A question about Defense+

Hi,

when I am installing something and Defense+ alerts me I choose Treat application as Install/updater and i put a check mark in the Remember box, I would like to know if I shouldn’t put a check mark in the remember box when doing an install or update.

thanks

I would think it’s OK for stuff you download often from a place you trust.

Thanks for the input Hikertrash :slight_smile:

thats what I think too, but its a bit of a mystery seeing there isn’t any well dcoumentation of any of this yet for us :-\

1st Reason) why I wondered is because once an update or new install of some software is complete, the install/setup file is redundant and if its an update it removes itself sometimes after it performs an update “OR” if its a setup file one deletes it afterwards once its installed the new software. but if we chose Remember then does it permanently allow that file.?

2nd Reason)something thats a mystery to me, but i wondered if i choose not to remember will an update or installtion proceed without any popups like it does with remember checked, or would one get popup alerts during the installtion/update of some software for example during a windows update.

thats my reasons for asking and wanting to know

I’ve had the same thoughts, but I didn’t feel the need to uncheck the “Remember” box just because I might never run the installer again. I would assume that not checking it would let it work normally but require you to answer another “Allow” query if you ran it again. But I don’t really know because I never tried it.

Every different file will be discriminated by CFP, it’s not only the name what it uses to identify files. You can purge your computer security policy for files that no longer exist.

AnotherOne

I would assume that not checking it would let it work normally but require you to answer another “Allow” query if you ran it again. But I don’t really know because I never tried it.

that would be ideal if not checking it the install would run without any popups during the installation, but would require me to answer another “Allow” query if i ran the same installation or update again.

I’ve not tried that myself either so I don’t know either :-\ I might give it a go and see when i have to do another install or update.

Japo

You can purge your computer security policy for files that no longer exist.

I don’t know how to do that yet or where to look, by chance do you mean in Defense+ “My own safe files”?

Thanks Japo, I found where that is, I’ll have a look through it sometime, i haven’t read the help section part of that int he help file yet so will read that first

The page is Defense+>Advanced>Computer Security Policy. The option to Purge is available from the button on the right side.

AnotherOne

The page is Defense+>Advanced>Computer Security Policy. The option to Purge is available from the button on the right side.

Thanks, I just beat you to it and found it though hehe.
thanks though for letting me know about purging it, hadn’t gone through it yet, but now i won’t have to wonder whether to choose remove or purge ;D

[s]just one quick question, clicking purge in "Computer Security Policy" will just remove policies for files that no longer exist on the computer like how purge works for pending files?[/s]

I shouldn’t ask stupid questions :-[ lol i just read that part just now in the help file. sorry my apologies

Thanks for that. I had I don’t know how many dozen Gimp files on an USB drive that were showing up. Purge cleared them all.

Top call guys nice 1 :wink:

I am glad I had asked the question ;D

it solved more than one thing, just so everyone knows too, you have to goto Firewall/Advanced/Network Security Policy and also Defense+/Advanced/Computer Secuirty Policy and do purge in both of them to remove any invalid/redundant entries for files with privliedges that no longer are on your computer.

it removes entries for installtion files and software files that no longer is there.

so thanks to both Japo and AnotherOne

(V)

Here’s an instance where you may want to keep installer remember check. I don’t know what it is with flash player but I’m constantly being asked to install the newest version even though it may already be installed. I’ve tried forever to correct this problem and heard it’s best to uninstall previous versions.

I downloaded the uninstaller and it sits on my desktop. When I first used it, I set it to remember. When I use it now I just get a learning pop up and not the larger select option pop up.

Installing flash was the same. I’m not sure but if I install a newer version of flash (I only have the one right now) I don’t think I’ll have to answer any pop ups, but will see the learning ones.