All Malware Executables Or Not

Hello Everybody, I’ve been reading up on D+ which I find to be a great HIPS and just wondered if all malware are executable files, or spawn executable files. My understanding is that if you visit a dodgy website that wants to infect you, or have downloaded some bad stuff, somewhere along the line an executable (exe, dll, com etc…) will need to be run on your machine in order to infect you.

Is this right or is it possible to get infected by a non executable file, and/or can a website infect you using non executable files.

I know this question might sound daft but I’m a newbie to internet security.

Any help would be much appreciated.

This my answer. Please wait for a better explanation.

of what I know malware has to be run by you or self executive malware but d+ will tell you if something want access in case the malware doesn’t have safe digital signature.

Regards,
Valentin N

Hello mathsman1968

Is this right or is it possible to get infected by a non executable file, and/or can a website infect you using non executable files.

Well, Anything that runs in the memory is a potential threat; also that goes in the hard drives/ also that runs in the virtual memory is a potential threat
;
Whether it be an executable file as defined in wiki
Wiki Qoute:

an executable file causes a computer “to perform indicated tasks according to encoded instructions,”

It would be a pretty big list if we listed all the file extensions that could infect our PC in some way :slight_smile:
Most Likely 30+ File Extensions
Some including are .js/.bat/.cmd/.exe/.msi/.dll/.sys/.com/.d30(old)/.vbs/.m/.maki etc etc

Hope this answers your question;

Also will post few links that may help you

Jake

Anything that is loaded by a program that has system rights can be malicious. Even a simple .jpg can infect a computer if it is programmed in a certain way. Exploits are used to make a usually innocent program be possessed by malware and cause it to wreak havoc on the system.

Thanks for your replies guys :-TU