an article on tweaking avg (using avg as a backup)

This is a nice article on tweaking avg (using avg as a backup) (the article is a couple of years old, but it still works :slight_smile: )

http://forums.tweakguides.com/showthread.php?p=84601
The new AVG8.0 Antivirus Free Edition is now out.

I’ve installed it on both XP and Vista, and it seems to work fine, however unfortunately as is the trend with security products (especially free security products), the latest version seems to contain more intrusive and annoying things than before.

The interface itself is OK:

However there are a range of things you should pay attention to while installing and configuring AVG8.0. First make sure to uninstall AVG 7.5 Free if you have it on your system. Then:

These instructions were updated as of 30 June 2008, but the latest version of this advice can be found in the PC Security chapter of the TweakGuides Tweaking Companion

1. After downloading the AVG setup file, right-click on it and select ‘Create shortcut’. Now right-click on this newly created shortcut and select Properties, then in the Target box, one blank space after the last character, enter the following text exactly as shown:

/NOAVGTOOLBAR /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

Run this new shortcut and it will start the AVG setup file with the parameters specified above. This will prevent AVG from installing the Linkscanner feature, AVG Security Toolbar and related web-browsing protection, all of which can result in increased CPU usage and slower web browsing. These features cannot be properly disabled from within AVG, so they need to be removed using this method. If you’ve already installed AVG then you can still follow this step and it should remove these components from your system. More details about this method can be found in this AVG FAQ.

1. During the installation of AVG, make sure to select the Custom option, and I recommend unticking the ‘Email Scanner’ and ‘Plugin for Microsoft Office’ components, as I feel they are unnecessary. Note: More recent versions of AVG also may have a Linkscanner option, untick this as well (if Step 1 doesn’t already remove it).

2. Once AVG has installed, start it and go to the Tools menu, then select ‘Advanced Settings’. I recommend the following settings:

• Under the Appearance menu untick the ‘Display system tray notifications’ box to remove the unnecessary AVG icon in the System Tray/Notification Area.
  • Under the Linkscanner menu untick all available boxes.
  • Under the Scans menu you should tick all boxes except ‘Automatically heal/remove infections’ in each case - this ensures that should AVG detect a false positive, it won’t automatically delete it from your system.
  • Under the Schedules menu untick every available option - instead I recommend updating prior to doing a manual scan at a time of your choosing.
  • Under the Resident Shield menu untick the ‘Enable Resident Shield’ box to disable this background functionality, as it can and will interfere with other programs and may reduce overall performance and stability.

I hope you guys like it :slight_smile:

edited: I removed some material just to be safe (I don’t want to break any copyright laws)

Interesting.

But you might be violating a copyright by quoting all that. But I don’t know :).

jay2007tech supplied the website as well, so no. :slight_smile:

Just like I did when I posted a guide. That guide was deleted because of that. ???

I didn’t really follow the whole guide thing so I don’t know exactly why they deleted it…

But in my opinion it’s normal. This is for another product, and he’s linking to the website. He’s not publishing it under a guide, he’s just saying : hey guys, did you see this ? So for me that’s something else then. Here’s a guide, just follow it. But hey, it’s actually from another website

Do you see what I’m pointing at ? 88)

Xan

It usually states on the website if copying is not allowed.
Dennis

Something like it…

I’m still trying to straighten this whole copyright thing out in my head. :slight_smile:

The way I see it: Do you think that tweakguides.com likes having content on their site posted on another site (Comodo.com), so that the people can now go to this other site instead tweakguides.com?

(:NRD)

Ok, so that is how you tell? Hmm.

At the bottom of the page it says: