acting as server and network control rules

I don’t understand when I should let a program act as server and when I should only let it access the internet. Also are the settings that are loaded when you install the program the defaults? Do I need to set up more network rules?

Hi,

When you get a pop-up like app X as acting as a server and you know that
app is safe one, you should allow it.

Acting as a server means waiting for other to connect to it, so if you
think a certain application should be doing that, you should grant
permission to it. There can be unknown application (some trojan) that
may be ready to accept connection from outside, so application in
question should be the basis to decide if it should be allowed or not.

But note that if you dont create the necessary network control rule, act as a server will not have an effect at all.

Thx
Adrian

I don’t understand the setting up of network control rules. Can I find a simple explanation of how to set them up? This firewall may be great but it sure does not seem to be user friendly.

Hi,

From the following link please choose the area for which you would like to setup a rule, eg., emule, edonkey, online gaming etc…

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,894.0.html

Thx
Adrian

for me, with Internet Explorer for example, it makes a big difference, e.g. HAS an effect.

If I dont let it “act as server” it doesn’t work !!! Same for Outlook Express.

How can this be, that it has NO effect, if I have no extra rule in network monitor ?

(sure, I have “auto approve save apps” OFF.)

???

Can one help ?

poser

THX

I expect more explanation about the “act as server”, I have the same question with poser. Internet explorer should not be act as server but if not, it would not be able to connect to the internet!

Does really Internet explorer listen on some port? OR That’s a comodo related special design?

When you get an application or client as some will call it, acting as server, it is usually to get information\updates, changes etc…and connects for that reason. To try to keep it simple which I am not usually good at, make sure you run good spyware often, anti - virus and whatever security programs you have. If you don’t in fact have a virus or spyware, it’s typically safe to allow these. Like when you see Msimn trying to act as server, (outlook express exec) it needs internet access to operate. Some don’t and those I don’t allow if not needed. While we like to rely on programs to help us with our security, and I say this whole heartedly not insultingly, learning about security on your own, along with a good firewall, etc… is the best step. No firewall or anti-virus\anti-spyware can do it all.
I allow my msimn , vcom, comodo product, or things I know I installed. Svchost is needed by many things and unless you have a trojan, etc…it is safe to let this pass. For the most part, know what you have on your system and if you don’t , do a search on Google and look for known processes, etc…you will find a list of items. Comodo is actually more thorough than ZA when it explains what is what , don’t know about ZA full version though, and tells a lot more than most firewalls I have used. I know by heart now what to let and not, it’s a learning experience for sure.

Hope this helps some,

Paul

Hmm, as I heard of egemen now, the “act as server” pops of IE and Outlook Express are BUGS in the 2.2.0.11 !!!

I run beta now, and as I expected: No one of that apps need to (or want to) act as server.

svchost.exe are banned in my system since it does not affect my web browser. It seems svchost provide many services but I don’t want them to access internet.

Thanks the information, I will keep an eye on it.

I run the beta and still get them. hmmmm. I do know that acting as server isn’t actually a bug but some applications do this for network supported services of the application itself, suppose MSN Messenger is trying to act as server, if denied, you may lose some functionality. You may find yourself denying services but simply have to watch. While Svchost can be blocked as well, there may also be hidden functions some don’ t know of and may no longer get security updates for some applications etc…so caution is advised there. Interresting that beta did this for you though.

Cheers, :wink:

Paul