After update and reboot, no apps run?!

I’m having trouble with CIS’s updates. I run the update, reboot, then none of the auto-load apps load, except for CIS! I also can’t get any other apps to load! The only exceptions to this are MS Win utils such as Control Panel and cmd.exe.

I am running Win Vista Home Premium 64-bit, SP1 with COMODO Internet Security v3.8.65951.477.

The only way I’ve been able to fix this is to do a System Restore to undo the update’s changes to my registry. I’ve tried the update twice now and both times I’ve been forced to do a System Restore to a point before the update.

(BTW, why doesn’t CIS’s update trigger creation of a Restore Point?)

None of my other apps, doing their updates, cause this effect. So I assume the problem lies with COMODO.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

From what version are you updating?

I would suggest to try a clean install instead of updating. When you are updating in the 3.8 branch you can safely export your configuration and import it again installing.

Start with exporting your configuration to a folder that is not part of the Comodo folder under Program Files. This way you can restore your configuration after the reinstall.

Uninstall CIS and reboot. Then run Comodo System Cleaner to get rid off registry keys.

Then delete the Comodo folders under Program Files, Program Files\Common Files, %username%\appdata\local, %username%\appdata\roaming\ and %username%\appdata\local\virtual store .

To be even more thorough open Device Manager and set it to show hidden devices under menu option View. Then see if there are Comodo driver(s) left in non Plug and Play drivers. If so select the driver → click right → uninstall and reboot.

Now you should be good to give the install a try.

I have this same issue. I cant get any programs to work except Comodo and Windows system programs until I uninstall CIS. I will try your suggestions when I get home today. Thanks.