Author Topic: What do I think about Comodo?  (Read 108108 times)

Offline BoredNow

• Comodo's Hero
Re: What do I think about Comodo?
« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »
And even it was a live forum, would it be a problem? ;)

I already said ...
"Yeah, I'm sorry Tech, I didn't even notice that 'off topic' had been closed...forget I mentioned it.
It doesn't matter either way."

:a0
Home built gaming rig
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CCAV
Sandboxie 5.6

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2011, 04:32:55 PM »
Of what relevance is Bob's employment to his involvement in this forum? How does the former influence the latter? Does it?

Firstly, these are all questions that can only really be answered by Bob himself. But, having the luxury of being able to review a members total post history is enlightening. ;)

While it is true that Bob has been a member here for a long period of time, it is interesting to see what percentage of his posts are directly related to application functionality (i.e. support and/or assistance with a product) and when those were posted, and how many are purely negative towards other forum members and Comodo in general and when they have been posted.

While I am totally in favour of openness and transparency, I do not feel that it is inappropriate to publicly posts the statistics of any particular members postings. Would be happy to PM them to you directly, Glifford.

Cheers,
Ewen :-)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 04:39:56 PM by panic »
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2011, 08:42:58 AM »
I do not feel that it is inappropriate to publicly posts the statistics of any particular members postings.
Could you elaborate?
Which statistics would be useful to be shown?
Would a ranking of "helpfulness" be a good think (i.e., a way to measure how useful are someone's posts)?
avast! team member
Save freeware snapshot technology of Comodo Time Machine. Vote!

Offline LaserWraith

• pillow fighting fool
  • Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
  • I'm going to go out with a bang
« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2011, 01:02:59 PM »
Be nice if we could "vote" about some reputation.  You know, give them a thumbs up or down on their profile.  Plenty of SMF plugins for that.  Admins probably too lazy or don't have enough time, though. :P

(I don't know why I suggested this...I would be in the negative range :D)

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2011, 01:45:15 PM »
I would be in the negative range :D)
A lot of us would be in the same situation... It's not an easy suggestion, I mean, you can have good guys, old users, Moderators, etc. that just are judged too hard by some people. I have lived a situation like that and the reputation system was just dropped down to avoid the negative side-effects.
avast! team member

Offline LaserWraith

• pillow fighting fool
  • Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
  • I'm going to go out with a bang
« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2011, 02:52:18 PM »
Maybe we could have only positive ratings allowed.  I've seen that too.

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #141 on: January 08, 2011, 03:15:53 PM »
Maybe we could have only positive ratings allowed.  I've seen that too.
Good suggestion :)
avast! team member

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2011, 08:52:01 PM »
Could you elaborate?
Which statistics would be useful to be shown?

The only stats are the ones I nutted out for myself by looking at the total posting history and working out when each was posted and what the (IMHO) intent was of each post. There are no official stats kept on users. I only did this to double check my own feelings on the whole issue, just to make sure I wasn't making judgements with prejudice.

Any user could do the same by checking the post history of the user. I did it to make sure my current line of thinking was correct and not just being flavoured by the posts of others.

Would a ranking of "helpfulness" be a good think (i.e., a way to measure how useful are someone's posts)?

Of course, but it's up to Comodo as to whether they intorduce "karma" or similar judgement options to the forums. If they do, I would like it restricted to positive kudos only, otherwise it will just quickly degenerate into a pi**ing contest.

Cheers,
Ewen :-)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 10:33:55 PM by panic »
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline JamesFrance

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2011, 02:54:14 AM »
Tech you read the post history in question, what is your opinion of the intention of the person, after all you have said that he is your friend.   Does he make similar disparaging comments on other forums aimed at other forum members or does he only behave like that on our forum here?
James

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2011, 02:03:42 PM »
Tech you read the post history in question
Yes.

what is your opinion of the intention of the person, after all you have said that he is your friend.
A big misunderstanding and flaming attitude from both sides. I'm not judging who's fault here.

Does he make similar disparaging comments on other forums aimed at other forum members or does he only behave like that on our forum here?
Not really. He is very collaborative.
He used to recommend Comodo firewall also as it is a freeware.

[at]Ewen: maybe a "positive" karma would be a good thing.
avast! team member

Offline vin50

« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2012, 11:36:23 AM »
Great products many of them are very affordable.
Great forum and websites.
Fantastic support sites and help information.

Obviously a lot of thought and work has been invested into making them user friendly and comprehensive.

As a new member I want to congratulate the Team at Comodo.

Vin50 :azn:

Offline rado84

« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2013, 01:24:50 PM »
1. Comodo is a competitor of avast, AVG and Avira as the three big "A"s sell a product that Comodo releases for free.

2. avast, AVG and Avira aren't competitors of Comodo for the same reason: Comodo already releases a full suite (antivirus, firewall, HIPS, etc.) for free, so the others aren't directly the competition. Ok, they take the mouth-to-mouth and eat the market share... but, not in the same products.
AVG and Avast can't be competitors to Comodo. Avast is a parody of an antivirus and AVG versions from 8.0 till the latest version are pieces of crap. For long years I used AVG 7.5 and for its era it was the best AV software. But then came 8.0 which had (and still has) the very bad habit to load the System process "system.exe" with at least 180 MB RAM. This is the main Windows process which, if loaded that much, slows down performance of the whole system and could even crash it. For comparison this process normally (without AVG) runs at most with 1 MB RAM but usually it's 200-300 KB.
Avast also tends to load the system memory. It doesn't load on the same system process but it still "eats" about 200 MB RAM. Combined with its inabilities to detect real threats I wouldn't call that an antivirus program even if you paid me a million dollars to say that.
All Comodo Firewall processes use 5 MB RAM in total and even when updating this number doesn't change. When Comodo updates - I don't even know that because I don't "detect" any changes in performance while updating. All other programs seriously downgrade computer performance while updating.
However, I can't agree about Avira. Avira Personal + Comodo Firewall is the best possible combination. All you need to know is the order of installation - first Avira, then Comodo. Vice versa could cause minor problems which are fixed by a simple computer restart but since I'm not a fan of restarting I prefer to keep the installation order. Ever since I'm using this combination I haven't seen a single virus and trojans just don't stand a chance versus this combination. Comodo blocks, Avira cleans.
So, to generalize - what is Comodo and what other programs, including Avira, can never be (apparently)? A very light weight program giving very high level of security. This is not an empty praise, this is my personal opinion about Comodo.

And since this is a topic about personal thoughts about Comodo I'm gonna copy paste my post posted a few minutes ago in another topic and hoping that Comodo Team will see it and do something about it.
Quote from: rado84
I'm Comodo user but I don't use CIS because it's too much security and too little user's choice. I had CIS trial installed and it didn't last more than 20 minutes on my PC. It erased all unsigned executables I had installed and all of them were from trusted sources, freewares, that I've used for years and that are known to be clean programs. Like Pazera's converter, for example. Even the program Produkey, which shows you the serial numbers of already installed programs (if you have entered a numer during installation). Produkey is not a serial number stealing program, it just shows you what's already there, if for example you've lost or damaged your CD and can't remember the key. It's a freeware program I've used for a few years already and CIS's first task after updating was to erase Pazera's exe along with 15 other executables, Produkey's included. I'm surprised it didn't remove Total Commander's exe as well.
CF at least gives me a chance to decide what I wanna do. CIS doesn't. None of the erased executables was detected as a threat by any of the previous AV softwares I've had on my computer in the last 5 years.

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2013, 10:28:28 PM »
Avast is a parody of an antivirus
You've quoted me but, with this approach, I think the dialogue won't get a constructive way.
avast! team member

Offline Citizen K

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2013, 03:09:29 PM »
And since this is a topic about personal thoughts about Comodo I'm gonna copy paste my post posted a few minutes ago in another topic and hoping that Comodo Team will see it and do something about it.
Please don't cross post of hijack a topic. If you have a wish like f.e. change of default settings of the av of CIS please do so in the Wishlist - CIS sub forum.

Offline kst357

« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2014, 04:49:07 PM »
I'm a past user of AVG, Avast, & Bitdefender, and switched to Comodo a year ago. I dropped AVG and Avast because they were way too aggressive with nag notices popping up to warn me that my subscription was expiring soon. I don't mind a weekly reminder but not several times a day. AVG was the worse because they gave my email addresses to resellers who seemed to be competing for my renewal. I dropped Bitdefender simply because there was no method to exclude or mark files that gave false positives.

I've been happy with Comodo with the exception of a couple of things. One is that the Auto-Sandboxing is extremely annoying in that it blocks almost every danged program I've tried to install, often resulting with the program failing to install and my having to temporarily disable the Sandbox and try again. The second issue was that I was doing a system scan once and sent it to the background, only to find that i couldn't bring it to the foreground again. If there is a method to do so there wasn't an icon or button that I could find and the help file said nothing about how to bring an active scan back to the foreground.

What prompted me to register and post is that a few days ago I needed to upgrade my Windows 7 32-bit to Win 7 x64 and had to reinstall Comodo. Today I received a dreaded pop-up notification about an additional product with an included discount coupon. I want to warn your corporate decision makers to tread lightly in using intrusive marketing techniques to promote products via the Comodo interface. This is why I left AVG & Avast as when I pay for a product I do not like being interrupted with nag notices every few hours to renew a subscription or purchase additional products. My thinking is that if a product is good it will sell itself.

Hopefully the advertisement that popped up a few minutes ago will not be repeated. If it does or other sales offers start popping up then I'll have to start looking for another AV product once again. Every major AV product typically does what they're intended to do. It's how the companies treat their customers after the purchase that determines my loyalty to the product or company. So I only present this as a general warning to avoid the temptation to become too aggressive with marketing through the products user interface.
That's all.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek