Adding an Ethernet Router: 'New LAN detected' query

Hi,

I’ve just connected to the internet via an ethernet router in place of a usb modem. During the changeover Comodo popped up with a message saying “New LAN detected” along with options that I’m not knowledgable enough to understand:

“I would like to be fully accessible to other PCs on the network”

I’m using a single home computer and didn’t know what to do so I closed the window and carried on (I thought maybe every other user on the internet would have access to my files).

Could anyone advise me, please?

John Latter / Jorolat

Images of Dover | Videos of Dover | Dover Blog (Social Psychology)

Hi Jorolat and welcome to the forums.

When you connect your PC to the internet via a router, you have actually created a local area network (LAN) consisting of your PC and the router. This is the new network that CIS detected. When you get this alert in future, you should select ALLOW and REMEMBER.

In laymans terms, a router is a computer in itself with two network cards, one inwards facing (this is the connection to your PC) and one outwards facing (this is the connection to the internet). When your PC requests a web page, your request is forwarded to the router. The router records your requests, changes the IP address from the strictly internal address of your PC to the public IP address assigned to the outward facing network card and sends the request out to the internet.

When the response is received on the outward facing network card, it is transferred to the internal network card and the IP address is changed back to the internal IP address of your PC. The response is then forwarded back to your PC. There is, naturally, a lot more to it than this.

In a nutshell, the router handles communications to and from your PC with its inwards facing network card. It also handles communications between itself and the internet (on your behalf). It sort of acts as an intermediary or filter between you and the internet.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

It certainly does help, Ewen, I can now picture what’s going on - thank you very much, indeed!

Er, while I’m here, can I ask another question?

Are there any changes I ought to make to my Comodo Firewall setiings?

As I said, I don’t know much about these things but I have an ancient vague memory that using a router means a software firewall isn’t needed at all.

More recently, while looking up how to unlock my router, I saw that using a software firewall and a router together was a good idea.

I didn’t pay much attention because at the time I didn’t have much confidence in getting the charity shop-bought router to work.

Now that it does, of course, I’m all ears :slight_smile:

John Latter / Jorolat

Images of Dover | Videos of Dover | Dover Blog (Social Psychology)

That really depends on what you need to do and how you use your PC and the internet.

As I said, I don't know much about these things but I have an ancient vague memory that using a router means a software firewall isn't needed at all.

More recently, while looking up how to unlock my router, I saw that using a software firewall and a router together was a good idea.

A hardware router should contain a firewall component that will prevent inbound unsolicited connections (someone “out there” trying to get to your system.

A software firewall (like CIS) prevents unsolicited inbound connections like a hardware firewall, but it can also prevent unauthorised outbound connections (like malware).

A combination of both is the best option.

Cheers,

Well, I won’t be using the internet any different than I did before so it sounds as if I should leave things as they are (not that I’m 100% sure CIS is configured properly, anyway!)

A hardware router should contain a firewall component that will prevent inbound unsolicited connections (someone "out there" trying to get to your system.

A software firewall (like CIS) prevents unsolicited inbound connections like a hardware firewall, but it can also prevent unauthorised outbound connections (like malware).

A combination of both is the best option.

Cheers,

I’ve just checked some online documentation for my router (“BT Voyager 220V”) and it also recommends using a software firewall in addition to the hardware one, so that’s what I’ll do.

Thanks for your help, Ewen :slight_smile:

John Latter / Jorolat