Author Topic: What do I think about Comodo?  (Read 107539 times)

Offline Sanya IV Litvyak

• Comodo's Hero
  • Lurking
Re: What do I think about Comodo?
« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2014, 05:40:59 PM »
I'm a past user of AVG, Avast, & Bitdefender, and switched to Comodo a year ago. I dropped AVG and Avast because they were way too aggressive with nag notices popping up to warn me that my subscription was expiring soon. I don't mind a weekly reminder but not several times a day. AVG was the worse because they gave my email addresses to resellers who seemed to be competing for my renewal. I dropped Bitdefender simply because there was no method to exclude or mark files that gave false positives.

I've been happy with Comodo with the exception of a couple of things. One is that the Auto-Sandboxing is extremely annoying in that it blocks almost every danged program I've tried to install, often resulting with the program failing to install and my having to temporarily disable the Sandbox and try again. The second issue was that I was doing a system scan once and sent it to the background, only to find that i couldn't bring it to the foreground again. If there is a method to do so there wasn't an icon or button that I could find and the help file said nothing about how to bring an active scan back to the foreground.

What prompted me to register and post is that a few days ago I needed to upgrade my Windows 7 32-bit to Win 7 x64 and had to reinstall Comodo. Today I received a dreaded pop-up notification about an additional product with an included discount coupon. I want to warn your corporate decision makers to tread lightly in using intrusive marketing techniques to promote products via the Comodo interface. This is why I left AVG & Avast as when I pay for a product I do not like being interrupted with nag notices every few hours to renew a subscription or purchase additional products. My thinking is that if a product is good it will sell itself.

Hopefully the advertisement that popped up a few minutes ago will not be repeated. If it does or other sales offers start popping up then I'll have to start looking for another AV product once again. Every major AV product typically does what they're intended to do. It's how the companies treat their customers after the purchase that determines my loyalty to the product or company. So I only present this as a general warning to avoid the temptation to become too aggressive with marketing through the products user interface.
That's all.

Hello kst357,

I made a little video of how you can bring back a scan to the foreground and how to turn off Comodo Message Center (the promotional pop up) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyNyBXQFm6Y&feature=youtu.be (Normally I do it in text but.. I'm getting lazy :-\)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:48:52 PM by Sanya IV Litvyak »
I support privacy and freedom online - eff.org

Offline ag346

• Comodo Member
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2014, 10:09:06 PM »
I've been using Comodo for about a year and I think Comodo has great potential but it is a very confusing brand.

If one of the main goals of Comodo is to create trust online, then why doesn't it use its status as one of the top Certificate Authorities to address some of the big issues that others are not in as good of a position to do anything about.  Offering security products for free is a noble gesture, but as others have commented, there are lots of other decent options that are also free.  Why not focus on Comodo's strength instead?

I think that many people would agree that some of the biggest problems on the internet come from malicious emails sent by untrustworthy people.  Isn't that one of the precise issues that S/MIME certificates are supposed to address?  I believe that the top Certificate Authorities should be making an effort to bridge the gap between how complicated it is for inexperienced users to use signed/encrypted emails.

Offline merke

• Comodo's Hero
  • presto bingo
« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2014, 07:33:55 AM »
Is cis a good product ? it is business and business still offer free option/version and i do hope it will continue.
Malicious e-mails are coming also from our first contact to someone else ... it is a risk that i assume clearly : i am the first involved when i open my mailbox.
Certificate is a question of confidence and authorities are not anymore at the top ...(cf lavabit-letter), it can be falsified as soon as they are compromised with a contract of us-government ((and another). I have not yet tried comodo certificate e-mail - it will be for the next month. i need time to (like saying ag346 : ... how complicated it is for inexperienced users to use signed/encrypted emails ... -x509 i guess-) read carefully the  guide and see if it suits me.
i am using Gpa and i have not a difficulty using it.
when ag346 is speaking about "   Isn't that one of the precise issues that S/MIME certificates are supposed to address? " : is it about 'sign' or 'encrypt/decrypt' ?
the goal of a certificate is not to be protected against malicious e-mail  but only to be certain that it is confidential and not falsified if i did understand a bit the encryption protocol.
i am happy with cis and i am sure that is a good choice but i cannot say if it is the best choice for every one.
Do i need crystal ? i do not know,
Is their certificate secure ant not-compromised ? i do not know.
Is the anti-virus firewall and another product better than the others companies ? i do not know. I tried avira, avast, personalfirewall, zonealarm, macaffe ... i cannot compare ...

With cis premium and Windows 8 x64 : i have not anymore trouble, recovery and partition-point problems or incompatibility ... so, now i can try vpn, gpg, proxies without to be afraid of malfunction. 
Comodo should maybe show us how to use certificate/encrypt by a video - the wish of ag346 perhaps -

Cis brought me that i looked for : a feeling of stability/security. 

Trust-online is not my  cup of tea (i am not leaving so far of my bank and i do not do business with four continents) so as user-lambda ; i am satisfied.

Thx.
Is it a real world ?

Offline ag346

• Comodo Member
« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2014, 07:44:07 PM »
"Certificate is a question of confidence and authorities are not anymore at the top ...(cf lavabit-letter)"
I'm not sure what you mean here, can you explain?  As far as SSL certificates go, the CA is at the top.  Perhaps you meant something else?

"when ag346 is speaking about "   Isn't that one of the precise issues that S/MIME certificates are supposed to address? " : is it about 'sign' or 'encrypt/decrypt' ?
the goal of a certificate is not to be protected against malicious e-mail  but only to be certain that it is confidential and not falsified if i did understand a bit the encryption protocol. "

Many (not all) of the malicious e-mails are sent by untrustworthy people who use spam email addresses that recipient is not familiar with.  The SSL certificate can be used as a way to automatically sort between emails that come from trustworthy vs. untrustworthy (anonymous) sources.  Just like spam filters, the system would not be perfect, but that's not reason to not implement it.  In fact there is a lot of room for innovative ways to use S/MIME certificates.  For example

Cut back/eliminate phishing scams with signed messages from reputable companies.  A bank for example could send official communications only using a signed class 2 certificate from xyz CA provider.  Reputable email applications could further strengthen this process by hardcoding the SSL thumbprint that reputable companies use.

Companies that send newsletters with a signed email can establish a reputation over time that can be tracked in a public database.  End-users could share their experience with the company sending spam, not honoring unsubscribe requests, etc.  This would give companies an incentive to protect their reputation of the emails signed with their certificate.

Offline merke

• Comodo's Hero
  • presto bingo
« Reply #154 on: March 06, 2014, 11:28:51 PM »
i am reading your post again and mine then your answer :

"Certificate is a question of confidence and authorities are not anymore at the top ...(cf lavabit-letter)"
I'm not sure what you mean here, can you explain?  As far as SSL certificates go, the CA is at the top.  Perhaps you meant something else?

i suppose you was speaking about a certificate to sign/encrypt/decrypt so no, a certificate does not prove more than it is ; few problems occurs - falsified certificate - not ID verified by the receiver - certificate used from another person who is not in the trust chain and another ... that i have not in mind. About lavabit, before closing his enterprise, every members received a letter explaining why he have to make this choice ... further explanations ca
Is it a real world ?

Offline merke

• Comodo's Hero
  • presto bingo
« Reply #155 on: March 06, 2014, 11:51:14 PM »
can be found on the net.
i do not wish speaking about nsa/government power/money & laws etc. 

so a "system" should have to filter e-mail because a " untrustworthy " use a certificate which is used to be trustworthy ?
and your demand / request is that this "system be implemented ?

i thing a misuse or abuse cannot be controlled but if a technical intelligent filter can do it ; why not ?

i read " from reputable companies " ... " an authority " ... " reputation " ... well as long as you believe in their good faith and their respect. Their self-respect/honor/reputation can have less value (maybe) than their benefits.
Is it a real world ?

Offline merke

• Comodo's Hero
  • presto bingo
« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2014, 12:10:17 AM »
ssl :
A notable case of CA subversion like this occurred in 2001, when the certificate authority VeriSign issued two certificates to a person claiming to represent Microsoft. The certificates have the name "Microsoft Corporation", so could be used to spoof someone into believing that updates to Microsoft software came from Microsoft when they actually did not. The fraud was detected in early 2001. Microsoft and VeriSign took steps to limit the impact of the problem.[15][16]

In 2011 fraudulent certificates were obtained from Comodo and DigiNotar,[17][18] allegedly by Iranian hackers. There is evidence that the fraudulent DigiNotar certificates were used in a man-in-the-middle attack in Iran.[19]

In 2012, it became known that Trustwave issued a subordinate root certificate that was used for transparent traffic management (man-in-the-middle) which effectively permitted an enterprise to sniff SSL internal network traffic using the subordinate certificate

Limitations :
    An SSL certificate, by itself, does not guarantee that your interactions with a website are safe. They do not guarantee that a website has not been hacked and cannot offer protection if the user's computer is infected with a virus that monitors keystrokes. Additionally, an SSL certificate cannot guarantee that the business itself is legitimate.
Is it a real world ?

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2014, 07:55:12 AM »
Limitations :
    An SSL certificate, by itself, does not guarantee that your interactions with a website are safe. They do not guarantee that a website has not been hacked and cannot offer protection if the user's computer is infected with a virus that monitors keystrokes. Additionally, an SSL certificate cannot guarantee that the business itself is legitimate.

The steps required to obtain an EV-SSL certificate includes business validity checks.

Ewen :-)
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline merke

• Comodo's Hero
  • presto bingo
« Reply #158 on: March 13, 2014, 12:09:34 PM »
yes EV ... (extended) ... of course ... but i was informed that it exists 
  • black list
    compromised ev
i was said that ssl is a club - an influence power - every owner of ev are in a
Is it a real world ?

Offline merke

• Comodo's Hero
  • presto bingo
« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2014, 12:11:59 PM »
.. tiring to be cut when i am writing ... every owner of ev are in a
 :D
Thx.
Is it a real world ?

Offline ag346

• Comodo Member
« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2014, 07:30:55 PM »
a certificate does not prove more than it is ; few problems occurs - falsified certificate - not ID verified by the receiver - certificate used from another person who is not in the trust chain and another

I think that you are merely pointing out what I had mentioned earlier, that the system would not be perfect.  However, perfect systems are rare and there are cases where traditional forms of ID such as driver licenses, passport, birth certificate, etc. have been falsified.  The same is true of traditional authentication methods such as keys, vehicle safety systems, etc.  The point is, just because they're not perfect is not a good reason to not use them.  Many people could have their homes broken into by simply breaking a window, and yet many people still lock their doors.

so a "system" should have to filter e-mail because a " untrustworthy " use a certificate which is used to be trustworthy ?
and your demand / request is that this "system be implemented ?

My general argument is that even though I think it's great the COMODO offers so many free products, it should consider refocusing its effort into doing something which would be very difficult for other companies to pull off.  For example, any company or individual could create a free program that backs up your date, cleans out old files, etc.  However, when it comes to creating a public CA not only is it very expensive, but it is also very difficult to establish a #2 position in the industry.  COMODO could leverage that fact by creating products that encourage the use of SSL certificates.  For example, if COMODO created an email program/service, the setup process could automatically walk the person through signing up for a free SSL certificate and having it installed and configured automatically.  Another useful product that could feature SSL technology is some kind of software scan utility that checks yours system for unsigned installation files, device drivers, etc.  The collected data could then be crowdsourced into a public database showcasing developers who do not digitally sign their products.

A notable case of CA subversion like this occurred in 2001, when the certificate authority VeriSign issued two certificates to a person claiming to represent Microsoft. The certificates have the name "Microsoft Corporation", so could be used to spoof someone into believing that updates to Microsoft software came from Microsoft when they actually did not. The fraud was detected in early 2001. Microsoft and VeriSign took steps to limit the impact of the problem.[15][16]

No screening process will ever be perfect and an imperfect system that guarantees 90% probability of safety is better than not having any system in place and therefore going with the idea of "use at your own risk" so to speak.  If you look at any independent tests done of anti-malware programs you are likely to find that most of them fail to identify one or two threats.

Offline merke

• Comodo's Hero
  • presto bingo
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2014, 08:25:43 PM »
It is very interesting but ...
1° : system (encrypted etc.) - basis - is done from confidence to confidence for a trustworthy relation-ship and not to be perfect ... it is a privacy tool not a lock door protecting your life or your money or your home. So this system cannot work with false information or falsified data ... nothing to compare with the real life (ID) ... here we are in a virtual world.
2° : about the second point , i will say that politics of a company (comodo p.e) is their own business ; but i notice that your wish is to educate people and not to show them a safety and secure way to live on the net : it is not in the same area of conception and not done with the same mind.
3° :  i meant that it is difficult to be ... awaked ... in front of so many bad people and the only " shield " is to be perfect or at least to try to become it.
so ;  no, an imperfect thing have not to be tolerate.

Of course i agree with you and that you wrote is nice.
Using the best tool ; you will have the best experience. 

For example, if COMODO created an email program/service, the setup process could automatically walk the person through signing up for a free SSL certificate and having it installed and configured automatically.  Another useful product that could feature SSL technology is some kind of software scan utility that checks yours system for unsigned installation files, device drivers, etc.  The collected data could then be crowdsourced into a public database showcasing developers who do not digitally sign their products.

All that is yet done and maybe in a near future it will be implemented in all the products all around the world from all the companies. Actually ; the right to decide and choose is a freedom not given from a law or a mind but from the personality of sometimes only one person. Influencing or making brain storming ; working "free software" mind ; be open ; it is working with high quality of persons and intelligent goals (very rare) for a result that sometimes is not accepted by the users (cf the best made cars - mercedes p.e - are less sold than the cars which have a better look ).

Very interesting post ag346 - Thx.
Is it a real world ?

Offline merke

• Comodo's Hero
  • presto bingo
« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2014, 06:09:13 AM »
collected data ?
public database ?
showcasing developers ?
who do not digitally sign their products ?

let's answer developers but i, i am perplex and will not follow you in this intrusive/open way.
Is it a real world ?

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek