Another browser... what a surpize! :)

Greetings all

PortableApps introduced another browsers Iron

Quite recently there were Maxthon and Opera (needless to say about Firefox stable & betas)

Few points stated by “Iron” sound interesting

Anyway, because it’s Portable it can be installed on hard drive as well & probably worth testing

Cheers!

Did do know you don’t have to download the Iron browser from protableapps. Likewise with Opera. You can download zip versions of both and they don’t come with all the portableapps baggage.

Iron - SRWare Iron - The Browser of the Future
Opera @USB : download your free version of mobile Opera :

Hi Radaghast,

I do know about zip versions, and I do use quite a few of them, but I do prefer “portables”
I’m long term user of portables knowing all advantages they offer, on the contrary to what you stated . What “baggage” ???

My regards

99% of the applications and utilities I use are non-installer varieties. I simply prefer to unzip an application/utility to a directory of my choosing, without having to run some third-party installer, which ultimately does the same thing.

The situation may be different if you have an application that needs to have certain components unpacked in certain specific locations and perhaps relative paths set.

Perhaps ‘baggage’ was a little OTT, but I’m sure you understand what I mean…

same here - trying Universal Extractor on a exe file will often create a folder with the files from the exe in and a sub-folder {app} with the exe for the app itself. In many cases this will run successfully.

I’ve tried to use Thunderbird Portable but can’t get the profile recognised.

Yes, I do & thanks for the reply, Radaghast
True, but … an installer <>.paf.exe for portables in most cases has some advantages compare to simply unzipped “portables”. The latter may not be completely self- contained App. after all… and so on … I’ve no intention to go deeper !ot! with this - that can be found out there.

Finally, some Portables may use another portables :slight_smile: being installed separately & that is taken into account as well including their non-synchronous updates.
The example would be - Portable Java. All Apps. that may need it, say Firefox … knowing the structure of Portable installations as a whole will use it - no questions asked.

Hi giraffe,

Well, again a bit !ot!, but I tried Thunderbird Portable (again, the “<>.paf Installer” in the past and had no issues with profiles.
More over, that was used on several computers of my clients.

What made me abandon Thunderbird at that time was the following.
Users were playing with different AVs & they did not care (rather forgetting my advice) about the real-time e-mail scanning that has to be disabled straight away during or after the installation of AV. Therefore many of them lost their e-mails forever.
Thing is that (at least in the past) Thunderbird kept all emails in one file. So if AV’s e-mail scanner broke it - all is gone :o
That’s a bit better organized in clients like OE. You may loose a few index files/“folders” but not everything in one go.

Anyway, there is another e-mail client in development (Alpha stage) instead of Thunderbird - Miramar

Cheers!

!ot!

This is something I do quite often, too.

I've tried to use Thunderbird Portable but can't get the profile recognised.

If you just want the ability to place the Application and profile where ever you wish, as opposed to having everything lumped together for a flash drive, you can down a zipped build of TB (in fact most Mozilla applications) Index of /pub/mozilla.org/ thunderbird / nightly

Unpack the application to a location of your choice and create a short-cut to thunderbird.exe (it may be called shredder.exe if you use a nightly build) Modify the short-cut target by adding a -p at the end. Now when you launch the application from the short-cut it will run the Profile Manager. This will allow you to place the profile where ever you wish. Unfortunately, this isn’t a true stealth installation, as it will write crash reports and a profile.ini to the Appdata folder.

You could also take a look at X-Thunderbird but this is just a variation on a portableapps theme.

Thing is that (at least in the past) Thunderbird kept all emails in one file.

Perhaps this is a consequence of using the portableapps installer. Certainly, for as long as I’ve been using thunderbird (several years) both the zip build (which I use, see above) and the standard thunderbird installer, use a folder hierarchy for mail storage. Every mail account gets it’s own folder and file set.

Slightly less !ot!

A good alternative for portable applications can be found at The Portable Freeware Collection

Thanks for the reply, Radaghast
Unfortunately I gotta run … sorry… so I have to be as brief as possible

No, that is not “a consequence of using the portableapps” & that has nothing to do with “Every mail account gets it’s own folder”

What I was saying that the folder(s) and all e-mails were handled as one single file.
No indexing files & respectively several folders for any given account and/or identity

That is different, therefore if AV real-time ■■■■ scanning is in place - you loose all that belongs to that account/identity completely & forever immediately in one go without any chance of recovering even a part of it

As pointed above - If the latter implementation/management of e-mails was changed since the last time I and my clients were using ThunderBird - that is a different story
If so, please tell

Cheers!

Seems like I misunderstood your last post. I can see now you’re referring to the inbox file and it’s associated index etc.

[i]That is different[/i], therefore if AV real-time ■■■■ scanning is in place - you loose all that belongs to that account/identity completely & forever immediately in one go without any chance of recovering even a part of it

Not strictly true. I personally don’t use any ‘real-time’ antivirus solutions and if I did, I would disable email scanning. That aside, the possibility of poorly written, or incompatible AV products, accidentally deleting the inbox, has been a known quantity for quite a while. It’s covered here Antivirus software

Anyway, it’s horses for courses what works for one and all that…

Thanks for the reply , Radaghast & understanding some points , but I am not sure about “horses for courses” in this context (most likely that’s my English, but I hope not … this time :slight_smile: ).

There are certain safety rules to follow when you are using security

This message is not clear: “I personally don’t use any ‘real-time’ antivirus solutions and if I did, I would disable email scanning.”

Disabling real-time e-mail scanning is correct and “must do!” indeed, but I don’t understand what you mean by “don’t use any ‘real-time’ antivirus solutions” ??? You have to in case you are using AV (some don’t, but that is another story).

I was referring to the damage that can be done by real-time e-mail scanning, but not the real-time solution(s) as a whole. So, what’s “Not strictly true”?

Real-time e-mail scanning was discussed many times in this forum and all over the Net. I can post the links if you want and those contain references to the articles written by e-mail security experts - not just by me :slight_smile:

As for

…Set your antivirus software to ask what to do or to at least only quarantine infected files rather than to automatically delete or “repair” them.
from the link you posted … that does not apply to e-mails actually - that applies to the settings of any AV solution when you use real-time AV solution, where even quarantining is a dangerous action
That is different
See the following, for example - that was written way before the article referred by you and that has nothing to do with the real-time e-mail scanning but apply to any AV solution with its real-time resident being active

I’m sure we are really close to “reading the same page” :wink:

Cheers!

“horses for courses” simply means what is suitable for one may not be suitable for another.

but I don't understand what you mean by "don't use any 'real-time' antivirus solutions"

I don’t use resident, ‘real-time’ antivirus of any description

So, what's "Not strictly true"?

Your original quote was:

you loose all that belongs to that account/identity completely & forever immediately in one go without any chance of recovering even a part of it

Which, as I said, is not strictly true. The page I referred you to provides solutions for the situation where you have an incompatible or poorly written AV, it also correctly points out that it’s not solely a Thunderbird issue.

Also, if you follow the recommended guidelines, the probability of loosing everything can be easily mitigated. I might also point out out that is one changes the settings for POP, to leave messages on the server, or one uses IMAP, then regardless of what happens at the client, the messages can be recovered.

that applies to the settings of any AV solution when you use real-time AV solution

That’s correct, the problem lies with the AV vendors and not the email developers.

Anyway, I’m sure you won’t mind, but I’d rather not get into a discussion about the pros and cons of various AV solutions and their respective abilities (or lack of) when it comes to email clients. As I said, I don’t use them and have even less interest in them.

:slight_smile: