A yes or no p2p query

I’ll be to the point:

Is there a good reason NOT to just allow, say Utorrent, as a trusted program rather than create a set of rules (those posted, for whatever reason do not work for me)?

Something you might want to consider:
If you make Utorrent a trusted program, you are allowing it to do virtually whatever it wants.

Double click the firewall icon.
Click DEFENSE+.
Click Advanced.
Click Predefined Security Policies.
Select Trusted Application.
Click Edit…
Click Access Rights.
Listed are what the program can do.

Regards,
Mike

Thanks your your time and consideration Mike,
but since this response is neither “yes or no” but rather the sort of vague generality (however - considerate and well intended) I was afraid of, I suppose I should rephrase. Understanding that I may alter the conditions of said ‘allowed program’ doesn’t get to the gist of my question; should I? Meaning, basically, I’m sure I could safely allow it if I created a dozen requisites - just as I could hand out 12 keys to my house, as long as I installed 13 locks - but I don’t want the same problem: nothing getting in/out without constant supervised permission. I already know there will be no simple fix for this (they do not seem to exist in ver.3) but would still like a fundamental answer to my question without “might’s” or “maybe’s”:

Y/N?

(Want to be an instant millionaire? Write the first CFP 3 for Dummies book.)

Heya C,

NO, you may do so,

BUT (LOL I know, I know),

First the firewall rules and the Defense+ rules are completely different. I wouldn’t worry about the Defense+ rules unless your D+ is in paranoid mode (I don’t think so). About the firewall rules, the app ones can be created by answering popups or, yes, you could just define µTorrent as trusted.

The problem is, that even defining as trusted may not do the full trick, depending on your global rules. P2P clients need to receive incoming connections, so what you need to do (it works for me) is creating the following rule in “firewall > advanced > network security policy > global rules”:

allow, TCP/UDP, in, from ip any, port any, to ip any, port [XXXXX]

Where [XXXXX] is your Torrent port. Remember to place this rule above other blocking rules that would affect the same traffic.

It’s being done ;D

Obliged Japo,
And I want to apologize to mike for my somewhat snippy retort, it is possible - if not likely - that I’ve been spoiled by the general ease-of-use offered by most freeware, and thus become whiny :-[…
Between J’s descriptions and Mike’s directions I believe I’ve got a rough understanding of the situation, the thing is…

Utorrent works fine when it is merely “defined as trusted” however I was concerned with the security ramifications…ie; is there a perticular “block” rule that should accompany that global rule you mentioned?

I would imagine between your tips and armed with a current blocklist I might just be ok after all… (relatively speaking, of course)

It’s as tight as can be, any necessary blocking rule would already exist and and if placed below would still block all traffic not affected by the allowing rules above, that is not wanted.

I thought I would lose my mind trying to get Utorrent flowing again. The rules posted here, while thorough and thoughtful, were not lifting her skirt.

After some extensive tweaking, cursing and hair pulling I found these worked for me exceptionally well (dl/170-190kbps on a 100mbps dsl) :o:

I go to…

Firewall → Advanced → Network Security Policy find Utor and select Add…
(for the hell of it, let’s say my port is 12345)

Action = Allow
Protocol = TCP or UDP
Direction = In
Description = Rule for incoming TCP and UDP connections
Source Address = Any
Destination Address = Any
Source port = A port range = (start port = 1025 / end port = 65535)
Destination port = 12345

Action = Allow
Protocol = TCP or UDP
Direction = Out
Description = Rule for outgoing TCP and UDP
Source Address = Any
Source port = 12345
Destination port = A port range = (start port = 1025 / end port = 65535)

(I kept this one from the tutorial)
Action = Block (enable Log as a firewall event if this rule is fired)
Protocol = IP
Direction = In/OUT
Description = Block and Log All Unmatching Requests
Source Address = Any
IP Details = Any

Now I click Apply! I learned this the hard way, constantly wondering why my config’s never took ???. Then I open another piece of machinery that’s a sort of ‘guardian of peers’, and then log in to my isp to forward my port, then I grab my torrent, close my browser that’s that.
These might be totally screwy – I don’t know – all I know is that it works for me.