A must have new freeware [Returnil]

I do not know if you have ever heard about it. Retrunil is a program similar to deepfreeze, eaz-fix standard, and other reboot and restore applications.
It is faster than deepfreeze and it’s free for personal use.

I did a lot of testing and it really function as advertized

Features ... The Returnil Virtual System: > Keeps your System Partition safe when browsing the Internet > Viruses, Trojans, Worms, Adware, Spyware, and unwanted content disappear with a simple reboot > Enforces settings and protects your internet privacy > Helps reduce overall disk wear by using memory rather than HDD cloning technology > Saves you time, money, and lost hair by maintaining or improving peak computer performance > Reduces or eliminates the need for routine disk de-fragmentation of your system partition > Your spam filter is strong, but not infallible – Returnil will eliminate the consequences of opening infected e-mail and/or attachments > Leaves absolutely no traces of computer activities > Eliminates all activities even if your computer is powered-off or crashes > Eliminates the danger of evaluating new software that does not require a reboot to install > Offers stronger, simpler and smarter protection for your PC > Seamless integration with supported Windows Operating Systems > Easy to use, simple to configure, and the one tool in your arsenal that will be there to save the day when all else fails!

and it’s compatible with Firstdefence and Rolback RX.

Give it a try. It will be a great add-on to our already favorite comodo suite. (:WIN)
You can download it from http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/index_files/rvspersonal.htm

Thanks…I’ll try!

they have development in China… hmmm…
I wish we had some people there too :slight_smile:

Anyone out there?

Melih

How does this program compare to Sandbox IE? Is it better?
I want to try it. Thanks.

Same question here. But very interesting :slight_smile:

Greetz, Red.

Hiya,
I haven’t been around for quite a while due to several time consuming problems that have lately arisen. Anyway, I’m back. I have quite recently installed returnil and it looks very good so far. However, being such a ■■■■■, I haven’t tried out much to test it.
So maybe you can answer some of my questions:

1. What happens if system protection is on and I uninstall a programme. Will it be erased or not?
    Will it be back on my hd after a reboot?
  2. If I want to save say a word document or install a programme I have to turn off system protection, right?
  3. What is a good size for the virtual partition? I have currently 1GB. Big enough?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Cheerio,
    grampa.

Hello pandlouk,
Thank you for your interest in Returnil and your kind words.

nobodyinparticular and Rednose asked:

How does this program compare to Sandbox IE? Is it better?

Returnil and SandboxIE are compatible from all reports we have had to date. They work well together due to the difference in focus.

RVS protects the System Partition while SandboxIE locks down your browser. IOW, when used together, SandboxIE is keeping content from getting outside of your browser and RVS ensures that if anything does, it will ensure unwanted/malicious changes to the System Partition are lost at reboot.

grampa asked:

1) What happens if system protection is on and I uninstall a programme. Will it be erased or not? Will it be back on my hd after a reboot? 2) If I want to save say a word document or install a programme I have to turn off system protection, right? 3) What is a good size for the virtual partition? I have currently 1GB. Big enough? Thanks in advance for your help.
  1. If System Protection/Session Lock is ON, then any changes made to the System Partition will be lost at reboot. IOW, the program you install will be gone when you reboot your system with the following exceptions:

A) If you install the program on an alternate partition (Example: Program is installed to data partition D:\ ) the installation will not be lost at system reboot.

B) If you install the program within the RVS Virtual Partition (Returnil Z:\ ) the effect will be the same as “A”.

1. Yes and no. This depends more on where you want to save the content rather than what the content is. Saving/installing this content as discussed in #1 will not require turning OFF System Protection or rebooting to exit Session Lock.

If you want to install programs, defragment your HDD, or save documents within your System Partition (Install program on %s or save documents in My Documents folder) then you will need to turn System Protection OFF.

1. The size of the Virtual Partition is directly related to how you will be using it, but one to two GBs should be sufficient for most uses. We strongly recommend researching the creation and use of alternate partitions as opposed to reliance on the VP. The VP was designed in RVS as a convenience for those who have only one partition on their HDD.

One important caution to keep in mind when using the Virtual Partition is that you must have RVS installed to mount and/or access the content within the VP. If you later decide to uninstall RVS, please be sure to backup copies of the content you have saved inside the VP.

With Kind Regards
Mike Wood
Returnil SIA

Hi Coldmoon,
thanks for your very detailed comments on the workings of returnil. That really helped a lot. As I said I’ve been using Returnil for a week or two and am very happy so far. A very good programme and a great addition to anyone’s security setup. The only thing that is a wee bit annoying is that you always have to reboot when changing the system protection status. Like this you always have to start Windows with system protection turned off in order to run necessary updates of AVs, BOClean etc.; having done that, you have to turn on system protection and reboot. Finally you can start working with your computer. No Offence intended. Returnil is still one of the best programmes I’ve seen in a long time. Good work.
Cheers,
grampa.

Hello grampa,

Turning off System Protection/Session Lock without a reboot is a priority solution we are working on but it is not a trivial thing to solve. There are are very good reasons why even Microsoft itself requires a system reboot for some updates and patches and is due to the way Windows is designed.

The second issue you raise is valid and a good point. This is easily worked with and is another reason we recommend using alternate partitions on your HDD.

1. Most AV/AM/AS programs allow for loading and saving of signature files from non-default locations. So if possible you should change this setting in your preferences to save/load from a data partition.

2. As in #1, but using the RVS VP as the target save/load directory.

Some AV products do not allow changing the save/load directory in non-network (enterprise) editions of their software. A good example of this would be with Eset’s NOD32.

In these cases, you should be able to install the software on an alternate partition which would have the benefit of not having to worry about an update being lost post reboot.

Microsoft security updates will require that you have System Protection turned off, but this is much easier to deal with as these updates come once a month on the same day(s) each time. This means that it is trivial to turn the protection off on update day.

Mike

Hi Mike,
thanks for the quick reply. Sounds easy enough. I’ll give it a try.
Just one question (as I’m not an expert):
Can it influence an AV’s effectiveness when it’s not installed on the system partition?
Will it be automatically loaded at startup?
Is there anything else one should know when installing an AV on a non-system partition?
Thanks in advance,
grampa.

grampa,
There may be issues depending on your provider’s technology or with specific features they provide. I would recommend that specific questions about your AV would be better answered by thier support reps.

I do however use NOD32 and can report no issues after installing it on an alternate partition. The software updates and scans my system as configured and expected.

HTH

Mike

That’s good news as I’m currently trying Nod.
Cheers,
grampa.

Hi Mike :slight_smile:

Thank you for comming here to answer all our questions :slight_smile: You got my interest, and I will certainly try Returnil :slight_smile:

Greetz, Red.

Hi Red,
I am glad I could help. Please don’t be shy with your feedback regardless of whether it is positive or negative as both are appreciated and valued. The first validates what we are doing and the second gives us an opportunity to improve the software.

Mike