Author Topic: Remove PrivDog: To uninstall the adware  (Read 15963 times)

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
Re: Remove PrivDog: To uninstall the adware
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 06:07:11 PM »
Privdog is adware. It provides ads.
I dont have ads without privdog, if i dont want to have ads.

About what are you laughing so hard?

Pls count the no of ads you are receiving with and without privdog.
with privdog you are guaranteed to receive less ads as we don`t replace all the ads!

So, factually speaking you get less ads with privdog than not having it...

Offline clockwork

• Comodo's Hero
  • Oxygen requires Chuck Norris to live
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 08:07:41 PM »
There are several levels to get rid of unwanted ads.
--
But if you read the text in the magazine it says:
Die nervige Adware PrivDog entfernen Sie nur mit einer ganzen Reihe von Tricks - auf herkömmlichem Wege lässt sich die Toolbar nicht loswerden.
The "going on the nerves" adware privdog can be removed only with a sample of tricks- on an usual way you cant get rid of that toolbar.

Its something that i would not want to have installed.
There is no irony with it.

"If there is a problem, it`s something interesting. Try to circumvent or fix it.
In the old ages there has been no support. That`s why we got the brain we have today.
Otherwise we would only be able to call a number and listen.
But there wasnt a phone...."

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 08:49:19 PM »
There are several levels to get rid of unwanted ads.
--
But if you read the text in the magazine it says:
Die nervige Adware PrivDog entfernen Sie nur mit einer ganzen Reihe von Tricks - auf herkömmlichem Wege lässt sich die Toolbar nicht loswerden.
The "going on the nerves" adware privdog can be removed only with a sample of tricks- on an usual way you cant get rid of that toolbar.

Its something that i would not want to have installed.
There is no irony with it.

Irony is calling it "adware" ...while it reduces ads....

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 09:35:17 PM »
The article never states there are components still active. It only deals with inactive left overs (if active components would have been there you might have a problem erasing certain data as it may be held by the active process and would require to stop those processes). For me that is a misdemeanor and not a crime. It can be annoying but it is not uncommon in the world of software.

I just uninstalled PD using the uninstaller to uninstall just the IE part (as the article speaks about getting rid off the toolbar). After that the button and the add on are no longer in I.E.. I am on Windows 8.1 x64.

The article is a making a mountain out of a molehill.

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 09:57:41 PM »
....Personally i find the installer of comodo as one of the "sneakiest" by design to let you run it without getting to customize it.
Hi clockwork,
I am assuming in the above quote we are talking about PrivDog bundled with the CIS installer.
PrivDog is not obscurely placed in the customize section of the installer, the options for PrivDog are in plain view during installation. (Screenshot)

Kind regards.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline clockwork

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 11:38:14 PM »
I am assuming in the above quote we are talking about PrivDog bundled with the CIS installer.
PrivDog is not obscurely placed in the customize section of the installer, the options for PrivDog are in plain view during installation.
No, it was about the custom installation button on the bottom left in that window. A side note.

Irony is calling it "adware" ...while it reduces ads....
If privdog wasnt adware, it wouldnt display ads. Not to speak about the fact that the shown ads are probably even not the ones initially present on that site.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:47:14 PM by clockwork »
"If there is a problem, it`s something interesting. Try to circumvent or fix it.
In the old ages there has been no support. That`s why we got the brain we have today.

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 01:15:12 AM »
No, it was about the custom installation button on the bottom left in that window. A side note.
OK, well in that case we are way  !ot! with no relevance to PrivDog.

If privdog wasnt adware, it wouldnt display ads. Not to speak about the fact that the shown ads are probably even not the ones initially present on that site.
PD doesn't display advertisements just from starting the program as with most Adware type programs.
PD doesn't have ads integrated or bundled into the program as with most Adware type programs.
PD is not displaying ads, the visited site is delivering ads distributed by AdtrustMedia to your web browser when PD is active with its default settings.

Without an adblock of some kind our web browsers will display ads when visiting numerous sites, so does that make our web browsers Adware? No.
Without PrivDog or an adblock program, your browser can display ads from any ad distributing agency.
Is PD adware? IMHO no.

Any mention of ads and some people instantly think of Adware and then comes along the thought that they must be bad.
Adware has falsely been accused of being synonymous with Spyware/Malware and this stigma seems to have stuck.

Kind regards.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 03:26:49 AM by captainsticks »

Offline w33d3r

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 05:43:02 AM »

Just reading that sentence makes me wonder if you had a read of PrivDogs objectives .. before you installed it ?

Then you would know what PrivDog does beforehand

Have a read of the 3 stickies starting with :
https://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-privdog/an-overview-to-privdog-view1-t96008.0.html

PrivDog has following features:
1.   It blocks all 3rd party tracking related calls

2.   It blocks all social widgets which are not necessary and simply end up in slow page loading and you getting tracked without any apparent benefits.

3.   It blocks all 3rd party analytics related calls.

4.   It ensures that 3rd party ads on a given page are blocked and trusted ads are served from a system where ads are thoroughly validated and are malware free before they are delivered to end users. Validating ads for security and compliance ensures that malvertising can be stopped; it also ensures that exploits do not become vehicle for malvertising.

With PrivDog, Internet gets a win-win solution, where publisher, advertiser and users all are happy and eco-system is maintained, which otherwise can be destroyed due to use of AdBlocker.

Its like Ghostery, but does a lot more than Ghostery, and the difference is it lets clean advertisements through

If you want to block ads completely use a very severe hosts file. ( I was going to say use adblock but I think the creator now allows ads from companies that pay him to let them through :) )

The best objective of PrivDog is stopping Malware which come via ads, because they get cleaned / replaced by adtrustmedia ads

Any mention of ads and some people instantly think of Adware and then comes along the thought that they must be bad.
Adware has falsely been accused of being synonymous with Spyware/Malware and this stigma seems to have stuck.
To be fair that is understandable.

For a long time ads have been associated with malware because quite often malware can use the same tricks advertisers use to slip under peoples radars and target users. Or just take advantage of piggy backing an insecure advertising method to deliver a payload which the advertisers are completely unaware of being exploited.
Advertisers and market research just regard people as cattle to be farmed digitally, anything goes in their dog-eat-dog world.

If that was not the case .. We would not need PrivDog defending against malvertisements.

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 07:51:59 AM »
....To be fair that is understandable.

For a long time ads have been associated with malware because quite often malware can use the same tricks advertisers use to slip under peoples radars and target users. Or just take advantage of piggy backing an insecure advertising method to deliver a payload which the advertisers are completely unaware of being exploited.
Advertisers and market research just regard people as cattle to be farmed digitally, anything goes in their dog-eat-dog world.

If that was not the case .. We would not need PrivDog defending against malvertisements.
Hi w33d3r,
You have all good valid points, thank you. :-TU
All I was trying to say is not to think of advertising in a stereotypical way that it is all bad in a security sense.
Yes some advertising can potentially carry risks, but some advertising can also be beneficial to all parties.
PrivDog does help lower the risks involved with 3rd party advertising.

Thank you.

Offline clockwork

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 09:59:37 AM »
As usually, it might be a good thing for a specific person with a specific understanding in a specific situation.

But i really wonder why a trusted old school computer magazine calls it "annoying adware", and gives tips to remove it.

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 10:46:49 AM »
As usually, it might be a good thing for a specific person with a specific understanding in a specific situation.

But i really wonder why a trusted old school computer magazine calls it "annoying adware", and gives tips to remove it.
Then you're asking in the wrong place. I suggest you ask them. Our answers are in that respect nothing but speculation or conjecture.

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 11:24:35 AM »

I suspect because they don't understand it.

Offline ad18

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 10:27:44 PM »
Melih, is PrivDog like Ghostery and AdBlock combined? I really should give PrivDog a try.  :-La

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 10:43:32 PM »
Melih, is PrivDog like Ghostery and AdBlock combined? I really should give PrivDog a try.  :-La

Yes...plus more features...

Offline gbswales

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 06:18:52 PM »
Those people saying they don't get any ads - first I don't really believe you but second you must be using a strong ad blocker tool by doing this you are in the long term jeopardising "free internet content"- services like facebook, youtube even google search depend on serving advertisements for their main source of income.  I think what priv dog attempts to do is provide safer advertising rather than trying to block it altogether (which is in nobody's interest really)

I agree with some others that I would be happier with a product owned by Comodo giving them the freedom to monitor which advertising company they partner with - Trusted Ads may be fine today but if they changed tack then owning priv dog means that you could quickly partner with someone else which would keep Trusted Ads on their toes.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek