PrivDog for Internet Explorer Beta Testing

Hi All,

Today we’re making available a Beta Testing version of PrivDog for Internet Explorer.

This version is a beta version and may contain defects and/or features that are subject to change following the beta testing period and should therefore not be used on production systems.

The beta version for Internet Explorer can be downloaded from the following URL:

http://www.privdog.com/beta/PrivDogSetup_1.5.0.23_IE_Beta_Test_Version.exe

Note for IE 10 users, you may need to activate the plug-in after installation via the IE message bar at the bottom when IE is first run. Open a new tab and all should work fine.

Note for Windows 8 users: PrivDog for IE on Winodws 8 works for IE in desktop mode and doesn’t work for IE in Metro full screen mode.

This IE version does not have a threat counter added to the toolbar icon that Chrome and FF have, we’re working to find a solution for this.

Please post all your feedback comments so we can improve the product and give you a better IE experience.

Shane.

Hi Shane,

Thanks for telling us about what to do with I.E. 10.

Well here is my Report.

Privdog Installs OK

Privdog ran right away when I opened up I.E. on the Command Bar.

I pressed onto Privdog 4 times and it would not open, so I shut down I.E. 10 and reopened it.

Then a pop-up shown on the bottom of I.E. 10 saying Disable an Add-on to speed up Internet Explorer.

Then I pressed it and it showed Adtrustmedia, LLC 1.49 load time.

So I changed it to 0.00 and pressed done and all is OK for me. (What I mean change to 0.00 you can make it shorter or longer time so that I.E. does not slow down with Add-Ons running.)

Then I closed the Page then reopened it and went over to Privdog and the interface loaded OK.

It then said 0 Threats blocked since browser started so I pressed the Cog wheel to open up and it showed everything like it does on Comodo Dragon.

Then I pressed Block all Ad Networks and closed I.E.10. I then Re Opened I.E and went to Privdog and Cog wheel, and Block all Ad Networks defaulted back to Recommend settings, while I watch it happen. I copied the Address and it was: res://trustedads.dll/212. So it was quite strange the way it moved while I watched it Move.

Current Stats of Privdog >

Total threats: 2289
Total Detecting: 2289

Under Manage Add-ons it shows Load time 0.03 sec and Navigation. 0.76 sec. But that keeps changed. (As in it goes higher then lower each time I open up I.E. 10 and look at Manage Add-Ons)

So apart from those Bugs and info I found nothing else.

Privdog Version is: 1.5.0.23 for Internet Explorer

My Version of Internet Explorer is: 10

I’m running Windows 7 Home Premium 32Bit.

I hope this helps

Regards

Nigel

Edit: I added Extra info and cleaned up my post

Hi Nigel,

Are you running Win7 or Win8 and x32 or x64?

Shane.

Sorry I left that out I’m running Windows 7 Home Premium 32Bit. (I updated my main post)

I realize it’s a first beta but it is unacceptable to me for four reasons. First, it greatly slows browsing in both Win7 64 and even more in Win8 32. Secondly, the main page for World of Warcraft World of Warcraft won’t even load and just displays a blank white screen. Third, the browser also crashes intermittently.

I’d like to know how you can change the load time of addons as well. I only see options to disable ones taking too long. PrivDog reported 1.97 seconds in Win 8 32 bit. Not acceptable at all.

The fourth reason is one that I realize is a limitation of the browser itself. The PrivDog icon only shows in the Command bar which I do not want showing. I have no toolbars of any kind displayed and want to keep it that way. I would like to see, (if it is possible), another way to access the PrivDog statistics and settings. An icon in the system tray would be perfect. I’m afraid that if no other alternative is possible than to have the bar showing, then I will not be using the product.

I have returned to using my tracking list for now because the slow loading or no loading at all is just unacceptable. I’m disappointed but as I said, I realize it’s the first beta.

Thanks certainly.
PrivDog at all doesn’t work.
Time of loading of addition 1.75.
As there are no settings.
When pressing settings in PrivDog (you look a screenshot).
I’ll be waiting. PD removed.
Thanks.
Win 7 x32 bit SP1. IE 10.

The PrivDog icon only shows in the Command bar which I do not want showing. I have no toolbars of any kind displayed and want to keep it that way. I would like to see, (if it is possible), another way to access the PrivDog statistics and settings.
I too.
An icon in the system tray would be perfect.
No. Not need for me. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi Jenny66,

For me I still have Privdog installed for I.E.

And I’m puzzled on how you get:

Total threats: 0
Total Detecting: 0

On both. seen in your screenshot

But for me I see it on how it was> Total threats: 2289 Total Detecting: 2289

The Load time is still high like yours .

But I get the same I as I reported on my First post of Privdog on how I set Block all Ad Networks and close page and re open it Reverts back to Recommended Settings as In Default.

But I will leave it for now until I hear more news on what to try next etc.

Regards

Nigel

Nigel.
Thanks.
Well, I’ve got it does not work.
I deleted it. It makes no sense.( PrivDog)
When to disconnect the subscription tracking, the speed of loading a PrivDog is reduced.
Let’s wait for other news.

Yes I do agree with you Jenny :slight_smile: Lets wait :slight_smile:

Privdog running, file download on IE does not normally operate. sometimes IE become freezing. (windows8, IE10) >:-D

tested site : http://tvpot.daum.net/application/PotPlayer.do

tested site : http://www.nirsoft.net/

Hi All,

Thank you for all your feedback.

I’ve passed it to the developers.

Jenny66, your issues seems very odd, maybe some access rights issue. Do you have admin access? i’ll consult more with the devs on this one.

We think the slow load time reported by IE is the config download. The devs main goal now is to improve this by shipping with default configs and an in the background config update system.

Load time isn’t the whole picture in terms of total page load times. IE doesn’t report the total page load time but in our testing PrivDog can increase the total page load by up to 180% for some sites which can be as much as 4 or 5 seconds depending on site and ad network.

Load times of 1.7 seems there’s some other issue.

Nigel:

Under Manage Add-ons it shows Load time 0.03 sec and Navigation. 0.76 sec. But that keeps changed. (As in it goes higher then lower each time I open up I.E. 10 and look at Manage Add-Ons)

This feedback is extremely helpful. if everyone can report back load times and navigation times this will really help us improve your experience. Again, network load could be a reason this changes so much. Constantly launching and restarting IE will probably give different times than using IE for a long period and then checking times.

Please continue to give testing results of this beta version. Please do remember this is a beta and your feedback is very important so we can improve on all the areas you report so on production release everyone will have a superb plug-in that will improve everyone’s privacy and total page load times. In the future we’re going to add a report card that can show how much time on average can be saved for a particular site to show the real picture.

Shane.

I think you may have to separate the IE version from the others and have a dedicated installer for it. It would be nice if it could work like a tracking protection list rather than a full plugin. It also would be better if it did not require showing the Command Bar. Again I don’t know if these things would be possible. The separate installer certainly should be.

Jenny66, your issues seems very odd, maybe some access rights issue. Do you have admin access?
Of course. :) Full access. I'll check again today. Thanks. [b]Shane.[/b] I checked 2 times. PrivDog even ran as administrator. [b]Does not work.[/b] Check out the screenshots. Maybe - it will help. P.S. Screenshot - 082104 - button does not work. Screnshot - 083116 - Not available. Untrusted - since PD beta. ( I know) The delay time, I have never seen. I do not know how to even start (PD).

Your Quite Welcome Shane,

I will keep on Hammering Privdog using I.E. 10 and will report Load times.

I’ll try it again when there’s a new beta build.

• I too.

Here is my Latest Snapshots. Taken with I.E. 10

The First Screenshots Captured on just pressing Internet Explorer Icon. That shows.

And the Second Screenshot is the Load time and Navigation time of just loading my homepage of duckduckgo that Page hardly has anything on it to load.

Pictures enclosed.

Regards

Nigel

I wasn’t even running Internet Explorer 10, and this load time shows and navigation.

I was just looking at Manage Add-Ones within Internet Options under Control Panel.

Shot enclosed.

I’m not doing anymore testing until the next Beta Version is out for I.E.

Thanks for all your excellent feedback everyone.

I’ll be releasing a new improved beta soon.