Author Topic: What do I think about Comodo?  (Read 104699 times)

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: What do I think about Comodo
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 06:54:44 PM »
So this forum does need to have a defensive mechanism which can be more effective than deleting ill informed posts.
For sure deleting is NOT the solution. Banning (some of them) isn't either.
The defense mechanism should make clear the vision and the truth. Flaming is not a good way to show the truth. The truth convinces and the one who reach the truth should be glad and not feeling himself/herself as being lost a battle.
In other words, the final experience of being in a forum is what counts. If it is a place to come back or not, if we're happy or not, if we grow up or not or less...
avast! team member
Save freeware snapshot technology of Comodo Time Machine. Vote!

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 06:57:56 PM »
Bob failed to corroborate his accusations. That had to be pointed out various times to the users of that topic who failed to see this as the real underlying problem.
Ok Eric, but this is not another "Bob's thread", I'm not reopening the "case", just trying to discuss the forum itself and our (users) experience with it, with multiply opinions, difficult circumstances, etc.
Besides, I try not to feel like accusations the different opinions (or even the errors of the others). I think it does not help the dialog. Why "accusations"? (I'm not talking about Bob's case).
avast! team member

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 07:24:21 PM »
I wish other users, that usually jump to other discussions, come here to say a word about ourselves.
Or isn't it that interesting?
By the way, thanks Melih for coming  ;)
avast! team member

Offline Watasha

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 07:37:47 PM »
With forum popularity comes strife in many cases. This Comodo forum is very active, many of these users being non-Comodo users & some being downright trolls/flamers. I'm not one to bury my head in the sand when some issue arises about CIS or whatever else, that's the way it should be if you ask me. I try to have fun here, learn here, help here and yes, even complain here from time to time. On other security forums online you always hear people talking about how awful the Comodo forums are and how it's made up entirely of fanboys. I find it funny that although these people would NEVER be caught dead here we are so active (we're sure as hell not only made up of Comodo users). Are there cases where I think users blindly defend Comodo or a Comodo product when they shouldn't? Yes. Are there cases where I think people blindly put down Comodo or a Comodo product just to throw the forum into a tiz? Absolutely. It's a tradeoff, but overall I think we're definitely on the right side of the fence in most cases.
Resident: Comodo CIS
AVG Linkscanner

On Demand: MBAM & SAS
Hitman Pro

2010 National Champion Auburn Tigers!!!
WAR EAGLE!

Offline tormod

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 09:26:04 PM »
With forum popularity comes strife in many cases. This Comodo forum is very active, many of these users being non-Comodo users & some being downright trolls/flamers. I'm not one to bury my head in the sand when some issue arises about CIS or whatever else, that's the way it should be if you ask me. I try to have fun here, learn here, help here and yes, even complain here from time to time. On other security forums online you always hear people talking about how awful the Comodo forums are and how it's made up entirely of fanboys. I find it funny that although these people would NEVER be caught dead here we are so active (we're sure as hell not only made up of Comodo users). Are there cases where I think users blindly defend Comodo or a Comodo product when they shouldn't? Yes. Are there cases where I think people blindly put down Comodo or a Comodo product just to throw the forum into a tiz? Absolutely. It's a tradeoff, but overall I think we're definitely on the right side of the fence in most cases.
+1 well said

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 10:08:53 PM »
Ok Eric, but this is not another "Bob's thread", I'm not reopening the "case", just trying to discuss the forum itself and our (users) experience with it, with multiply opinions, difficult circumstances, etc.
Besides, I try not to feel like accusations the different opinions (or even the errors of the others). I think it does not help the dialog. Why "accusations"? (I'm not talking about Bob's case).

What Eric is trying to convey is that our defense mechanism was working nicely dealing with an "unsatisfied user". But Once the realisation set in that this is a "paid blogger/advocate" of some sort we had to show him for who he was. Because the intentions were different.

If it was simply a user whose "game plan" wasn't about discrediting competition while promoting the "payer", then the method would have been different.

But a "paid blogger" will continue to "evangalise and spread the word" so he had to be shown for who he was, so that people took his "false accusations" with a pinch of salt.

As to whether this is a job for a CEO, mod etc...come on guys...what are you talking about...we are all the same...I will lead by example! I will fight one on one for end users! I will get my hands dirty for end users! I don't think our end user would appreciate a CEO who didn't lead by example!

The issue is: People are going with what they are "used to" seeing. CEOs that don't get truly "involved" with their end users. So that is the "mould" they are comparing me with. Pls don't :)

Melih

Offline glifford

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 11:08:15 PM »
Well... if I haven't quite yet overstayed my welcome...

The issue is: People are going with what they are "used to" seeing. CEOs that don't get truly "involved" with their end users. So that is the "mould" they are comparing me with. Pls don't :)

This is precisely the false dichotomy I was talking about in my last post.

And Melih, considering that I'm the only person in this thread that's thus far critiqued your "involvement" would you say it's fair for me to assume that I'm one of those people to which you're referring? Because I really don't appreciate that kind of passive dismissal of my opinion.

... particularly when it's not my opinion. I do not expect nor want you, Melih, to be less involved.

Hell, I'm thankful you're as involved as you are.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:32:05 PM by glifford »

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 01:46:51 AM »
[at] Glifford, your welcome has a loooong way to go before it's worn out. Your rational mind has been made evident in your charettes, and your posts in this thread are equally clear. It's a pleasure to read honest, concise communications. :-TU

What do I think of Comodo?

As a user of the companies products - they produce a comprehensive line of software and do a good job of it.

As a member of the online community - these forums are great fun, highly educating, sometimes exasperating, sometimes frustrating but pretty much always thought provoking.

Does Melih shoot himself in the foot occasionally? Sometimes he's an absolute marksman!! :D In saying that, there is (999/1000) a valid reason for these types of responses. I've learnt to strip away the emotion and look rationally at the underlying issues. Once the emotions (from both sides) have been stripped away, it's generally not too hard to see who's right and who's gotten themselves carried away.

Overall - I've made some great friends here, learnt an enormous amount and, hopefully, passed on a little. I hope Comodo remain highly successful and these forums continue to be the kind of community where a topic of this nature is actively encouraged.

Cheers,
Ewen :-)

As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 05:19:33 AM »
I will lead by example! I will fight one on one for end users! I will get my hands dirty for end users! I don't think our end user would appreciate a CEO who didn't lead by example!
No doubt about it. It's good to be with a CEO at forums. I particularly appreciate that.
But, if for any reason at any time, you have a bad day, well, you'll give, like any other mortal man, a bad example and for this reason, a Moderator would do his job, like PR does, like a secretary answering polite your callings :)
Can the Moderators moderate the CEO (if there is a case of needing this)? :)
avast! team member

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 05:23:55 AM »
As a member of the online community - these forums are great fun, highly educating, sometimes exasperating, sometimes frustrating but pretty much always thought provoking.
Feel exactly the same. Otherwise we won't be here :)
avast! team member

Offline Dennis2

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 05:56:36 AM »
No doubt about it. It's good to be with a CEO at forums. I particularly appreciate that.
But, if for any reason at any time, you have a bad day, well, you'll give, like any other mortal man, a bad example and for this reason, a Moderator would do his job, like PR does, like a secretary answering polite your callings :)
Can the Moderators moderate the CEO (if there is a case of needing this)? :)
Sorry it is more the other way the CEO moderates the Moderators.

It is very easy to register for this forum so no one is turn away, they have help which they may need.

This does cause problems Spammers in particular approx 2/5 a day register also trolls/flamers can register and post easily.

We do not delete posts or ban members out of hand even persistent offenders are post banned first before any full bans are applied.

Also numerous other cases which do cause problems moderating, but we are happy to do to make this forum accessible, friendly and helpful.

This is all at the insistence of the CEO, which does cause him to spend far to much time here helping members, and dealing with trolls/flamers.

Dennis
Moderator: Aims Forum a friendly place. Any concerns? Please PM me and/or review the Forum Policy 2012Updated.
System: Centos 7.9 x64, APF, HTTPS Everywhere, ABP, NoScript
 Fedora 33 x64, APF, HTTPS Everywhere, ABP

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 06:30:00 AM »
Sorry it is more the other way the CEO moderates the Moderators.
I know that. I fee that. I understand that. It's not an easy task for you.

This does cause problems Spammers in particular approx 2/5 a day register also trolls/flamers can register and post easily.
I usually use the "report to Moderator" feature to inform about spam. But, really, I see very little here.
avast! team member

Offline SS26

• Comodo's Hero
Re: What do I think about Comodo?
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 08:20:22 AM »
What i think about Bob "case".
It doesn't matter what were real intentions of Bob when he started this, it does matter that he giggled, poured DACS with mud.  But behaving so, sensible individual must be aware of consequences of this behaviour especially on the forum of DACS creator.

Consequences happened  >:-D  -- Bob was turned into jester locked in his own stage (that thread).  Alas thread was closed...
Anyway, is Melih right that Bob poured a mud on DACS by Avast's orders?  I think this is not true simply because damage for DACS because of Bob's giggling would be smallest but damage for Avast would be great if it would be discovered the fact they ordered to small fry to play mean tricks on Comodo.  It is just very hard to believe that management of Avast are complete idiots.

Suspect that Melih cynically made that move, knowing that "Avast orders" cannot be true, anyway move was great .

As for slander on Comodo and spreading of rumours throughout internet like James said.
How about *good* PR.  For example: someone moans DACS is a stolen technology, and this moan spreads.  Instead of stepping into discussion with another "unsatisfied user", a definite document/whitepaper-disproof is issued and being spread on the internet by own channels.  Contents of whitepaper for example: structure of DACS, why DACS can't be "stolen" technology (b'cause p2p-users paid for their licenses, because of p2p-nature of implementation, that does not break eula's of AV vendors) etc.

No offence, thanx for thread, but cannot resist:
starting post is touchiness, glamour oversentimentalism kind of "world is not like i want it to be".  Boring ;)

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 08:52:28 AM »
Well... if I haven't quite yet overstayed my welcome...

This is precisely the false dichotomy I was talking about in my last post.

And Melih, considering that I'm the only person in this thread that's thus far critiqued your "involvement" would you say it's fair for me to assume that I'm one of those people to which you're referring? Because I really don't appreciate that kind of passive dismissal of my opinion.

... particularly when it's not my opinion. I do not expect nor want you, Melih, to be less involved.

Hell, I'm thankful you're as involved as you are.

it was a general statement :) I get it a lot, people saying: you are the CEO you shouldn't be involved...for me, I am the CEO I should be involved :)

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 08:56:11 AM »
I know that. I fee that. I understand that. It's not an easy task for you.
I usually use the "report to Moderator" feature to inform about spam. But, really, I see very little here.

lol....the main issue is the "paid trolls" that needs moderating....:) that is the issue......

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek