Adding Trusted Folders Causes Error For Empty Sub-folders [I20]

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)
[ol]- Summary - Give a clear summary in the topic subject, NOT here.

• Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
    ?
  • If U can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what U did & what happened:
    1:Open the Advanced Settings and go to the File Rating section.
    2:Click on the part for Unrecognized Files.
    3:Click on the arrow at the bottom of the screen, click on Add, and select Folders.
    4:Note that if you select a folder with empty folders inside it CIS will incorrectly say that empty files cannot be added. However, there are no empty files, but there are empty folders, which should be included as an option to include sub-folders.
  • If not obvious, what U expected to happen:
    ?
  • If a software compatibility problem have U tried the conflict FAQ?:
    ?
  • Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:
    ?
  • Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc:
    ?
    [/ol]

B. YOUR SETUP
[ol]- Exact CIS version & configuration:
?

• Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:
    ?
  • Have U made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
    ?
  • Have U updated (without uninstall) from CIS 5 or CIS6?:
    ?
    [li]if so, have U tried a a clean reinstall - if not please do?:
    ?
    [/li]- Have U imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
    ?
    [li]if so, have U tried a standard config - if not please do:
    ?
    [/li]- OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:
    ?
  • Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS, including initial trial security software included with system:
    a=? b=?
    [/ol]

Okay, let me see if I am understanding this correctly. Let me know if the following steps are correct.

1:Open the Advanced Settings and go to the File Rating section.
2:Click on the part for Trusted Files.
3:Click on the arrow at the bottom of the screen, click on Add, and select Folders.
4:Note that if you select a folder with empty folders inside it CIS will incorrectly say that empty files cannot be added. However, there are no empty files, but there are empty folders, which should be included as an option to include sub-folders.

Is this correct?

Thanks.

That is the correct destination, as for the path to get there, I find no Advanced Settings. I have to click on the “Unrecognized files #” from the main interface>Trusted files.
… but yes. Did you attempt to add a folder, any folder and get the same results?

Thank you for the clarification. I have now put the required format in your first post, and inserted the correct steps for reproduction. Going through the Advanced Settings is just a more formal way of doing it the way you did. The result would be the same.

Please edit the first post and replace the question marks with your responses so I can make sure that there is enough information. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Actually, upon further inspection I am not able to reproduce this by adding folders to the Trusted Files List. Can you please experiment and see if you can find a way to trigger this with just a few folders and files? That will help me to see if I can replicate this, and provide steps for reproduction which will help the devs to locate this issue. It appears it is different than what I first thought.

Thanks.

Does this replicate for you if you do it through the Trusted Files List, as directed in the current steps for reproduction? While there use Add then Folders.

If it does not, then please explain exactly what steps you are taking inside the Unrecognized Files list to replicate this behavior.

Thanks.

PM sent.

I will now move this to the Incomplete Issue Reports board.

Topics in this board are not looked at by the devs. The reason is that putting bug reports in the required format, with the required files, ensures that the devs have enough information to understand and identify the bug.

To get your report forwarded to the devs please answer my questions so we can replicate this issue. We can then continue to fill out the required information.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

Can you please check and see if this is fixed with the newest version (8.0.0.4337)? Please respond to this topic letting us know whether it is fixed or if you are still experiencing the problem.

Also, note that all bug reports in the Non-Format section of the forum, which is where this report currently is, are mainly not looked at by the devs. Thus, if the bug you were experiencing is still not fixed please edit your first post so that it is in the correct format (found here, with all required attachments), so I can forward this to the devs and get this problem fixed.

Thank you.