After system restore to to pt. created by CIS, it still tries to run [M239]1[v6]

I attempted to install CIS v6 and received Fatal Error 1603. I then did a System restore using the Restore Point created by the CIS installer. When finished rebooting, I got an error message saying could not start CIS. I attempted to install CIS v5 and got an error saying a restart was need. I restarted and tried v5 again getting the same message. I then did a System Restore to an older Point and installed v5 with no errors.

This was a test on a W7 x64 system running under VMware Player. No version of CIS had ever been installed on this VM. There are several problems here:
Fatal error 1603.
Restore Point was created too late in installing v6.
The restart message did not solve the problem, only provided a infinite loop.

I see a number of people have seen the 1603 error. Most seem to be corrected by running various removal/uninstall tools. I had never installed CIS so this would have not worked. One site said to make sure the Windows Installer was running. It is not because it was set to Manual which is the default setting for this service.

I would be glad to hear what people think about these errors.
Thanks and enjoy, John.

Please try reinstalling CIS by following the advice I give in this topic.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Chiron, thanks for your reply. As I said I was able to successfully install v5 and am convinced that v 6 is not ready for prime time, so I will wait till later. As I stated, there had never been a version of CIS installed on the VM. So why did I get the fatal error? Is it really necessary for Windows Installer service (msiserver) be running? If so CIS installer should have started it and perhaps set it to Automatic. Why is the System Restore point not able to get rid of all remnants of CIS v 6? The Restore Point should have been created before any changes were made to the system I would recommend to users to manually create a restore point before starting the CIS installer. At this time I do not plan on installing v 6 until I read some better reports. Thanks and Enjoy, John.

This could have been caused by a bad install. Note that System Restore does not restore everything. Thus, it’s defintely possible for a program to install improperly and system restore to not entirely solve the problem.

Following my instructions still may be able to solve the problem.

Thanks.

The restore point issue certainly seems to be a bug. So … :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for your issue report.

We would very much appreciate it if you would be kind enough to edit your report to put it in the standard format and add any additional information requested, as this will make it much easier for the developers to diagnose and fix the problem.

The reasons we need all the information in the format, though they may not seem directly relevant to the issue are explained here.

If you are able to do this we will forward this post to the format verified board, where it is more likely to get looked at by developers. You can find assistance using red links in the format and here. If you need further help please ask a mod. If you do not add the information after a day or two we will forward this post to the non-format board. If this happens we will tell you how to rectify this if you wish to.

In the current process we will normally leave it up to you whether you want to make a report in standard format or not. However we may remind you if we think a bug of particular importance.

Many thanks again

Mouse

mouse1, thanks. I will submit this in the correct format, hopefully today but perhaps tomorrow. Enjoy, John.

Thanks very much

Mouse

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)
[ol]- Summary - Give a clear summary in the topic title, NOT here.

• Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:unknown
  • If U can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what U did & what happened:I installed v6 and received a Fatal Error 1603. I then did a system restore using the the point created by the v6 installer.
  • If not obvious, what U expected to happen:After using System Restore to not have any traces of v6 installation.
  • If a software compatibility problem have U tried the conflict FAQ?: N/A
  • Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:None
  • Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc:System Restore point is created too late in v6 install.
  • Always attach - Diagnostics file, Watch Activity process list, (dump if freeze/crash). If complex - CIS logs & config, screenshots, video, zipped program (not m’ware)
    [/ol]

B. YOUR SETUP (Likely the same for each issue, so you can copy forward)
[ol]- CIS version & configuration:Installing CIS v6. build 2764

• Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:Installing v6.
  • Have U made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):Installed only FW and AV.
  • Have U updated (without uninstall) from a previous version of CIS:No. Never any security SW installed on this VM.
    [li]if so, have U tried a a clean reinstall - if not please do?:N/A
    [/li]- Have U imported a config from a previous version of CIS:No.
    [li]if so, have U tried a standard config - if not please do:N/A
    [/li]- OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, & VM used:W7 x64 SP1 running under VM (VMware Player), UAC off, Administrator.
  • Other security/sandbox software a) currently installed b) installed since OS: a) None b) None
    [/ol]

Please see this original thread.

Thank you very much for your bug report in standard format. We very much appreciate the effort you have made to document this bug.

We are sorry to trouble you further but there are some items of information missing or unclear in your post:

A.3 If not, exactly what U did & what happened:

The reasons we need these items of information, though they may not seem directly relevant to the issue are explained here.

We would be very grateful if you would add these items of information so we can forward this post to the format verified board, where it is more likely to get fixed. You can find assistance using red links in the Format and here. If you need further help please ask a mod. If you do not add the information after a week we will forward this post to the non-format board. If this happens we will tell you how to rectify this if you wish to.

In the current process we will normally leave it up to you whether you want to make a report which includes all necessary information or not. We may remind you if we think a bug of particular importance.

Many thanks again

Mouse

Note to QA: process list and diagnostics cannot easily be obtained as software has been uninstalled.

mouse1, I have updated the report. Hope this is sufficient. Thanks and enjoy, John.

Thank you very much for your report in standard format, with all information supplied. The care you have taken is much appreciated by Comodo, and will increase the likelihood that this bug can be fixed.

Developers may or may or may not communicate with you in the forum or by PM/IM, depending on time availability and need. Because you have supplied complete information they may be able to replicate and fix the bug without doing so.

Many thanks again

Mouse

Can you please check and see if this is fixed with the newest version? Please let us know whether it is fixed or you are still experiencing the problem.

Thank you.

PM sent.

Chiron, I have installed 6.0 and 6.1 several times on my VM and HW and have not experienced any kind of install failure, so I cannot say for sure that the Restore point was created early enough to recover from an install failure. Enjoy, John.

OK thanks leaving open

Can you please check and see if this is fixed with the newest version (6.2.282872.2847)? Please let us know whether it is fixed or you are still experiencing the problem.

Thank you.

PM sent.

I ran a test on a VM under W7 x64 by starting the CIS installer 6.2.282872.2847. About at 50%, using Process Explorer, I killed both CIS tasks running. I then did a System Restore using the restore point created by CIS installer. When the reboot (from Restore) was complete I got the following dialogs:
http://s12.postimg.org/kajgw3esd/CIS2.jpg
It looks like the Restore Point is not good and this test fails. Enjoy, John.

Thanks for checking this.

I’ve updated the tracker.

Can you please check and see if this is fixed with the newest version (6.3.294583.2937)? Please let us know whether it is fixed or you are still experiencing the problem.

Thank you.

PM sent.

Chiron, I tried to recreate this problem without success. Killing the installation (power down my VM, kill tasks) stop the install but did not cause the error when I restarted. I could find no Restore point after I killed the install. It looks like the restore point is created much later in the install. I allowed the install to complete and then saw a restore point titled “Install: Device Driver Package Install: COMODO Network Service”. I suspect killing the install just after this point is going to be near impossible. I recommend that this problem be closed as “unable to recreate.” On a brighter note, another problem I have posted seems to be corrected (cavscan not working). I will update that report. Thanks and enjoy, John.