Author Topic: Analysis of COMODO toolbar by BOClean standards  (Read 40973 times)

Offline Eric Cryptid

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Security Saskquatch
Re: Analysis of COMODO toolbar by BOClean standards
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 02:26:03 AM »
Some anti-malware products falsely identify the toolbar as malware even though it isn't.

The toolbar was added as a CPF feature a couple of versions back. Version: Version 3.0.23.364.

A Lot of information about it came out at the time and can be found on this sticky post: http://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/comodo_safesurf_toolbar_info-t24180.0.html

Comodo's OWN toolbar is currently in beta. The idea of the toolbar was to provide some in browser BO Protection like Comodo Memory Firewall Does but only in browsers.

At the time, I did find a work around for installing comodo Safesurf and still being protected while at the same time uninstalling the ASK element of the toolbar.

Simply uninstall the ASK Toolbar in your Add/Remove programs.

Comodo SafeSurf is a separate entry.

Eric

Moderator: Any concerns? PM me and/or review the Forum Policy
System: 64 bit Win 10
Realtime Protection:CIS 12

Offline Rednose

• Malware Research Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 03:00:32 AM »
Hi Eric :)

Some anti-malware products identify the toolbar as adware, and I do beleve they have a point. The work around is known, but an installing option instead of un un-installing option would be better, don't you think ???

Greetz from the other Erik aka Red.

Offline SiberLynx

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 05:42:22 AM »
Some anti-malware products falsely identify the toolbar as malware even though it isn't.

The toolbar was added as a CPF feature a couple of versions back. Version: Version 3.0.23.364.

A Lot of information about it came out at the time and can be found on this sticky post...
.... I did find a work around for installing comodo Safesurf and still being protected while at the same time uninstalling the ASK element of the toolbar.
Simply uninstall the ASK Toolbar in your Add/Remove programs.
Comodo SafeSurf is a separate entry.
Hi Guys,

Eric,

I know a lot about FPs. And I know when Comodo's Toolbar was introduced.
(there are several posts of mine here and a Support Ticket hanging about (quite opposite) inability  to install it even if you want it)

Excluding s2.tmp s2.tmp, for example, detected by many - wasn't a question for me.

Aside note:  why are they sitting there when Comodo cannot install the Toolbar is a different Q (forget about it)

The discussion you are referring to was post factum findings and indeed "came out"/emerged .

Then, sure, you found workaround, I found workaround..., other users found workaround
(probably some still don't know).

Uninstall process of ASK via Add/Remove as I described is not Clean. There are leftovers.
The reputation of the company is still doubtful.

I do not ever allow myself install Real Player. That will never happen here no matter what.
I use Real Player Alternative for known reasons.

The reason of my initial question was raised because it was stated that users were aware of Ask. I don't think so. I was trying to install Comodo's ToolBar and I am fine with s1/2.tmp FPs...
... but not with Ask. In this case even being FP  - it  is not from my point of view because of
the way it sneaked into my PC - it is infection.

It is unacceptable !

I did want to use Comodo's Toolbar for the reasons published here - now I will not.
When and if "ASK" removed from installation...  I may re-consider.

My regards
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 05:53:39 AM by SiberLynx »
Main OS - Ubuntu
XP Pro, SP3 (32bit), Admin; Comodo Firewall 3.14.130099.587; Proactive with Defense+; Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9; Sandboxie
Win 7 x64, Admin (UAC off); Win7 advanced FW +TinyWall; Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9; Sandboxie
Win 7 Ultimate 32bit (UAC off); Emsisoft Internet Security v9 beta

Offline Eric Cryptid

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Security Saskquatch
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 06:25:35 AM »
Comodo have subsequently come out with their own toolbar. As far as I understand it, the ASK element has been removed though the search facility is still linked to the ASK Search page abut the ASK Toolbar isn't installed.http://forums.comodo.com/comodo_safesurf_and_comodos_own_toolbar/comodo_safesurf_toolbar_beta_0901_available_here-t24665.0.html

You can get better protection by simply installing Comodo Memory Firewall for the time being until Comodo's Toolbar is further develped or alternatively download teh toolbar beta and test it.

Personally, I run CMF instead of the toolbar so I get the added protection when I use my AOL account as well as IE7 and FF3.

P.S. There was some information around when the toolbar was introduced, that the toolbar was using the ASK toolbar as it's installation but since there has always been the alternative to install CMF and now with Comdo's own toolbar, there are plenty of alternatives.

P.P.S. Maybe a complete ASK Removal patch would be a good idea.

E
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:28:29 AM by Eric Cryptid »

Offline SiberLynx

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 07:14:10 AM »
P.P.S. Maybe a complete ASK Removal patch would be a good idea.
Eric,

Thanks for quick reply.
I just want to reply even before reading the link you provided.

Yes. That removal would be excellent idea.
I hope that eventually it will be pure Comodo's "Tools and Bars "  :)

I use CMF too (I should change Signature).

It was a bit surprising though to find Kevin's review and his opinion about this one in particular.

Thanks again. Cheers

P.S. ...almost forgot...  !ot!
 "AOL account !???" ... how it is possible that "security related" people using it.
Just kidding... at the same time pages of info & manuals regarding removing AOL in many cases end with "reformat"
Main OS - Ubuntu
XP Pro, SP3 (32bit), Admin; Comodo Firewall 3.14.130099.587; Proactive with Defense+; Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9; Sandboxie
Win 7 x64, Admin (UAC off); Win7 advanced FW +TinyWall; Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9; Sandboxie

Offline Eric Cryptid

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Security Saskquatch
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 11:27:58 AM »
Not a problem...

!ot! Yes, AOL a Pain in the backside but I've still not convinced her to use FF3 instead as AOL is our ISP and is cheapest unlimited broadband for us here in UK. Thankfully, only half an hour before the working day is over. I'm off for a Real Ale Pint on the way home.

E

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
  • A bad workman always blames his tools
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 11:39:33 AM »
Personally, I run CMF instead of the toolbar so I get the added protection when I use my AOL account as well as IE7 and FF3.

Comodo Safesurf protect all applications and could be more updated than CMF so I guess it would be still preferable to use it and use the new Comodo search toolbar after uninstalling the old Ask rebranded version.

I cannot agree to most concerns expressed about the old toolbar anyway the new one may feature new improved functionalities and actually prevent any FP misuse to spread FUD arguments.

There is nothing wrong if an user dislike search toolbars as such but IMHO each user has to come up with a decision by himself to operate CFP installer accordingly.
Anyway if a toolbar is really such a bad thing I would like to understand this peculiar viewpoint reading a specific topic.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 11:44:31 AM by gibran »
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

Offline SiberLynx

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 12:46:38 PM »
Comodo Safesurf protect all applications and could be more updated than CMF so I guess it would be still preferable to use it and use the new Comodo search toolbar after uninstalling the old Ask rebranded version.

I cannot agree to most concerns expressed about the old toolbar anyway the new one may feature new improved functionalities and actually prevent any FP misuse to spread FUD arguments.

There is nothing wrong if an user dislike search toolbars as such but IMHO each user has to come up with a decision by himself to operate CFP installer accordingly.
Anyway if a toolbar is really such a bad thing I would like to understand this peculiar viewpoint reading a specific topic.
Hi gibran,

Thanks for reply.
The idea behind Toolbar being "the protector of everything" was in the air from the beginning.
I personally was really supportive.
It is just happened (as it happens with many releases here unfortunately) that announcements are coming earlier than proper description of new features.
That is why I declined Toolbar and Search & stuff. Thinking that I will get it later if I want.
When I decided to install it - it is was not possible because of a bug. Period. Sorry for repetition of that story
each user has to come up with a decision by himself to operate CFP installer accordingly
That didn't work
Nevertheless much later I found ASK on my PC togehter with those s#.tmp files.
Now my peculiar point of view touches only #1 in Kevin's point of view.
If tmp files may be considered as some leftovers - the ASK thing was completely installed .  So, even if you are saying that Ask guys were bad in the past but then became good innocent "never sinned" babies (that is me to decide, as a matter of fact) - The piece of that software should not be present in my system. I declined in the first place and when I wanted Comodos Toolbar - it was just unavailable.
1.  Installed without the knowledge of the user.
Yes it was.
So what is more peculiar the installation of the thing with bad reputation in the past or my point of view?
It is good news about new Comodo's Toolbar sounds encouraging.

What is discouraging and almost insulting is to say that my peculiar point of view about the Software being installed on my PC without my knowledge is "spreading FUD"
In addition, despite my English is not perfect it was not necessary to put FUD as a link because I know the meaning. And it wasn't what I tried to achieve with such a peculiar point of view.
Quite the contrary.

My regards

P.S. yes, those are just different points of views  (R) anyway.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 12:51:21 PM by SiberLynx »
Main OS - Ubuntu

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
  • A bad workman always blames his tools
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 01:57:40 PM »
What is discouraging and almost insulting is to say that my peculiar point of view about the Software being installed on my PC without my knowledge is "spreading FUD"
In addition, despite my English is not perfect it was not necessary to put FUD as a link because I know the meaning. And it wasn't what I tried to achieve with such a peculiar point of view.

I'm sorry if you had such a negative impression but that post was not a reply to yours. As for the reason I usually put links in my posts it is a simple one. I take much efforts to make my posts as much informative as I can for any reader as IMHO a forum is intended for a many to many communications. Since I'm not confident with my own writing skill sometimes I even link specific words to dictionary references to prevent misunderstandings. Silly me, it never crossed my mind that this could be misinterpreted as a disrespectful behaviour.

Thus I hope this explanation will enough to prove my good faith.

The simple fact you mentioned FP in your post or that you considered the new toolbar a viable alternative meant that we shared at least some points. I already read many other topics that did not even address s1/2.tmp as False Positives (quite the contrary).

Reading your posts now I'm confused about some aspects.

If you found out a toolbar unistaller entry IMHO this should mean that during installation you agreed to install Comodo Safesurf toolbar.
s1/2.tmp are inert leftovers as they are not active in any way and they could be safely deleted. Since they never meant to be installed this is obviously a bug of CFP installation and is likely to be removed in future versions. That toolbar itself points to Comodo Search that is a rebranded search engine using Ask infrastructure. Rebranding looks a legit practice to me and it is not an unusual practice in software licensing. The new beta version of Safesurf toolbar still use Comodo search.

It could be interesting to thorougfully address these and other related points in a separate topic (It would still be possible to link that topic from here anyway).

EDIT: Those points will be adessed into Comodo Safesurf installation Q&A
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 06:18:03 AM by gibran »
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek