Allow phone to use Windows-created hotspot

Hi,

I have a windows 7 hotspot that shares my LAN internet connection over wifi. If I disable CIS firewall then the hotspot works fine. If however the firewall is running then my iPad will connect to the hotspot but won’t be able to get data from the internet.

I have been watching the logs and while iPad tries to connect it fires lots of entries that look like this:

Application: C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
Flags: Blocked
Target: In
Protocol: UDP
Source IP: 192.168.137.189
Source port: varies with each entry
Distination IP: 192.168.137.1
Destination port: 53

I tried making a global rule, like this:
Action: Allow
Direction: IN
Description: iPad
Source address: 192.168.137.189
Desintation address: 192.168.137.1
Source port: Any
Desintation port: Any

Well, it didn’t work, it kept on getting blocked and logged.

I have an application rule for svchost.exe which is ‘outgoing only’. Do I need to change that instead of creating a Global Rule? How do I set svchost.exe to be ‘outgoing only except for my Ipad’?

As you can see I am a beginner to networking stuff and am just prodding my way around.

I did some trial and error. By adding this to the Application Rule for svchost.exe, and then moving it to the top of the list (to increase priority), my iPad is now able to access the internet fine. Here again is the rule:

Action: Allow
Direction: IN
Description: iPad
Source address: 192.168.137.189
Desintation address: 192.168.137.1
Source port: Any
Desintation port: Any

If anyone has any comments to improve this, as I don’t fully understand what it does (I was just guessing about which numbers to put in where) then I would appreciate it.

Your problem was the ‘outbound only’ configuration.

position in list has nothing to do with priority its just a way of organizing list (and thats a good thing else it would be a total mess to configure what with hundreds maybe thousands of apps in the list. lol)

Its not a matter of priority, its a matter of when CIS encounters the rule it needs to grant access. It does that by starting at the top of the list of all rules and works its way through each item until it finds a match.

The most frequently encountered conditions should be first in both the firewall or D+ Obviously core system components will benefit the most from optimization of rule & rule-set placement to the top.

k in that case the only explanation is the the OP had 2 rules that contradict each other over the svchost.exe file

they should make it impossible to put 2+ rules on same apps, that’d make things simpler & avoid confusion in case someone forgets they made a rule on an app long ago & decide to make new rule on it