Author Topic: IceDragon end of life?  (Read 8103 times)

Offline Richard66

IceDragon end of life?
« on: June 05, 2020, 04:23:53 PM »
I sure wish Comodo would continue to support and develop IceDragon, and keep it somewhat current with Firefox. FF is up to v77, IceDragon is stuck at v65. At least one banking/credit card site I use (chase.com) won't let me log in with CID 65 because it is too old. Isn't secure enough, so they say.

I know FF itself has dwindling market share. It's still a great browser though, which means CID would remain a great browser if it could be kept up-to-date.

Richard
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 04:25:35 PM by Richard66 »

Offline CommodoUser2019

• Comodo's Hero
Re: IceDragon end of life?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 01:49:31 AM »
I agree. Unfortunately, it appears that Comodo has it's own austerity program and has had to make hard decisions on what to keep and what to cut. They are trying to funnel people through a paid web portal for some of their products now, and hopefully revenue will be up enough to properly support their products and bring back Ice Dragon, which IMO, is a phenomenal idea of a product. FF, arguably the best browser, along with extra privacy and security from Comodo.

Offline WonderNotEnvy

Is it still worth investigating the Betas?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 07:46:36 AM »
    It gets worse....Firefox is now at version 85.  :(

What sort of issues are we risking by still using it?

(I was about to get excited when
I noticed a thread for a Beta....then I noticed the date posted: more than a year old...)

I sure wish Comodo would continue to support and develop IceDragon, and keep it somewhat current with Firefox. FF is up to v77, IceDragon is stuck at v65. At least one banking/credit card site I use (chase.com) won't let me log in with CID 65 because it is too old. Isn't secure enough, so they say.

I know FF itself has dwindling market share. It's still a great browser though, which means CID would remain a great browser if it could be kept up-to-date.

Richard

Wow...so that's it? RIP IceDragon...

I'm not sure what to think about Comodo still providing a download link to the product if it is out of date.

What browsers have you switched to?

So far there are the options in the market:
  • Firefox
  • Brave
  • Opera
  • Opera GX
  • Vivaldi

If IceDragon is out of date ---- then does that mean that Dragon (based on Chromium) is also a security risk?

I agree. Unfortunately, it appears that Comodo has it's own austerity program and has had to make hard decisions on what to keep and what to cut. They are trying to funnel people through a paid web portal for some of their products now, and hopefully revenue will be up enough to properly support their products and bring back Ice Dragon, which IMO, is a phenomenal idea of a product. FF, arguably the best browser, along with extra privacy and security from Comodo.

[/list]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 07:54:55 AM by WonderNotEnvy »
Still waiting for news about IceDragon updates

(Think of it...Firefox is now at 85...while IceDragon is lagging at 65.0.2.15)

Offline liosant

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • GOD cure me epilepsy and atrophy - Sou brasileiro!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 01:57:37 PM »
comodo icedragon 65.xxx is incompatible with some sites :-\
Updates is one mode to do Marketing, promote products and companies, Updates gives confidence to users;
Updates gives security to users...
Businessmen take care of companies, COMODO protects data from businessmen companies

Offline Citizen K

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 07:28:28 PM »
Hello, even if i do not answer at each post i want you to know that i'm reading all of them. At the moment i have little to no information about IceDragon's future , i will inform you when a decision has bean made whatever it will be , 2020 has been a tough year for our development team and we are trying to do our best.

Offline Eugene 66

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 03:12:45 AM »
 :THNK

Offline CharlieHorse

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 08:52:18 AM »
Comodo, Just put a fork in it already.  It's done.

I find it very irresponsible to have the download link up and active and praising the qualities of IceDragon when it hasn't been touched in a very long time.  And this from a firm that makes security products. I suppose they have forgotten about that too. Obviously a project of little importance now and no money maker but this behavior still reflects back on Comodo.  I mean how long does it take to say they are officially killing it.  Only the independent minds search for something other than Google Chrome. And not that many of those left it would seem.

WonderNotEnvy, As far as other browsers, not much real choice. Waterfox was bought out so now just another like the rest and could care less about listening to their users.  SlimBrowser still rolls on but updates are pretty slow. Their forum is a joke, I guess they forgot about it.  Real professional of them. LibreWolf for Windows is a possibility but still very new. I use Firefox Developer edition now. But wish there were better more independent alternatives.  RIP IceDragon.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 08:53:58 AM by CharlieHorse »

Offline CommodoUser2019

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 05:40:30 PM »
Try BRAVE. It's run by the same guy who started Firefox and later got sent packing.

Offline CISfan

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 09:57:01 AM »
But sadly Brave isn't Firefox based and it can't use Firefox extensions.

Offline HC

• Comodo Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 02:51:43 PM »
You could use those settings to increase privacy and enhanced security in Firefox.
https://github.com/arkenfox/user.js

Offline CommodoUser2019

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 06:03:58 PM »
But sadly Brave isn't Firefox based and it can't use Firefox extensions.
This is true. I suppose it depends on your needs. I mainly want to avoid adds, trackers and fingerprinting. I think Brave does as well or better than FF for my needs. Mozilla annoyed me first when they took away about:config for Android FF. They said it was still available in the FF Nightly builds, but for some reason when I tested fingerprinting at https://coveryourtracks.eff.org/, the site said I wasn't really anonymous, while Brave was. FF also seems to be slower. I'd give it a test, maybe you don't need the extensions. Also Brave can use Chrome extensions.

Offline JoWa

• Humanist
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • I believe in doubt.
    • Evolutionary history of life
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 10:51:26 PM »
WonderNotEnvy, As far as other browsers, not much real choice. Waterfox was bought out so now just another like the rest and could care less about listening to their users.  SlimBrowser still rolls on but updates are pretty slow. Their forum is a joke, I guess they forgot about it.  Real professional of them. LibreWolf for Windows is a possibility but still very new. I use Firefox Developer edition now. But wish there were better more independent alternatives.  RIP IceDragon.
There is also Ghostery Dawn.
https://www.ghostery.com/products/ghostery-dawn/
https://github.com/ghostery/user-agent-desktop
Ubuntu | Firefox | HTTPS Only Mode | Privacy Badger
Forum Policy | Comodo Product Help

Offline CISfan

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 06:36:55 AM »
You could use those settings to increase privacy and enhanced security in Firefox.
https://github.com/arkenfox/user.js

Does it work to protect Firefox against Fingerprinting?
If so, how to set up user.js to do that?

Offline CISfan

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 06:50:46 AM »
This is true. I suppose it depends on your needs. I mainly want to avoid adds, trackers and fingerprinting. I think Brave does as well or better than FF for my needs. Mozilla annoyed me first when they took away about:config for Android FF. They said it was still available in the FF Nightly builds, but for some reason when I tested fingerprinting at https://coveryourtracks.eff.org/, the site said I wasn't really anonymous, while Brave was. FF also seems to be slower. I'd give it a test, maybe you don't need the extensions. Also Brave can use Chrome extensions.

Same for me, avoiding adds, trackers and firngerprinting but the latter fails unfortunately in all Firefox versions that I've tried no matter what options/settings I enable/disable in Firefox (maybe I haven't found the right switch yet).
If I could have fingerprinting protection in Firefox that would be great (but how?).
I also use other extensions in Firefox so switching to Brave is no option for me.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek