All but 4 ports open. None stealthed??

I just finished the shields up test for service ports. All but 4 ports came up RED. = wide open. Installation is new. How do i get them stealthed??
I assume they should be.
GRC says my computer is visible to everyone on the internet.

Welcome to the forum, mltn.

Are you running a router? If so GRC is scanning the router, not your computer. If possible, bypass your router and re-scan.

Hello Soya,
Thanks for offering to help.
No, i am not running a router. My only protection is Comodo.
I redid the test today to verify that it isn’t a quirk. The place is GRC.com. the test is “All Service Ports”.
It determines the status of the system’s 1st 1056 ports. The results are the same as yesterday.
There are 5 green ports (stealthed 21 23 83 85 179), 1 blue (closed = port 443). All the rest are red (open).

I am running XP with SP2
AVG anti virus
AVG anti spam

Any suggestions??

Were the AVG applications running (active) when you installed CFP?

LM

Guys,
This is going to be a long reply. When you read it i think you will understand why. I will break it into 3 parts.

Part 1
For completeness, let me answer the above question first. I upgraded to the PRO version of WinXP on May 28, 2007. Here is installation records.

28 may 2007 install WinXP PRO with SP2
31 May 2007 install CFP 2.4.18.184
1 june 2007 install AVG anti spyware, AVG anti rootkit, AVG antivirus
scans reveal no infections no malware

7 June 2007 AVG crashes!!! Had to uninstall and reinstall

Twice during the 2 weeks, there were popups suggesting that I “OK” closing CFP because of ???
I do not respond to these type of requests. i simply reboot. They always go away.
I did not record these dates.

Part 2
I only check port stealthing and ram modules about twice each year.
My last check would have been about the 1st of this year.
At that time I was running Norton firewall. All ports were stealthed and no problems evident.
Sometime in April, Hughesnet, my ISP, forced me to switch from one-way connect to two-way connect.
I din’t think there would be any difference because both use Hughesnet supplied modems.
(Hello World is a simple program, right??)

Because of recent situation i decided to bring back my old computer and see how it reacts to this new Hughesnet modem.
SURPRISE, it also reacts identical to this open ports situation. I am 1000% sure, it always, for years and years gave a sign of all ports stealthed.
There is no way i can rejuvenate the one-way modem, because it is deactivated by Hughesnet.

The observable differences between the old and new Hughnet boxes are this.

The old was about twice the size of a typical PCI card and about 1 inch thick.
It worked off the USB port of the computer.

The new is larger than a full size motherboard and about 2 inches thick.
It runs off an ethernet cable connected to an ethernet card.
Hardware wise, it interfaces all communications going and coming from the satellite.

Part 3
Yesterday, I assumed that I would have plenty of time to reply, so I checked my RAM Modules. I haven’t done this since the first of the year. I used Memtest86+.
SURPRISE SURPRISE. 1 module showed random errors depending on the bit sequences applied. Both modules passed test #1. But, one module always showed random errors no matter where placed in the motherboard.
I have replaced the skipper module and for 2 days now, there are no more random RAM errors.
Both modules are working fine now.

At this point, I am very unsure of everything. I did use proper timing of my firewall and AVG installations, BUT, is it probable that the skipper module might have corrupted them during install??
What would you suggest?? Repair install, uninstall and reinstall?? What??

Next come the Hughesnet interface. It does connect different. It does work off an ethernet card.
The Summary page of CFP under subpanel “Adapter”, lists an adapter of, Instant Gigabit Desktop Network.
Even though I have just a single computer and no network.
Should I consider this a LAN and set up CFP accordingly??

I look forward to your comments.

Tnx for the thorough reply, mltn.

Satellite connects are a different thing, for sure. I think but cannot swear to, that you’re probably scanning your modem, rather than computer. I think it may have some router-like characteristics. What make and model is it? Perhaps we can do some research and verify that.

The NIC Adapter is probably showing “network” just as part of the name/description. Doesn’t necessarily mean you need to set it up as a LAN. Then again, with satellite, you might need to. But I’d only think that, if you’re having trouble connecting as it is now. If you’re not having trouble connecting, then why fix what’s not broken?

LM

Hello little Mac

My modem is HughesNet HN7000S System Control Center.
To get info i go to http://192.168.0.1
The info I get is probably not the same as what outsiders get because HughesNet recognizes my unit automatically. There is no software needed on my computer to get connected. In fact by activating another OS on a different partition on my hard drive, i can connect to the internet as long as my ethernet card has it’s driver set up properly.

Here is some info that I get from 192.168.0.1 under system info;
LAN1 IP Address 192.168.0.1
LAN1 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
LAN2 IP Address 0.0.0.0
LAN2 Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
NAT IP Address 67.46.104.204
NAT Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255

Then follows under satellite subpanel some Longitude and polarization info and then:
Router Address 66.82.24.9

Then under software Configuration subpanel comes
NAT Enabled
DHCP Enabled on LAN1
Firewall Disabled (from NOC)

I don’t know enough about these goings on to determine what is correct for me to do.
This referencing about LANS, Routers and NATs leaves me totally in the dark. I’m lost.
All that I know is that I connect to this big blue box with an ethernet cable from my ethernet card.

The NAT IP Address is the one that GRC said it was pinging to evalaute stealthing.

I can connect. That is not my problem.
My problem is determining whether my ports are really stealthed from outsiders.
And I think I should somehow know whether I am setting up CFP properly.
There will come a time, soon I hope, when i choose to block some IP’s

Let me know if anything here is useful.

G’day,

The ports on your PC ARE stealthed. The open port status you’re getting are for either the modem’s network adaptor that connects to the internet (as opposed to it’s IP address that connects to your PC - it sort of has two address and acts as a bridge between your PC and the ISP).

When you run the ShieldsUp port scanning utility, it is run against the IP address that was used to access the ShieldsUp site - in your case, 67.46.104.204. This is for the NAT IP, which is probably a NAT enabled router inside your ISP’s network that you connect through.

This can be verified by the simple fact that your PCs network adaptor has an address in the 192.168.X.X range and this is not the address being scanned by ShieldsUp. ShieldsUp port status requests never even got to your PC, only the resulting report did.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

panic’s right, mltn ~

That info you gave definitely clears it up. Not only is it spelled out with the config info you gave, but also by looking up the hardware and what it does/how it works.

It has built-in NAT (which stands for Network Address Translation); this means that the IP address the world sees (on the outside) is not the same as the IP address you see (on the inside). This is shown where it says the LAN (Local Area Network) IP is 192.168.0.1, and the NAT IP is 67.46.104.204.

It also has capabilities of a router, but this requires special configuration and they recommend using a separate physical router as a better means of serving those functions.

If you look at the Summary page of CFP, where it shows the Network information, it will probably show your IP address as a 192.168.0.x number.

Bottom line, GRC is not scanning your computer; it is scanning the HughesNET broadband device.

LM