advice after update please :-)

Hi there

After a recent update, I am just wondering what to do with the 511 files that are awaiting my approval, as some of them I am not entirely sure about and am in the process of investigating.

I am ashamed to admit that I have forgotton how I dealt with all the files before, and so wanted to ask to be sure.

Also, my network defense level is currently at “Train with safemode” Do I need it to remain in this mode or can I change to another?

The defense+ (proactive defense) is in clean pc mode.

Am I good to go with these settings?

It threw me off kilter a bit as the latest update was slightly different from the 2 other updates I have seen since having Comodo installed. I remember not wanting the malware scanner that accompanied the update and I also didnt want the defense + (I am sure I chose not to due to Comodo going haywire with it last time and downloads and updates of certain s/w was taking forever to do due to allow windows coming up one after the other. Howevere I was told that to prevent this from happening there was something i could do, some mode to switch to I dunno…I’m tired and cant think straight LOL :wink:

So is everything set up as it should be, and please advise on the 511 waiting files for my approval and how I should go about dealing with all those.

Many kind thanks, do appreciate your time and help,
Emms

Hi Emms.

First PURGE, then LOOKUP, then SUBMIT what’s left. Purge will remove files that are no longer there, lookup is a quick online check then submit uploads what’s left.

I also regularly (about once a week) purge my Network Security Policy in Firewall > Advanced and the Computer Security Policy in Defense + > Advanced.

Network Defense is fine left in Train with safe mode.

Defense + is fine in Clean PC mode if you are quite sure the PC was clean. You have an anti virus and have done scans? (My installation of Comodo was on a recently formatted hard drive so I was pretty sure).

For all installations and uninstalls click on ‘Switch to installation mode’ on the main Summary window. Some software actually installs more than one thing (a game for example may also install Gamespy) and this requires a second ‘Switch to installation mode’ but that’s no big deal.

For windows updates look at the pop up and when it says .msi that’s when you click ‘switch to installation mode’ otherwise you keep getting pop ups.

Fisrt off Kestral you need to Purge in the "My Pending Files"Section.This will get rid off any files not on your system anymore.Next up you can do an online lookup for any files your not sure off and see what comes back.If you know the files are OK you can move them to “My own Safe Files” or just Remove them from the pending list.You could also submit the files to Comodo and check up on them at a later date.

As for your settings you could change up to “Custom Policy” in Firewall if you have used all your regular programs and there is a rule set up for them.

Matty

[ at ]JoiletJake and Riggers,
Thanks very much for your speedy response in answer to my earlier concerns :slight_smile:
I have indeed done a purge of all un needed files (that was handy to know, I was not aware of this feature)

Next up you can do an online lookup for any files your not sure off and see what comes back.

Okay, I did look up a few prior to composing my post here, however, anything Comodo doesnt recognize simply tells me so, and doesnt elaborate any further than that, so as to what to do with the un-known files from there I just don’t know :slight_smile:

...then submit uploads what's left.

Okay, I also did submit a couple files…namely the dc1.exe which was sat in C:\RECYCLER blah blah blah…but I am pretty sure that was remnants from tools the good people at majorgeeks used when I clicked on a link from the messenger virus (but was lucky and came out clean) so I am in the process now of asking them to confirm this for me. Other than that I think I’m okay, as to performing a full system scan before updating the firewall version, I did not do this, and will make sure I do this in future. :wink: I’m not a downloader anyway, I’m not a link clicker, and I certainly dont dabble in the wonders or horrors of p2p s/w. But ya can never be sure and so I will do this in future, specially as I was fooled into clicking on the link from the messenger virus :stuck_out_tongue: Thank Goodness AVG grabbed it by the balls and shoved it in quarantine.

I also regularly (about once a week) purge my Network Security Policy in Firewall > Advanced and the Computer Security Policy in Defense + > Advanced.

Is this something you recommend that I do also? Forgive me if I’m confused but does the network thing affect me if im a stand alone pc? I think it still concerns me and I guess you’ll say yes.

For all installations and uninstalls click on 'Switch to installation mode' on the main Summary window....

Forgive me again, could be coz its past midnight and I’m about to turn into cinders…LOL but when you say the above, do you mean each time I install a new piece of software I am first to go into the FW sett’s and click on ‘Switch to installation mode’? If you could clarify thats the jist of it, that’d be great :slight_smile:

For windows updates look at the pop up and when it says .msi that's when you click 'switch to installation mode' otherwise you keep getting pop ups.

Totally lost me now I’m afraid LOL Am I meant to do something from within Comodo’s settings aftr a windows update? I have not seen any pop ups so far or anything .msi related in the firewall.
So if you could elaborate a bit more with this I would be so greateful, i like to fully understand things, bit slow, but I do like to see what ya mean…

Windows updates that I have done have been fine, however smoething that does bug me and I have been meaning to ask someone about it at some point, so no time like the now as they say…each time I boot up my pc in the morning, I always see the little yellow shield of the windows update in my task tray on the right hand side, it flashes briefly and before it disappears I try to click on it, left or right…and it isnt clickable at all. Also, a win update has already been done, so why I wonder…does its icon sprout up each morning for a few seconds? This has only happened since I installed Comodo. (Hey, Im not worried about it, just curious :slight_smile: and do wonder if its indeed related, and if anyone else has had this little oddity occur at all)

As for your settings you could change up to "Custom Policy" in Firewall if you have used all your regular programs and there is a rule set up for them.

Thank you both very much for your replies and your kind help, I will call in again tomorrow to check for your replies. Goodnight, peace out for a bit, Emms 8)