About using older CIS version

Hi;

I just resurrected an old pc with XP SP3. I plan to use it as pc as backup. It is an AMD Athlon XP 2000 machine 2gb ram, 256mb agp. The security apps are Malwarebytes free, HitmanPro free, Avira Premium or AvastFree, Sandboxie or GesWall free. I formerly have Comodo ver 3 on it but since making it rot for about a year did not have a copy of the version. I tried to use Comodo ver4 on it but the system dragged literally.

I hear in the avast forums that they still use ver3 with avastFree and want to try that combination with my old pc. A couple of questions if I may:

a) If I use an older version(say, CIS ver 3 with D+ without the antivirus…with the said combination mentioned), how can I update to latest firewall/D+ rules/updates? I’m sure auto-update will update “all”. How can I just stay with ver3 and at the same time be updated?

Or, is it impossible unless I upgrade to the latest version?

b) Are there any issues that I should know of in connection with the mentioned security apps?

c) Are there some here who are using older version ike the one’s in the avastForums? Can you share me some tips on maintaining it?

d) Is it bad to use an older version? I wanna use it because I knew it worked properly when I was using it. The newer version made it crawl…as much as possible want to move/ease back to CIS because I miss using it. This is actually my first firewall. From it I evolve to other apps.

The pc is loaded with Autocad2008/Statistical Softwares/Adobe CS2 along with Nero7, VLC Media Player, MSOffice 2007, Cyberlink PowerDVD as staple software that I/we use.

Thank you and hope for your assistance.

Hey and Welcome!

CIS v3 is not support anymore (no av update or bug fix). Asyn uses CF v3 so ask him. It’s wise to run the newest version; I have read somewhere that CIS 5 is 200% to 300% more secure, at least more secure than CIS v3 and than CIS v4

I am sorry I haven’t answered all questions.

Regards,
Valentin

IIRC, there have been some changes to the firewall since version 3, but I can’t remember what those might have been.

At least one change has been made: they removed TCP/UDP flood protection according to recent “investigation” 8)

Here it’s XP SP3, too. And machine is AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1 gb ram, 64 mb nvidia. It’s flying with latest version of Comodo firewall (firewall, defense plus, NO sandbox, NO antivirus)… Maybe this is cause of your problems:

Have one Av with realtime protection, one HIPS security software and one firewall. Here is a combo Avast, Spyterminator (this spyware protection has HIPS-technology) and Vipers personal firewall (or any firewall that has no HIPS-technology) or take Avast with comodo firewall or just CIS

Those are just examples.

Regards,
Valentin

When you have a v3 version with the av then you cannot update the av. Updates for the firewall/D+ are part of program updates. Then you can considering getting v3.14, from [url=http://filehippo.com/download_comodo/6975/]filehippo.nl[/ and install it without av.

Or, is it impossible unless I upgrade to the latest version?Download Comodo Internet Security 3.14.130099 for Windows - Filehippo.com

b) Are there any issues that I should know of in connection with the mentioned security apps?
Currently I know only of AVG having compatibility issues. Using Hitman Pro Free? That installs Spyware Doctor and there will be process for Spyware Doctor running. That only adds to bloat.
c) Are there some here who are using older version ike the one's in the avastForums? Can you share me some tips on maintaining it?
No opinion.
d) Is it bad to use an older version? I wanna use it because I knew it worked properly when I was using it. The newer version made it crawl..as much as possible want to move/ease back to CIS because I miss using it. This is actually my first firewall. From it I evolve to other apps.
There is nothing bad with it. Some long term users prefer it for being more configurable. The latest CIS suite with AV runs pretty light and with the sandbox it gives kick ■■■ protection straight from the box.
The pc is loaded with Autocad2008/Statistical Softwares/Adobe CS2 along with Nero7, VLC Media Player, MSOffice 2007, Cyberlink PowerDVD as staple software that I/we use.

Thank you and hope for your assistance.

Hello guys;

Thanks very much for the replies.

I did install CIS ver4 without the AV and the Sandbox as I have SBIE paid. It was still crawling. Only Avira Premium with WebGuard disabled, MalwarebytesPro(realtime) and the rest I relegated as on-demand scanners. (HitmanPro/SASPy-Pro)…

The system is soo slow…that’s why I asked if I can downgrade. Don’t want to use OA Premium as I am fed up with their support especially the forum there…tsk…(criticized my apps saying it’s my other apps that’s causing the problems with OA not functioning…)

I see that there is a new version…does it perform well…I mean not a “resource hogger”…?

Thanks for the help here!

Regards!

well this is unrelated but when can I attach an avatar? Sorry this is off-topic.

CIS has never been a resource hogger. V5 is lighter than v4.

Sometimes having multiple security programs run at the same time may bog down your system.

My advice would be install v5 and see how things go. Then see what happens when you disable the Malwarebytes real time protection.

!ot!
Press the Red Profile button on the top of the forums, then in the left menu select
Forum Profile Information

There you can chose or upload your Avatar.

with all your security stuff your pc is so safe now, too safe to be used :smiley:

you just need to protect one aspect once!
antivirus (avira free edition is good), sandboxIE, comodo firewall and defense+, spybot search and destroy (to run it sometimes, no need for the tea timer while using comodo).

you think its better to run old versions to be able to run un-needed security stuff still… something doesnt fit, you see?

I will retain only a few of them. But will not definitely use SpyBot. Borked my old machine ( using avastFree, CIS ver3, SASPy free ), the reason I took Malwarebytes Pro.

HitmanPro is just an on-demand scanner and I believe it will not hurt having it.

Will install CIS ver5 and will get back here.

Oh by the way, I have a different post with regards to ver5 (on a different system). Can you guys take a lok at it please…

Thanks all!