Author Topic: What do I think about Comodo?  (Read 108496 times)

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: What do I think about Comodo?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 09:02:42 AM »
SS26: Bob's case is off topic here. If you want, please, start your own thread about it or, better, about people that bash Comodo and how Comodo should react to them.

It is just very hard to believe that management of Avast are complete idiots.
It's not only hard to believe. It's false. Bob was not under avast team orders.
avast! team member
Save freeware snapshot technology of Comodo Time Machine. Vote!

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2011, 09:05:52 AM »
lol....the main issue is the "paid trolls" that needs moderating....:) that is the issue......
If you're talking about Bob, well, Melih, you know that Bob was not acting by avast payment. He could be avast biased otherwise.
By the way, you know Bob is not a troll.

But, why can't we stop talking about Bob? Is it an unresistable force to off-topic? ;D
avast! team member

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2011, 09:18:37 AM »
1. Comodo is a competitor of avast, AVG and Avira as the three big "A"s sell a product that Comodo releases for free.

2. avast, AVG and Avira aren't competitors of Comodo for the same reason: Comodo already releases a full suite (antivirus, firewall, HIPS, etc.) for free, so the others aren't directly the competition. Ok, they take the mouth-to-mouth and eat the market share... but, not in the same products.

3. The Comodo competition is Symantec (Verisign) and other paid services (of online backup, for instance, but also encryption, connection privacy, digital certificates). Melih knows that, acts with this in mind.
Back on topic, Melih, please, if you have time, can you say "yes" or "no" to my assumptions? Thanks.
avast! team member

Offline HeffeD

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: What do I think about Comodo
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2011, 09:57:21 AM »
I usually use the "report to Moderator" feature to inform about spam. But, really, I see very little here.

You would be surprised at how much spam actually hits the forum. It's just whisked away by the moderators. :)

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2011, 12:29:50 PM »
Back on topic, Melih, please, if you have time, can you say "yes" or "no" to my assumptions? Thanks.

Define me the word: Competitor.

You will see it will be based on what we "compete" on..
is it the same money pool we are after or is it the same users we are after.

From money pool point of view...Symantec and McAfee is our competitors.

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2011, 04:05:21 PM »
Is it the same users we are after.
But if you do not earn from the users... It's all free...
If other antivirus users grow, what do you lose? Word-of-mouth? Use the paid solutions? But in that case, your competitors aren't the free antivirus/firewalls out there.
If you lost your credibility, word-of-mouth, public recognition, then you'll fail. That is the point, isn't it?
avast! team member

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2011, 04:09:39 PM »
But if you do not earn from the users... It's all free...
If other antivirus users grow, what do you lose? Word-of-mouth? Use the paid solutions? But in that case, your competitors aren't the free antivirus/firewalls out there.
If you lost your credibility, word-of-mouth, public recognition, then you'll fail. That is the point, isn't it?

and you are sure to lose your credibility if you don't fight for end users!

Melih

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2011, 04:12:10 PM »
And you are sure to lose your credibility if you don't fight for end users!
Most certainly. You lose your credibility when you don't offer a better and better product, when the forum atmosphere get corrupted, when users start to FUD in Internet, or lie...
Success is a mix of things... You need to achieve the balance and there is always room for improvement.
avast! team member

Offline BoredNow

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2011, 06:47:55 PM »
Well since this thread is all about OPINION, which is not the reason I visit this forum,
I am tempted to just pass by...but what the hell.

It seems to me that since CIS provides equally strong protection for free it doesn't have
competitors...only enemies.
The AV Companies who have something to lose are the ones that rely on the
'fear = profit' business model.

When I decided to get serious about protecting my computer, I went to Wilders and soon
discovered that Comodo was both revered and reviled. This hinted that Comodo was doing  
something special (rocking the boat).
I read Melihs 'manifesto' and decided that I wanted to try Comodo, even though I had no
idea what HIPS was and I had heard time and time again that it was not user friendly.
However, since I had already been burnt (read: infected) by the 'user friendly' N*&t*n
and A^[at]$t, I was ready to experiment with Comodo.
It was no where near the nightmare that other forums had warned about, and after
being infected in the past, I was grateful that Comodo was so mindful of what was
flowing thru my computer.

I've been reading this forum nearly every day since last July, and have never seen
this 'Bob' character until the DACS thread poped up.
I remember thinking "is this some Wilders hate-monger trying to spread FUD?"
Then I went into 'Bobs' profile and started reading his old posts; they were less than
stellar and rather snarky; peppered with the term 'fanboy' which is, of course, a pejorative
no matter what the context.
Turns out he had been a member since 2006 (?) and had only posted 35 (?) times,
which seems to suggest that he just shows up to snipe.

Up until that DACS thread, my perception of the Comodo forum was very positive.
Melih was obviously very pleased and exited to offer such a tool to his users; then the
bogus 'it's not legal' BS started flying and it allwent to hell.
It was like I was back at Wilders again. Don't get me wrong, Wilders has alot of helpful
members, but when the name Melih is mentioned, some people can get rather rude,
and I suspect that AV industry insiders are members who like to throw BS at
competitors, especially Comodo, because when Melih pulls back the curtain to expose
them for what they are (fear mongers) they get even the only way they
know how...more fear.

Melih (like Tzuk over at Sandboxie) is very involved with his customers, and seems
to genuinely want to please them and keep their computers free of malware.
He wants to know what we're thinking and what we
wish for...it's nice to see. I can't blame him for his reaction to all the BS and fear.

So there you have it...my opinion...like a leaf in the wind.  :P
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 07:42:15 PM by BoredNow »
Home built gaming rig
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CCAV
Sandboxie 5.6

Offline Citizen K

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2011, 06:51:48 PM »
Most certainly. You lose your credibility when
you don't offer a better and better product,
when the forum atmosphere get corrupted,
when users start to FUD in Internet, or lie...
Success is a mix of things... You need to achieve the balance and there is always room for improvement.
That's all very true. Where is the unbalance in the above according to you? Where is there room for improvement?

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
Which is the Comodo products future?
Which one will survive and which one will be let to the discontinued products lists... death...
All the efforts to CIS, what about the other products? CPM, CB, CTM, will all of them dark in the cold? Is there a life after CIS?

A lot of suggestions being collected for future programs.
For what? Which is the product strategy of Comodo? Why are some products marked to be buried?
avast! team member

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2011, 07:03:58 PM »
Where is the unbalance in the above according to you?
The forum atmosphere: it should a place to never forget, like Starbucks experience...

Where is there room for improvement?
Patient moderator, envolving, trying to get the user closer and understand its real intentions... then, surprise him with a friendly answer, quick, useful... He would come back for sure...
Besides that, finish/develop the products. Offer and deliver the programs. Frustration is another bad-mouth and bad-press... We want our products forever, they're the best... and some days after that... it awoke in the end of the forum... discontinued products... The user think he was foolish, like me, with Comodo Time Machine... ::)
avast! team member

Offline Citizen K

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2011, 07:47:57 PM »
The forum atmosphere: it should a place to never forget, like Starbucks experience...
Patient moderator, envolving, trying to get the user closer and understand its real intentions... then, surprise him with a friendly answer, quick, useful... He would come back for sure...
Could you provide us with examples now or in the future where that is not the case?

Besides that, finish/develop the products. Offer and deliver the programs. Frustration is another bad-mouth and bad-press... We want our products forever, they're the best... and some days after that... it awoke in the end of the forum... discontinued products... The user think he was foolish, like me, with Comodo Time Machine... ::)
That's up to Comodo.

That's the way of the world. Sometimes products are stopped or integrated in others.

Regarding Time Machine, the last thing I know, they are still working on it but it may morph into something else.

Offline LaserWraith

• pillow fighting fool
  • Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
  • I'm going to go out with a bang
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2011, 08:25:10 PM »
Which is the Comodo products future?
Which one will survive and which one will be let to the discontinued products lists... death...
All the efforts to CIS, what about the other products? CPM, CB, CTM, will all of them dark in the cold? Is there a life after CIS?

A lot of suggestions being collected for future programs.
For what? Which is the product strategy of Comodo? Why are some products marked to be buried?

This is an interesting question.  Comodo's "side projects" often appear, then dwindle away into discontinued.  Is there a reason, or just poor management?  For example, Comodo's (passworld) Vault?  And more...just check this huge list: https://forums.Comodo.com/discontinued-products-b219.0/  One just wonders what will be next, and if any of those discontinued products have a use now.

Offline glifford

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: What do I think about Comodo
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2011, 12:36:16 AM »
Anyone in the mood for a spot of dry melodrama?

it was a general statement :) I get it a lot, people saying: you are the CEO you shouldn't be involved...for me, I am the CEO I should be involved :)

Yes. It was rather general. That's why I called it passive.

Let's not lose sight of the context so soon. "The issue is: [...]" - Where? Where is this an issue? Apparently not in this thread. So what's the relevance? Wait... "As to whether this is a job for a CEO [...]" -  when was such a dilemma broached? Not in this thread either? So what's the relevance? Wait... "come on guys...what are you talking about..." - who are you referring to? Apparently no one in this thread. So, what's the relevance?

Heck, you had already misinterpreted my position once prior, or at least met it in an eerily similar fashion. What was a critique of tact was met with an interpretation that it was a critique of any defense, and so an argument was put forth for defense. What was a critique of tact, assuming what you said was passively in reference to me, was met with an interpretation that it was a critique of any involvement by you, and so an argument was put forth for your involvement. You have since used a more recent post of mine to drive home the latter, an address to a critique that I, in that same post, explicitly said I had not made - and left your response at that, with no interest as to what my critique, if not the one you thought, could be.

Maybe... a brief allegory...

A group of acquaintances are discussing sports at a cocktail party. But there's that one downer who has to put his two cents in. The downer says, "I can't really get into sports. The triumph, as genuine as it is, just isn't personal enough for me." Seeing that the remark has left something of an awkward situation, the downer heads off for the buffet. As he's leaving, someone else in the discussion remarks with the following, mind you with a big smile on his face, "As for whether or not sports can be appreciated - come on - of course they can. The issue is: people just aren't man enough to realize it."

Though Melih, if you're getting the sneaking suspicion that the character speaking at the end of the story might be intended to represent you, don't. It was just a general story. People are quite often passive in their dealings with others.

Now, let's say hypothetically, I buy that what you said had nothing to do with me. That would still leave my critique unacknowledged, now wouldn't it?

(Hopefully this was entertaining to the larger portion of you. See, as a pseudo intellectual, and I mean that in the most derogatory way, I'm pretty insecure about my cognitive abilities. So when I'm being taken for a ride, or expected to 'eat it', well, a part of me dies inside.)

:P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:31:14 AM by glifford »

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek