Adobe Reader 9.0 has been Released!

Adobe Reader 9.0 is finally here :slight_smile:

Adobe® Reader® 9 software adds much new functionality, especially relating to collaboration, PDF file creation, security, and an enhanced user experience. Improved launch speeds

Looking for faster launch speeds? Adobe has enhanced general performance and, in particular, has reduced launch times with Adobe Reader 9. Try it: You’ll notice the difference.
PDF Portfolios

Packages, introduced in Adobe Reader 8, have been greatly enhanced and renamed. Portfolios provide easy navigation when you work with multiple PDF documents and other document types. They also enable you to work with a collection of materials such as drawings, e-mail messages, spreadsheets, and videos as a single file, which makes distribution, storage, retrieval, and collaboration easy for end users.
Native Adobe Flash® support

Adobe Reader 9 can natively display rich media content, which you’ll notice immediately with Portfolios. Interested in viewing SWF and FLV files? Adobe Reader 9 is the answer.
Acrobat.com (beta)

Included with Adobe Reader 9 is Acrobat.com (beta), an exciting new set of online services from Adobe. With Acrobat.com, you can create PDF files online; create and coauthor documents with others; host live web meetings; upload and share PDF files and other types of documents and control who has access to them; and even embed a rich, interactive preview of your document in a web page. All of these services and more are provided online, so you can access them from anywhere. And you’ll find easy access points from within Reader 9. As an added convenience, Acrobat.com leverages Adobe AIR", so you can interact with Acrobat.com from your desktop. Acrobat.com on Adobe AIR is a small application that is included with your download of Adobe Reader 9. Available in select languages. Learn more
Improved CAD and geospatial functionality

CAD and geospatial functionality have been greatly enhanced in Adobe Reader 9. For instance, CAD designs or geospatial maps that have been converted to PDF offer Adobe Reader users access to CAD features, such as dimensions, or map features, such as longitude and latitude, for powerful collaboration and interaction.
PDF Standards Pane

When a PDF/A or PDF/X standard compliant file is opened, a Standards Pane appears and provides important file details.
Security enhancements

Adobe Reader 9 provides new digital signature functionality for an improved user experience. The new version also adds support for 256-bit AES encryption.
Accessibility enhancements

Adobe Reader 9 significantly improves the viewing of XFA forms for accessibility, while providing greater screen reader support.
Adobe Reader 9 MUI

Adobe Reader 9 MUI is Adobe’s Multilingual User Interface version. This product is capable of installing any combination of supported languages. So, for example, you can install French, German, and Spanish simultaneously and then have the capability to switch among those languages within Adobe Reader. The user interface changes to the appropriate language on the fly.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/

Josh

Try it still slow as hell. Foxit Reader has it all over Adobe. Twice as small of any install (6MB) and ten times as fast.

Not twice - the installer is 6 times smaller ;D

True. Sorry Comm…lol. Foxit rules.

And on my system cmf blocks 9.0 installing

Your suppose to switch to install mode before installing anything. When D+ gives you an alert select installer/updater. Or just simply open up Comodo and click “switch to install mode” on the bottom. Works perfect.

Comodo memory firewall blocks it not comodo firewall pro

I wondered if i had to install it.
I recently discovered another pdf viewer called PDF-Xchange Viewer.
Its size is bigger than foxit but it has many nice functions

[ at ] lyn: I had similiar issues with CMF. During installation some spawned GUI-less processes hanged and had an high cpu usage.
Comodo Safesurf offers a similiar protection and I had no such issue anymore (I did not test adobe installer though).

Comodo BO tester gives the same results with Comodo Safesurf.

You may wish to enable CMF only for specific applications (browsers, svchost.exe services.exe and other ms running processes) or to uninstall it and use Comodo Safesurf.

Foxit reader still is better and lighter IMO.

Josh

Still, I recommend Adobe Reader over all other PDF readers.

Two reasons:

1. Very clean GUI, easy to customize and no reminders of “functions only available in Pro version”.

2. Renders PDF files better than the others. I’ve tried about 10 PDF readers, including Foxit, and none of them renders PDFs as smooth and nice as Adobe. Besides, Adobe renders transparent objects (e.g. made in OpenOffice.org Writer), which Foxit doesn’t.

It’s still very bloated. Indeed it is. The solution is: Adobe Reader Lite, a version where the author (not Adobe) have removed several components. The installation is much smaller. If you try it you will notice that it starts much faster. Maybe not as fast as Foxit, but still fast, and you’ll enter the elegant Adobe GUI and you’ll see your PDFs correctly rendered.

LA

I can agree there are some features in Adobe that are not in Fox it.

Anyway… Everyone has their own opinions.

Cheers,
Josh