192.168.1.1 and 169.254.35.113 - Cable Connection not working - Win7prof64

Dear Comodo Community

i am new to this program but i want to stay with it since it attracts me much more than my previous solution of ZA and Avira. But i cannot get my system to work properly. I have Win7Prof64.

My situation is as follows: WLAN finally works properly since i gave it a fix IP and Gateway:
DNS 208.67.222.222
alter 208.67.220.220

But when i connect my cable things are strange. First of all it takes ages to process (the wheel keeps turning and after some while it shows an unidentified network, but the connection from there to internet shows a red cross after another long while).

What i find strange is that in the details of my LAN connection it tells me the automatic IP of 169.254.35.113. Where does this come from, my router is giving the IPs in the 192.168.1.x range.

Furthermore, if i deactivate the COMODO Internet Security Firewall Driver in the Properties, the connection goes online immediately as it should. But it is not running through the COMODO firewall anymore of course, but at least it shows that it is a problem with the prog so it is solvable.

Another strange behaviour i observed: I thought to give the LAN connection also a fix IP, so i gave the same entries like shown above, just 192.168.1.55 of course not .57. After pressing OK Windows told me that having the same gateway in two connections might cause problems intranet internet lalala. Why this? Doesnt my WLAN and LAN have the same gateway, i only have one router which is the gateway, right, and they both use him, dont they?

And how strange, from that moment, even after i put it back to automatic, this cable connection was called Alice-WLANsk as well (which is the name of my WLAN). i must admit that i also dont understand this network thing of Win7 yet, it automatically detects networks and i tell it if they are private or public, but where can i find a list of all the things it found, where can i delete networks, change them etc?

A last maybe important fact is that on my old laptop with XP it works like a charme, with ZA. I want to stay with COMODO now and i hope you can help me making it work like a charm as well. I am not so familiar with the network stuff.

Thank you for your support
Sofian

Are you using static IP addresses, or is your router acting as the DHCP server for the LAN?

But when i connect my cable things are strange. First of all it[b] takes ages[/b] to process (the wheel keeps turning and after some while it shows an unidentified network, but the connection from there to internet shows a red cross after another long while).

What i find strange is that in the details of my LAN connection it tells me the automatic IP of 169.254.35.113. Where does this come from, my router is giving the IPs in the 192.168.1.x range.

An IP address from the 169.254.. range is usually allocated when a client is unable to contact a DHCP server.

Furthermore,[b] if i deactivate the COMODO Internet Security Firewall Driver[/b] in the Properties, the connection goes online immediately as it should. But it is not running through the COMODO firewall anymore of course, but at least it shows that it is a problem with the prog so it is solvable.

Perhaps you could describe the configuration you’re using in CIS. You can attach screen shots via additional options when creating a reply.

Another strange behaviour i observed: I thought to give the LAN connection also a fix IP, so i gave the same entries like shown above, just 192.168.1.55 of course not .57. After pressing OK Windows told me that having the [b]same gateway in two connections might cause problems[/b] intranet internet lalala. Why this? Doesnt my WLAN and LAN have the same gateway, i only have one router which is the gateway, right, and they both use him, dont they?

And how strange, from that moment, even after i put it back to automatic, this cable connection was called Alice-WLANsk as well (which is the name of my WLAN). i must admit that i also dont understand this network thing of Win7 yet, it automatically detects networks and i tell it if they are private or public, but where can i find a list of all the things it found, where can i delete networks, change them etc?

I’m not sure I fully understand. perhaps you can provide more detail about how you’ve configured things.

hello radaghast

thank you for reply, here more detailed information:

the router works as dhcp server, giving ips from 192.168.1.2 up to 192.168.1.250
because the connection established very slow, i gave my wlan a static ip as mentioned, now it connects in some seconds.

as i found out now, my router shows my laptop actually connected, but as unknown device, at the ip 192.168.1.5. interesting. yet, in the details of my lan connection the 169 ip is shown. strange isnt it?

regarding my cis settings, i applied the middle stealth port settings.
alert frequency level is very high with all boxes checked
firewall security level is custom policy, no boxes checked
network security policy:
besides the programs,
i block “system” completely,
the “svchost” is blocked with UDP out allowed to 192.168.1.1 on port 53 (which i read is for the dns) and 208.67.222.222 (which is the dns server i should put in the properties of the wlan) on any port.

regarding the last part: after i gave my wlan a static ip, i thought this might also help my lan to connect. so i entered also there the same information (besides giving it .55 instead of .57 of course) and then windows gave me an error message (since it is german it might not help you much, i added still to the attachment, and here i try a translation: warning - more standardgateways give redundance for a single netword (as for example a intranet or internet). the standardgateways dont work properly, if they are in two seperated networds (one gateway in the intranet and the other in the internet). should this configuration be saved?)
this is what the text said, i clicked yes and from that moment my lan connection showed up with the name of my WLAN. i dont know if this has anything to say, i just mentioned it in case it does. and i hope i could explain this time understandable.

looking forward to solve the issues
sofian

[attachment deleted by admin]

It sounds like you’ve blocked svchost from acquiring IP addresses via DHCP, which is one of it’s functions. At the least you should allow svchost to connect out on:

UPD
Out
Source Address - ANY
Destination Address - 255.255.255.255
Source Port - 68 or use ANY
Destination Port - 67

Create a rule to allow this and set your PCs as DHCP clients. See what happens.

the strange behaviour didnt stop, but this time in a good direction. to be able to read again the error message, i gave my lan again a fix ip. and now, whyever, everything works. i would still like to know why but for this i need to dive a bit deeper into win7, time will tell i guess. so for now it works as it should and i am happy with it.

thanks for your help, sometimes asking for more details solves everything :))))

what exactly is the rule you suggested doing? 255.255.255.255 on port 67 is what?

When you boot a PC that is configured to use DHCP, it has to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server. Initially, the PC doesn’t know the address of any DHCP servers, or even if any exist, so it broadcasts (255.255.255.255) on the local subnet to find one. The ports (67 and 68) are those used by DHCP server and client. If no DHCP servers respond within a set time, the client assigns itself an address from the 169.254.. range.

thank you for your help. it is good to know a bit more about what all the things do.
solved …