Allowing internet access to an application

Hi,

I’m a former user of Zone Alarm, and there is something in Comodo firewall that puzzles me, probably just some thing I do not understand about the way it works. I’ve been allowing access to internet to the scheduled apdates of my antivirus through the popup aller window - the easiest way - by checking the window and granting access. It does work, but apparently comodo forgets it after a while and begins stopping the process again. As if it had memory problems.

Another strange thing is that I allowed access to my P2P by allowing its .exe, but, still it does not allow full access to the internet.

Finally one more thing. I’ on a network called Fastweb. I’m not sure, but apparently it works a bit like a proxi to the real internet. Also, I’m behind a D-linh router with firewall. I’m I just overkilling and making thing more complicated with another software firewall?

Apc your thoughts. Thanks

Hi, tonal, and welcome to the forums!

Here’s a link to FAQs on CPF setup, including P2P stuff:

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,894.0.html

Hopefully that will help with your p2p issue… :slight_smile:

When allowing your antivirus updater thru the CPF popup, are you selecting the box for CPF to “remember” the action to allow? If you don’t tell CPF to “remember” that action via the check-box, you’ll have to do it every single time.

Regarding Fastweb, are you experiencing any difficulty connecting to the internet/surfing/etc besides your antivirus update? If there are other issues, you may need to define a trusted zone to include fastweb as your LAN.

The D-Link router and CPF do not create a redundancy… The router with hardware firewall’s primary job is to keep bad things out, or in other words to control the way that the internet seeks to interact with your computer. CPF as a software firewall’s primary job is to keep bad things in, or in other words to control the way that your computer (and its applications) seeks to interact with the internet. If something is able to bypass your router’s firewall (like you download an infected application unknowingly), and your antivirus doesn’t catch it (for whatever reason), then your software firewall (CPF) should see and stop any attempt by the virus/virus-infected files to connect/expose your computer to the internet. So, the hardware and software firewalls complement each other’s security methods to increase your overall protection strength.

LM

Thank you, Little Mac, for your kind reply.
Yes, I did check the box to instruct CF I wanted it to remember that application. My antivirus checks for updates every time I turn my computer on, and the last three times I did so after posting everything worked smootly. The problem occurred three times last week and I belive now it might be somehow related to the fact I temporarly turned off Comodo in order to grant full access to P2P. Last time I simply set security to allow all instead then exiting Comodo and when I was back to custom I had no problems.
Now I’m checking your link to P2P configuration and hopefully this will solve the problem.
Thanks you answer on hardware-software firewall, I thought the same but sometimes I feel I tend to overkill. And waste time. (:WAV)

One other thought to keep in mind… If an application has changed since you told CPF to remember it, CPF will ask again. This is part of the Application Behaviour Analysis (“ABA”). If your AV updates caused a change to the executable, the next time it runs the udpater, CPF will recognize that it is not exactly the same, and prompt you again.

This is a good thing for security. If you know that you haven’t had any changes to a specific known file, and CPF asks you to approve its connection, you need to check to see exactly what the alert is saying, and judge whether or not to allow it. That is one of the things that makes CPF such a strong firewall…

LM