2.3.5.62 windows startup

While I am very pleased with the latest version, I have to manually start it at boot-up. I have looked evry where to find a change to enable “start with windows” to no avail. Tried to add cpf.exe to the Startup folder, but an error “cannot find clicappi.dll” appears. I have uninstalled and re-installed without solution. It seems that the launch pad is disabled or has disappeared although an entry still exists in the startup registry although it is disabled.

Any suggestions please?

ogun

Hi,

If you’ve recently downloaded a new version, then launchpad is not included anymore with the setup file as Comodo are gradually removing this from being installed with their products.

About your startup issue. Do you have any software that monitors registry / start up changes and may be blocking Comodo?

Mike

Mike,

Yes I do: Adaware SE plus, Ewido, Spybot S&D, Advanced Windows Care,Spywareguard, Spywareblaster, Avast! antivirus, Registry Mechanic. Any of the above would have alerted me of any change.

ogun

Ok, in that case can try disabling these and reinstalling as they may be blocking something during install.

Mike

ogun

I think Spybot S&D may be the problem. I have the same problem on one of my computers (although it worked on the other’s with Spybot S&D installed).

:slight_smile:

Guys, I followed the advice, no cigar. Created a rule in Adaware and SBS&D, still no cigar and have to manually start the app. Will continue to look for a solution though.Am unwilling to do without Comodo.

Thanks, ogun

Ok, can you go to start>>run>.type ‘msconfig’ (without quotes)>>‘startup’ tab>>see if there is an entry for CPF.

Mike

Yes there is and there also is a reference to an HKLM key entry for CLPtray. Wonder whether the system at start-up is stopping at the latter, and finding nothing, simply by-passes the HKLM key for CPF?
I have tried to delete the CLP key to no avail as it keeps re-appearing. Uninstalling both via the program feature and via Control Panel’ ARP do not remove the registry reference to the CLP…Interesting

Also the HKLM key for CPF refers to the path …cpf.exe sysrestart, a bit odd that last bit.

ogun

Hi,

Yes, that is interesting. Can you also check your anti spyware programs to see if they’ve detected a program called TrustToolbar as some programs give this false positive with CPF, as I had a similar problem like this before.

Mike

No, no TrustToolbar. Guess I’ll have to continue to manually start Comodo. Am pretty sure this problem is tied into the existence of the HKLM that makes a call on the CLP and finds nothing. Perhaps the next update will take care of this.

Thanks to all for the time and effort to help me out.
ogun

You’re welcome. I think this is something you should contact support about (http://support.comodo.com) and give a link to this thread so they know what’s already been discussed. They should be able to give you a better answer than what I can.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, I have done just that. Hopefully I will get some workable suggestion. In the meantime, I seem to have succeeded in getting the Secutity Center to recognize Comodo. Did this via WMI disabling,(difficult as Windows did not want to sooperate), WBEM\Repository deletion and a couple of restarts. This information was in the knowledge base.
So one down and one to go towards perfection (:LGH).

Thanks for you help!
ogun

Ok, that’s great ;). You should normally receive a reply from support within a few hours to a day.

Don’t forget to let us know how you get on. :slight_smile:

Mike

Mike,

I did receive first an acknowledgement and shortly thereafter, a message informing me that the issue had been forwarded to the developpers for further investigation. We’ll see.

ogun

ogun:

I thought I was paranoid about spyware but you have me beat with all those programs you are running! :smiley:

Recently I had a program in the Registry run key that refused to startup for some odd reason. When I moved it to the startup folder it ran perfectly. This was the only program that ever exhibited this behavior. Perhaps you could place CPF here and see what happens.

Yes, Streetwolf, I am paranoid about my privacy. Being a Yank, I am too well aware of the snooping abilities of the powers that be. Moreover, I have also found out that no single registry cleaner/watchdog does an entire good job by itself, thus I surround myself with (I hope) good antispyware and registry guard dogs.

I have tried your suggestion in the “all users” startup folder ( I think it’s the right place?) but Comodo does not start because the system cannot find “clicapi.dll” which is in the Program files\Comodo\firewall directory and probably in the Windows\system32 folder as well. Should I try somewhere else?

What I do is to manually start CFP while the system is initializing the other startups and before Windows security realizes that the firewall isn’t yet up. A bit annoying but that works for now.

ogun

The file clicapi.dll is Comodo’s Licensing Module. I think it should exist in Comodo product directories.

Finally resolved the startup issue: noticed that other apps in the startup file have a".lnk" attribute. Did a WIKI search on .lnk and realized that all I had to do was to create a shortcut to “cpf.exe”. I placed the resulting “cpf.lnk” in the starup menu and voila! so far so good. Love it!

Thanks to all for your interest and help.

Now how do I let the ticket people know that my issue is no longer?

ogun (:WAV)