An Antivirus/Antispyware Rescue CD

Wow! Great suggestions.

Seems to me a Rescue CD can be bootable and executed from an external medium prior to windows execution; and those utilities are out there already, and which some of you are already aware of. You are all very knowledgeable.

AFA a BIOS Virus; I believe it’s the CMOS (static RAM chip) that contains the actual malware. AFA I know, the BIOS is burned in at the factory, and cannot be changed. Any updates to the BIOS are written (flashed) into the CMOS and augment the BIOS. CMOS is changeable, and there are utilities out there that allow you to view and change it, so why would it be so difficult for a Hacker to do it?

Also, if your devices become unbootable, and your external AV can’t boot from any Physical device, then your only option would be to disconnect the System Board battery for 3 to 24 hours. That would cut off the minimal voltage that CMOS needs to stay active as a static RAM chip, and allow any capacitors to bleed off, and allow the malware to disappear. Correct me if I am wrong here.

Now, in the case of your Boot Sector or the MBR being infected, there are 2 commands on the Windows Installation and Windows Recovery CDs’ Recovery Console called FIXMBR and FIXBOOT which you should read the warnings for at the Microsoft Support site before using them. Could those commands be included with the COMODO Boot Rescue that potentially would be created?

In the case of a Hacker giving himself permission to modify Windows System files (including the backup system files), and making booting into Windows impossible; I don’t believe a Boot Rescue CD could rectify the problem. Perhaps there is a way that it could allow you to save all those files on a Flash Drive or on it’s own CD-RW after the last good scan as a recovery?

The problem with CD-RW or a Key is it’s susceptibility to being hacked. Too bad these devices don’t have a mechanical (like the old floppies), electrical or electro-mechanical write protect.

Hey, if you think this is worthy of a reply, please do. Even if it’s critical :slight_smile:

:ilovecomodo

I really think about a perfect rescue cd, i tried lot of rescue cd but those are rarely working.
I thoroughly believe that comodo can introduce good decent software for the market.
If it can boot from USB this will be a extra advantage.

Hi all,

If im correct or wrong please post your comments!!!

Until COMODO can sort out their weakness in cleaning, I don’t think there will be an effective rescue disk/usb.

I think a rescue CD would be awesome. I myself fix computers, and i am currently using Dr.Web CD. Comodo Rescue CD would be a great addition.

this is something I asked for a long time ago.

c

A bootable CD would be good for removing malware which prevents the computer from starting.

+1

Other rescue CD’s:

1. Dr. Web
  2. Avira
  3. BitDefender
  4. Kaspersky
  5. F-Secure

Some users use:
6. Vba32 Rescue
7. G Data BootCD

You can check also this comparison article.

Integrate Multiple Antivirus Rescue Disk into One Single Disc or USB Flash Drive with SARDU. The most compreensive cleaning CD.

+1

:slight_smile:

If we have 7 good free rescue discs why do you need 8th made by Comodo?

Freedom of choice is why.

What we really need is a Comodo CTM bootable CD

Of course, the detection rate of CAV need to be “better” than the others for the final solution to be better.

Wait for next version!

No need to wait… I’m using the beta yet…

You using Beta? What about Avast?

Look my signature…
Besides that, I’ve tested CIS 5 in my real computer for two weeks.
Pros and cons…

And what is your opinion about CIS 5?

Too early to post… I’m making my mind yet.
For sure it’s a strong and good firewall.
I liked very much the cloud scanning possibility. Posted already.
I have my concerns with the sandbox and the Defense+ on Safe Mode.
But, like I said, too early to post. Give me time (and experience with it).

love the usb idea, but ur ■■■■■■■ if you need it to work pre-boot.

perhaps something like the hardware profiles chooser in xp would work, or a boot manager that lets you decide which os to load,simply giving a comodo recovery option that times out after a few seconds before the os kicks in.

also if it could utilize a secure partition invisible to the windows os to store backup data.
with a recovery dvd/dvd’s or external drive option for extra reliability.

i have a shop bought pc with pre-loaded os recovery (i know, i know but i was in a rush), it restores my machine to “as new” condition very very quickly, having a comodo backup that does the same but using backups would be a brilliant bit of software.