240p, 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p video at 1366x768

I have a laptop which has a 15.6" HD LED screen which has a native resolution of 1366x768 (720p). It does not have a Blu-ray drive but has a DVD drive.

I have the following questions:

1. Is any video content below 720p upscaled to 720p, such as 360p YouTube videos?
  2. Is 1080p video content downscaled to 720p, such as 1080p YouTube videos?

I know that at least with some Blu-ray players, DVDs are upscaled. I don’t know though if DVDs played on my computer are upscaled to 720p or not, or if any video content below 720p is upscaled to that. I used Google Search but I didn’t find any answers to my questions. I’m hoping someone here knows the answers.

I would doubt there is any scaling going on.

You would need to do some research on your video card and/or DVD viewing software to find out for sure.

I did some research but I don’t think I saw anything that answers my questions. My video card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470. (It has 1GB of dedicated VRAM.) I use Windows Media Player to watch my DVDs, and my operating system is Windows 7.

If you didn’t see anything that mentioned that it was scaling the output, that is most likely because it isn’t doing this.

Scaling is a bit of a selling point, and the literature of products that do this tend to prominently mention such a thing.

Okay, I think I understand. I wasn’t sure if my computer scaled anything. (Again, I know some Blu-ray players do.) Plus, I set both cable boxes from the cable company my father is subscribed to to show video at their native resolutions. (For example, if a channel is broadcasting in 720p, it will be shown in 720p versus 1080i.)