I have the same problem, but on an internal drive. Scanner fails at approx 905,000 files each time I run it. Appears to be running but Windows reports memory error with cmdagent.exe.

I have found a way to get it working again without reboot. I run Comodo diagnostic, it reports error, I let it fix this, then Exit Comodo and restart.

I do not have damaged disks (I have run a recent scan).

It appears that Comodo is either corrupting its memory stack or simply running out of memory. After scan fails Comodo cannot be run properly, I get “insufficient resources”.

How do we get this fixed???

William

+1 BUMP
latest version V4 just installed and getting same problem. Scanner just freezes wonrt let me stop the scan.
win xp home sp2 …no other security software running.
Also I notice V4 makes boot up take longer :frowning:
Not overly impressed at moment

Just to note I excluded the program files folder and did another scan. It locked up again at another point but this time when I clicked stop scan a window came up saying " stop failed. Error code 0x800705a. Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service".
So I still haven’t managed to do a complete scan yet with V4.
Please look into this matter
Thanks

I discovered by accident that the “insufficient resources” message is caused by the cmdagent.exe task no longer running. This is the task that is failing during the scan.

I sure wish we could get Comodo to fix this!

Please all verify the Windows Eventlog’s there should be crash details for cmdagent.exe in there, if you can find them please post them here…

I just installed CIS on another PC that had been running just the firewall. It killed it. Once it had rebooted it was so slow I couldn’t even bring up the Task Manager. The only way I could get it going again was to boot in Safe Mode, find and rename cmdagent.exe, and reboot. I quickly uninstalled CIS.

I see other threads here about problems with cmdagent causing similar problems from back around October 2009, so this is not a new problem

Sorry Comodo, but I don’t have time to debug your software. I paid for Pro, and expected it to work. If it only failed on one PC I’d say maybe there was something on that PC, but when it fails on two in the same way, it’s time to seek alternatives, and I have. ESET ran on both PC’s with some performance impact but it didn’t kill them. Now Comcast is offering free Norton Security Suite, so I removed CIS and tried that instead. It installed quickly and cleanly, and the PC runs fine now.

With CIS I also got tons of virus warnings on files that I KNOW aren’t infected (many are my own programs!). I tried ignore, exclude, reporting them etc but each scan manages to find the same false positives again somehow.

It seems to me, both from my experiences and from what I read on these forums, that you are relying too heavily on your users to do your testing and debugging.

Time for me to cut my losses and move on - there’s work to be done for my customers and I need to be spending my time on that rather than chasing your bugs and problems.

William

Hello, KyferEz,

Can you try again with a new build and update the virus database to date?
You can download the new build 828 from: https://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-cis/comodo-internet-security-40141842828-released-t55172.0.html

Any problems, please contact me. E-mail address: xukun@comodo.com

Thanks,
Kun from AV Engine team, China

Hey, nalacknick,

What is your product version and database version when you got this problem?
You can see the version No. on “More”—“About”.

And while scanning, can you locate which directory you got freeze on?
If you can, please send me that directory, my email address: xukun@comodo.com

Thank you,
Kun from AV Engine team, China

Symptom: AV scanning “hangs” after a few minutes, trying to stop the scan will hang the PC.

For me it reaches about 45000 files before it stops. Usually in SysWOW64 or winsxs directory.
Happens both in manual system scan and in scheduled scan.

Event log:

Faulting application name: cmdagent.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4bbe2d89
Faulting module name: unarch.cav, version: 4.0.10366.825, time stamp: 0x4bbe2da3
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000005d21f
Faulting process id: 0x398
Faulting application start time: 0x01cae8a445e53ca8
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\scanners\unarch.cav
Report Id: 2e572725-556d-11df-b5ac-0022153a8531

DEP only for windows files.
Comodo Internet Security Free
Product version: 4.0.141842.828
Virus Signature Database Version: 4738

[attachment deleted by admin]

I used the newest build to scan my system path but not repro, so can you please use Process Explorer to locate the files which caused the freeze in cmdagent process ?

Thanks,
Kun