Anti Virus

How about an on demand only AV scanner to compliment a fully functional AV such as Avast, Avg etc?

Why not just turn off On-Access scanner in CAVS? Or is that too simple of an answer…? :wink:

Seriously, though, why do you want them to develop another AV product, intentionally limiting its capabilities, instead of focusing on finishing out CAVS, which is well on its way as a full AV product?

LM

Wouldn’t turning off on access scanner be a waste of resources? Why not have a stand alone device aswell to compliment other AVs? Maybe a better scanner than the full AV with the ability to delete and possibly repair infected files? Maybe full blown Cavs will stop all viruses and such! If that is the case why do people have multiple antispy programs,spyware terminator,spywareblaster along with Boclean? Hey it’s just a suggestion i could have asked for a PC Healthcheck and optimizer program. Ooh and a toaster!

Hi Stuartm (:WAV)

To add my bit, a layerd approach to internet security is advisable i.e hardware firewall/softwarefirewall, antivirus/H.I.P.S, severall antispyware solutions is considered appropriate as antispy generally have lesser detection rates compared to the likes of A/Vs.

Thats not to say that u have to have all these products but its like going fishing, with two rods effectivly ur percentage of catching something goes up!

To an extent i like ur theory, but for an on-demand scanner i use hackerguardian/kaspersky online scanners for that.

p.s that toaster sounds good…lmao
Novie

Yeh especially if you can toast teacakes and thick slices plus how about a self cleaning crumb tray? Bitdefender have the scanner for free

My advice for u stuart is, get that toaster thing on a patent right away…i think it could catch off… :BNC

Cheers.

Novie out.

Will do before George Foreman adds it to his range! Thanks Stuart

Yeah, I use that as a backup scanner to CAVS. But this is only because CAVS isn’t fully mature yet. Once it’s final, I’ll be dropping Bitdefender. I don’t really see the need for multiple AV scanners; if you have a good one active, in my book that’s probably enough.

Antispyware applications seem to be a lot less effective, but modern AV apps seem to be crossing over more and more into the area that was previous relegated to AS apps.

BOClean should be a good backup to either/both.

LM

In your estimation how does CAVS currently stand with the likes of AVG or AVAST and are the expectations that it will greatly improve on these?

I think conventional testing (defined loosely as pouring a bunch of malware in a bucket and dropping the AV file scanner in to see what it catches) says it catches somewhere in the 70 - 80% range.

In a scenario where the HIPS module is used, this increases to nearly 100%. But that’s not the file scanner alone (whether on-demand or on-access).

Comparing apples to apples, CAVS’ file-scanning capabilities are not on par with other, more mature, AV products such as you have mentioned.

Expectations of improvement? Yes, absolutely. Here’s some of the buzz about the next version (currently in development):

New scan engine (stronger, more efficient, faster, less CPU resources, better detection)
BOC definitions integration (BOClean has 10+ years of malware definitions to be added to CAVS database)
BOC operations integration (somehow they’re looking at integrating the way BOC works, into CAVS - probably part of the scan engine design)
Resolution of some of the existing complaints/problems/bugs with the current CAVS.

I think when it’s all said and done, CAVS is going to ■■■■ the competition away, much as CFP has done. They’re already doing some cool stuff. For instance, the current CAVS has two processes running for the main scanning; this was done to reduce load, improve scanning, and as a redundancy of sorts as well. Kevin (of BOC) has commented on reviewing CAVS that their design for that is pretty cool (it’s in a post of his, somewhere in the forums…). Being as Kevin doesn’t seem to give out praise very readily, I take those comments pretty seriously.

Anyway, that’s kind of a quick forecast on CAVS, based on what I’ve learned and gleaned about it all.

LM

Sounds special! Would it integrate with xp1,xp2 and vista? How far of is it’s release? Next few months or so?

I think Melih has said they’re shooting for beta testing to start sometime late this summer. Given typical timetables for such things to get through to completion, we’d probably be looking at a final release toward the end of the year, maybe… Just a guess, though.

I know Vista is one of the things they’re working on for that, and 64Bit support as well.

LM

How about xp1 and xp2?

XP will remain as well. As far as SP1 or 2 versions, I have not heard anything about it not being functional with SP1. However, CAVS 2.x (on the download page) specifies (officially) that it only supports XP (SP2) & Windows 2000 series (SP4 or later). This would lead me to believe that SP1 for XP would not be officially supported.

LM

My take on it,given the extended time that CAVS has been in beta is that the developers are concentrating on the next gen AV,which will be rebuilt from the ground up.I think I read somewhere that the full product can be expected mid way through 2008.

Yeah, they’re doing a major overhaul. Melih has reported they’re doing some tweaking right now, so they must be getting closer… Obviously, though, it’s all conjecture until it actually hits the streets (er, web).

LM