Linux (Ubuntu)

I have had it with Windows. The Windows Live push and the destruction of Outlook Express (their best email client ever) has me completely finished with the @!#$%$#@.

Today I am going to temporarily install Linux Ubuntu with the Wubi installer to get a temporary look. I will be using WINE to run World of Warcraft. I have been researching email clients (Thunderbird is as bad as the Window’s Clients). I have a website and use my own smtp server. Nothing seems to want to let me send through one smtp server with differing email names as the return address. Most won’t allow sending and receiving as sepearate processes anymore. But i digress …

I need Comodo to run in Linux. I came to Comodo after I couldn’t get Zone Alarm to run on my x64 bit machine. I was terribly loyal to Zone Labs and bought all their products over the years. I only switched to Comodo, because they were there with the x64 solution and gave me a free copy to evaluate. I now support Comodo and want to keep their products on my machine.

Zone Labs lost a loyal customer because they didn’t provide for a x64 OS. I am moving to Linux, as most every knowledgeable user will be soon enough. The people that make a decent system like CIS for Linux will develop a great deal of loyalty to the company that supports their needs.

Comodo’s only hope of gaining new customers is by being the niche-filler. Your products are not finding their way to the machines of the “Borg”, they are full of Norton and McAfee, or whatever the powers to be wish to place on the machines they buy. Your users are more literate in computers than the average user. Your customer base will then slowly be moving to Linux over time and your products will loose the market niche it currently holds. If I am finished with Windows (lazy old man that has been programming for 40 years), you can be assured that the young and bright will be soon if not already.

When I finish my move to Linux in a few months, I will be looking for a new internet security program, and the company that fills my needs will gain my loyalty, support, and money.

You are running out of time. Look at all the software that includes Linux. It may already be too late?

Very few people will move to Linux. It will never become a real player in the field of home computing. I agree with you somewhat about Outlook Express though. I use it and have never found anything I liked better. However, I tried Windows mail for XP and it was as far as I could see, the same in operation and functionality but with a slicker interface. I deleted it not because I didn’t like it, but because I didn’t need 2 programs that did the same thing essentially the same way plus the fact that Outlook Express does not require the Windows Live framework. I am not upset about OE being replaced though. Windows Mail is very nice.

Is very pleasant and stress-free enjoy the Pc and Internet without being worried about viruses, and Ubuntu is very easy to install and have everything you need to work from the first moment. And Netfilter is very safe.
Take me more time to learn to use Cis. :wink:

Now that I have learned how to turn off the automatic receive on Thunderbird, I find that it has all the operability and functions I need. I am surprised that it doesn’t have a send later function, or the ability to have a default group of accounts that are received on one click. Perhaps that will give me something to do for myself … write an addon that gives it the Send/Receive functionality of Outlook Express.

I am going to start with a Wubi installation to check out Linux. If I have a problem with codecs, I’ll keep Mint 6 in mind. With Wubi and WINE, I have no doubt that Linux will become a major player with the folks that use Comodo. It fits the personality profile of the Comodo users. With Wubi and WINE, you should be able to boot up on Linux, and still run any programs you still need from Windows. I think most Comodo users will eventually have this configuration on their machines and slowly migrate to Linux. It will spur the move to an open code Operating System and we should see Linux becoming a bigger player in the OS market when it involves drivers and commercial programs. Being compatible with Linux will be that one additional selling point that will make the difference in selling software that competes with the “packageware” included in computer systems. Programs are so expensive anymore that almost everyone uses the “packageware”. Without the hold, that Windows has on the market, we should see top quality software available at low costs. And since the Linux users tend to be more computer literate, most attacks will be used against the easier marks.

I am pretty excited about this. Of course, I’ll have to finish raiding on WoW tonight before I make the plunge. Murphy’s Law requires I do everything important before I do that which will lead to “unforeseen” circumstances.

hehe

I’ll post here on the outcome.

If you would like further information on Wubi and WINE:

http://wubi-installer.org/

For a WoW raider like myself, it is nice to see this page:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=16459

I don’t think you need a Firewall for Ubuntu…
http://www.linuxjournal.com/video/mastering-iptables-part-i

I too am a WoW raider on the Draka-US realm but, I will never use Linux and I stand by my statement that it will never be a major player in the world of personal computers.

I think the answer to the question ‘does Linux need a firewall’? is simply, it depends. Linux is inherently more secure than Windows ‘out of the box’ and comes with iptables as part of the default configuration. Firestarter/Netfilter are simply front ends to iptables, essentially making it easier to set-up your rules.

Do we need one? If you want to make sure you have covered all the security bases, then yes. Also, if you use p2p or wish to have some control over ICMP then also yes. Finally, if you’re running a server, then you most assuredly will want one.

The same can also be said of AV and AS. The short answer is no we don’t need them. Don’t forget, because of the way permissions work under Linux, virtually everything we do under Linux is as a limited user. Executing a file typically needs either root or sudo permissions, perhaps with the exception of the home folder. So for the most part, unless a malicious script aka a virus or some malware can gain those necessary privileges, they won’t get very far.

As more and more games become playable on Linux, people who are fed up of paying hundreds of pounds/dollars/yen, what ever, primarily for an OS so they can play those games, will see a powerful, user friendly, FREE OS, like Linux as extremely attractive. After all, it can do everything Windows can do now, except play games as well.

Powerful?–probably but so is Windows
Free?–obviously but most people get their OS with the purchase of the machine so the OS is perceived as being free even if in reality it isn’t
User-friendly?-- Even many of it’s most ardent supporters say that it is not.

Let’s talk about x64 support for a moment…it is not huge yet. I still think that 64 bit needs a lot of work. The way applications are developed for 64 bit proves that many developers are not ready to support 64 bit yet. It takes time just to master 32 bit and, with that in mind, 64 bit can wait. After all, the main reason 64 bit support is low, is because the infection ratio is so low.

The most risk for infection currently is Windows XP (without service packs/RTM).
Here is the infection ratio chart I compiled per research:

Windows XP (RTM): 35%
XP SP1: 25%
XP SP2: 15%
XP SP3: 7%
Windows 2000 SP4: 7%
Windows Vista (RTM): 5%
Vista SP1: 3%
XP SP2 (64 bit): 3%
Vista SP1 (64 bit): 1%
Vista SP2: 1%
Windows Server 2008: 2%

Source: http://www.helpmyos.com/learn-security-f40/windows-infection-ratios-t699.htm

(Where does Linux sit in this table? 0.0024%)

Windows isn’t even close, seriously. ;D

User-friendly?-- Even many of it's most ardent supporters say that it is not.

Linux Mint & Ubuntu are 2 of the easiest distros to install.

I’ll lend my support for Comodo products in the Linux environment. I have used Ubuntu and Mandriva but the
‘flavor’ of Linux I like the most is PuppyLinux by Barry Kauler.
I’d LOVE to see Comodo Dragon, Firewall and Anti-virus/malware products ported to Linux!
Y’all can work to port the other fine Comodo products later!
Thanks Team Comodo!!!

Oh, y’all need to sponsor a Nascar race team! That’ll get your name out there!!! (Especially Ford Racing!)
Thanks again!

This is the best move you’ll ever make. Once I switched to Ubuntu it took me forever to want to start using Windows again. It comes with IPTables, but you can use a frontend such as FireStarter to configure the firewall. By default unless you will be running your own web server the ports are closed on Ubuntu, making it pretty secure. You can ofc do further hardening, no password (SSH private key) logins, run ClamAV regularly (for your Windows friends), and keep the system patched. The worst thing they can do to your linux box is deface your port 80 or use your misconfigured SMTP to send spam. There’s also rootkits, but generally speaking unless your running as sudo (root) all the time you aren’t going to be able to infect yourself too easily.

On the other hand, it would be nice to see Comodo make some linux products. They should also be GPL, which is only fair. And as you can see with Joomla, you can still sell GPL software. ;D

Ok, i dont want to make reclame or something, but for linux have a very powerfull firewall.
Iptables, but it is hard for work, there is no GUI version and it works with command line…
It is very usefull for the linux users, and very hard for for them.