Anti Virus (Desktop Security Software) Tests : What do you want to see in them?

Yes, this would get my vote.

4)Ability to Prevent known or unknown malware from infecting your pc

• Ability to remove malware completely from your infected PC:
    so that you keep your pc clean and free of viruses/malware.

Yes Creasy, that would be nice to have.

You see, this is exactly why I did this poll.

People confuse what an AV test is.

AV test as its carried out today does NOT test if you will stop viruses/malware from infecting your PC.

They think unless it can detect the malware it cannot protect you. This is so far from the truth… And these av testing organisations do not make this abundantly clear to people who rely on their test results.

AV test only proves one thing… It finds the malware it knows about.

It cannot speak about its prevention capability for malware it doesn’t know about! And thats what we call PROTECTION! Ability to protect you from known or uknown malware.

Melih

+1 :-TU

So where are heuristic and generic signature abilities of detection/protection for many AV solutions in your picture?

So your telling me that I should expect different results from Comodo Standalone antivirus between real time and on demand scanning?

I didn’t think so. It doesn’t make a difference (atleast In cavs case…) between dormant or executed malware… they use the same sigs. Remember I’m talking about anti virus, not defense+ etc.

The memory scanner can detect Malware that the on-demand scan cant. So you should expect different results.

It’s the standard CAV that is scanning the memory, integrated with ye old’ BOClean sigs.

How does that work? There are two different databases?

Unless, are you saying that the on-demand scanner isn’t able to detect the contents of an encrypted packer, yet when it is un-packed the memory scanner can grab the payload? That is understandable, but if you mean that the memory scanner is somehow able to detect more malware than the on-demand scanner using the same definitions, that sounds a bit messed up. ???

That is correct.

on demand does use an emulator…
but no emulator can be 100%…
so there is always some you might miss that you might be able to catch in memory…
thats why memory signatures are very powerful…

Melih

So comodo real time and on demand have different detections? (Just want to hear it from the horses mouth :slight_smile: )
Thanks.

What about the integration of BOClean engine?

NEW! Integrated In Memory Virus Scanner(i.e. Integrated BOClean)

Wasn’t a real time addition focusing on memory? :-TU

Indeed. Memory signatures are more like Behaviour analysers where when things gets executed they kick in. They are different things.
Melih

Ok, My apologize, I am wrong.

I vote #3 but your poll lacks a selection for “all of the above”

Edit: spelling

It lacks a lot of options. 2.6k views only 47 votes.

what comodo’s av doesn’t pick up comodo’s defense + will.When correctly configured defense + stops everything and anything including fake av’s getting on your PC.You will not find anything better,trust me as I have tried them all,yes!,all of them.

Mine is a combination of 3 and 2. Offcourse first of all prevention but no security set up is perfect so it must be able to remove malware as well

all this is nice, I would just like it to work and update without problems.