Access problems on LAN

Hi - I’m a newb and not sure if this is the right forum. Please move me if not.

I have a LAN with a desktop PC running Windows 7 and a netbook running Windows XP.
I cannot get access to the Win 7 disk drives from the XP machine.
I can ping the Win 7 and the Win 7 drives all appear in My Network Places on the WP machine but if I click on one to connect and read it I get
“\Desktop\desk d is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the Administrator to find out if you have access permissions”

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Mark,

Are you using CIS? or What Firewall Program are you using?

Hi Jacob
Sorry, don’t know what CIS is - so probably not using it.
Using Comodo Firewall.

Hello Mark,

CIS = Comodo Internet Security

Information You’ll Need
IP Address’s of The XP Machine and IP Address of the Windows 7 Machine
For An Example We’ll say the XP Machine IP Address is 192, and For An Example We’ll say the Windows 7 machine is 101
(Actual IP Address is Longer)

On the XP Machine Open Comodo Firewall; Firewall > Network Security Policy > Network Zone (tab) > Select the Zone with the XP Machine’s IP Address > Add > New Address > IPv4 Single Address > Enter the IP of Windows 7 Machine > Apply > Apply

Stealth Ports Wizard > Define a New Trusted Network (Top Option) > Select the Network Zone that had your IP Address in It > Ok/Apply > Ok

Do Vice Versa on Your Windows Machine

Did this help?

Hi Jacob
Sorry for posting in wrong place: I didn’t know whether it was a CIS problem

I did what you said and then rebooted both machines.

The problem remains

Can you post a screen shots of you firewall application rules and global rules, please. Also, would you post details of any entries in the firewall log.

With regard to the Windows 7 shares, how have you configured the security settings on the share(s)?

Hi
I can’t see any tabs or headings that read Application rules or Global rules in CIS.

Turn on network discovery
Turn on file and printer sharing
Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders
Media streaming is on
Use 128 bit encryption to help protect file sharing connections
Turn off password protected sharing
Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections

Is that what you meant?

OK, Sorry Radaghast, I have now found them.
What is the best way for me to let you see the lists, please?

Screenshot-posting for beginners should help.

Essentially, capture the image with screen capture utility, (such as FastStone Capture ) save the image as a jpg, then use the Additional Options at the bottom of the reply screen to attach the images to the post.

Here are some shots.

Sorry - bedtime for me now.
Will look for your response in the morning.
Thanks for your help.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks for the images, however, I’m quite confused by your rules. The first pair of rules under Global allow communication between nodes on Local Area Network #1 Can you tell me the ip addresses you’ve used to define that network.

A little lower you have two rules for 192.169.1.120/255.255.255.255 Unfortunately, they don’t make any sense. 192.169 is not a private address, did you mean 192.168? Also, 255.255.255.255 is a broadcast address.

The four rules below that are also quite strange, especially if Local Area Network #1 has the same IP block?

To allow sharing between nodes on your network you will need to allow all IP traffic in and out on each node, to do that, the System process has to have a pair of rules that allows IP out to the local area network and allow all IP traffic in from the local area network. These two rules also need to be the first two rules in Global.

Rereading you posts I notice you’re using a Windows 7 Homegroup, which I’m sure you know is incompatible with Windows XP, that aside, Windows 7 Homegroups need additional rules to function correctly. Basically, you’ll have to create the two rules I mentioned above for svchost.exe.

With regard to XP and Homegroups, for XP to connect, you will have to ensure the Workgroup name is the same on XP and Windows 7, you will also need to have a user account on Windows 7 with the same name as the one you use on XP.

Let me know about the rules.

Thanks for your reply.

Rereading you posts I notice you're using a Windows 7 Homegroup, which I'm sure you know is incompatible with Windows XP, that aside, Windows 7 Homegroups need additional rules to function correctly. Basically, you'll have to create the two rules I mentioned above for svchost.exe.
As I said in my first post I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff, so, No I did not know about this incompatability. Maybe that is the root of my problem - which is why I posted where I did initially.

When I exit CIS on both machines and try to access the same drives (without re-booting because that would start it up again), I get exactly the same message.

It I can get some help getting access WITHOUT CIS running, after that we can start looking at what I need to do in CIS to maintain that access.

Is that the way forward?

It I can get some help getting access WITHOUT CIS running, after that we can start looking at what I need to do in CIS to maintain that access.

Is that the way forward?

Sounds good. Maybe you’ll find this guide helpful Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

Once this is working we can reinvestigate the settings for the firewall.