Add Option To Show An Alert When Virus DB Updated Or Failed To Update [M1295]

1. What actually happened or you saw:
CIS does not show any alert after the virus database has been successfully updated, or when the virus update process failed to update.

2. What you wanted to happen or see:
CIS should have an option in the GUI to show an alert when virus database is updated successfully or if it encountered an error and failed to update.

3. Why you think it is desirable:
This is important information which many users may want to see.

4. Any other information:
This option could also ask the user when virus database is available so user has a control if he want to update or postpone…

I believe CIS does show an alert when an update is required.

However, I can certainly understand why an alert when the update fails, or to an extent when it succeeds, may be a useful contribution. Would you agree with me that an alert when an update is required is already implemented in the way you would like, or am I slightly misunderstanding.

Thanks.

Hi,

How about expanding on this idea?
As for example, per-alert settings (with timeouts). Avast has a nice system - check attachment.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I believe CIS does show an alert when an update is required.

Software update - yes, e.g. to higher version.
Virus database update - no.

Does the virus database update ever require a restart?

No, but what I think OP means is to give an alert every time when update is successful or not (information pop-up).
In version 5.xx there was a balloon message option which is now gone.

Okay, I have edited the first post. karthik1eee, I believe what you wrote in the Any Other Information Section may be better a new Wish Request just for that. Please do feel free to create a new Wish Request for it.

Other than that does everything in the first post, including the title, seem correct?

Thanks.

PM reminder sent.

I have also added a poll. karthik1eee, please let me know if the poll seems correct as well.

Thank you.

I would rather not forward a Wish Request to the Waiting Area unless I am sure that it correctly represents what karthik1eee wanted. Thus, I will move this Wish Request to the Rejected section.

However, karthik1eee, as soon as you reply and let me know that everything is correct I can move this to the Waiting Area. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Thank you for submitting this Wish Request. I have now moved this to the WAITING AREA.

Please be sure to vote for your own wish, and for any other wishes you also support. It is also worthwhile to vote against wishes you think would be a waste of resources, as implementing those may slow down the wishes you would really like to see added.

Thanks again.

At a BARE minumum, change the GUI so it reports the last successful update time.

Currently, the last update time shown is the last attempted update, regardless of whether it was successful or not.

Ewen :slight_smile:

Yep indeed this should be changed :-TU

I voted Maybe as I would also prefer to have a 3rd option to turn off the popup’s altogether after a while users might interpret the popup’s as CIS being too chatty.

This popup would only be activated if the user manually selected it. Therefore, if users do not want it they do not have to select it.

I would like to thank everyone who has voted on this particular enhancement. As this wish has accumulated the necessary 15 points I have added this to the tracker for consideration by the devs. However, do note that even though this wish will be considered by the devs, it does not necessarily mean that it will be implemented. I will update this topic when I have any additional information.

Thank you.

Hi Ewen

That’s a bug I think - could you report it in the tracker please?

Best wishes

Mouse

It’s not a bug. I’ve been told that it is the expected behaviour.

Regardless, it has the potential to misinform the end user and should be corrected.

Ewen :slight_smile:

In order to enable that please report as a bug. From a user perspective it definitely is :). Devs. may say it’s a wish later, if so we’ll compromise on debatable.