Author Topic: EasyVPN vs. Hamachi - Let's compare!  (Read 105925 times)

Offline Roger Huston

Re: EasyVPN vs. Hamachi - Let's compare!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 12:32:38 PM »
I use Hamachi to link two networks together automatically.  I would need EasyVPN to be able to run on a server unattended as a service and have users be able to automatically log into it via their desktop or laptop.

As far as I can see, there is no way to do that so EasyVPN is more of a Chat Application with some added features, than a VPN application with Chat.

- Roger

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 06:12:59 PM »
Unattended logins are being investigated, but the security aspects of allowing this will need to take priority over convenience.

Cheers,
Ewen :-)
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline WhiteTiger

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
Hello,

there is something i miss in EasyVPN. Currently i need to use Hamachi but an older Version like 1.0.1.5 this is because newer Hamachi doesn't`t support broadcasting so its impossible to play a game like Warcraft III over VPN
EasyVPN doesn't support broadcasting to. So it will be great if it can be included in future versions.
I don't know if it normally supports broadcasting but if sniffed the Socket with Wireshark and WC III was sending broadcasts but no Client respond to that. So i think EasyVPN doesn't support it and so it doesn't transmit it.

I'll hope you understand me because my English isn't really nice :P

- regards White

btw. anyone knows why newer Hamachi doesn't support broadcasting anymore like an older version like 1.0.1.5?

Offline jp10558

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »
Well, I've pretty much stopped using Hamachi with the licensing change, but I think what I would want to consider using a VPN solution would be support for Windows, Linux and MacOS X. This is why I'm currently using OpenVPN even though it's a bunch harder to get working, a VPN is no good if I can't connect to the people I want to who use other OSs.

Offline cracksloth

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 10:25:26 AM »
The biggest hangups for me are a need for file sharing (download with resume from a tree of shared folders) and support for other operating systems (namely macs).

Offline szametu

• Comodo's Hero
    • All what you need to know about VPN based software
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 02:23:01 PM »
The biggest hangups for me are a need for file sharing (download with resume from a tree of shared folders) and support for other operating systems (namely macs).

what u can do, it's a simply try to set up a ftp server over comodo. try to use cerberus ftp .. it's all works with hamachi, so i think u can try it with comodo as well

Offline timriley

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 06:15:45 PM »
The biggest advantage Hamachi has over EasyVPN (to me) is that if a computer's internet connection or connection to Hamachi drops momentarily, then Hamachi will automatically re-login and connect once the internet connection is reestablished.  With EasyVPN, if the connection is lost, one is disconnected from EasyVPN and one has to manually click the button to reconnect and relogin to EasyVPN.  This is particularly a pain when trying to use EasyVPN on multiple computers in multiple locations on ones own network - when their connection to easyVPN is lost, I have to manually login to that computer with a different program (like LogmeIn or PcAnywhere) and manually 'reconnect' the client computer to EasyVPN.

One other suggestion that EasyVPN lacks (compared to Hamachi) is being able to 'right-click' on a computer in one's networklist in easyVPN and having the selectable option to 'Browse files'.  In Hamachi, this opens up a file explorer window and the remote network's shared files/folders are displayed.  I've gotten around this by network mapping the remote folders/drives using their easyvpn-provided ip numbers into windows explorer, but it's a bit of a pain...

Offline MetalShaun

• Comodo's Hero
    • Mw Computers
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 09:49:12 AM »
One other suggestion that EasyVPN lacks (compared to Hamachi) is being able to 'right-click' on a computer in one's networklist in easyVPN and having the selectable option to 'Browse files'.  In Hamachi, this opens up a file explorer window and the remote network's shared files/folders are displayed. 

+1  :-TU

Offline GezusK

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 02:01:36 AM »
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but is a different username required for each system that runs this?  I'm pretty sure that when I used Hamachi, I had one username that I logged into at home and at work, and then had each of those systems in my network group.  This program looks to require different usernames, since it logs me out on my home system, when I login at work. 

Since you promote this as a simple solution for setting up VPN between a work and home system, why would you require multiple usernames to accomplish that?  Or am I doing something wrong?

Offline MetalShaun

• Comodo's Hero
    • Mw Computers
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 06:47:42 PM »
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but is a different username required for each system that runs this?  I'm pretty sure that when I used Hamachi, I had one username that I logged into at home and at work, and then had each of those systems in my network group.  This program looks to require different usernames, since it logs me out on my home system, when I login at work. 

Since you promote this as a simple solution for setting up VPN between a work and home system, why would you require multiple usernames to accomplish that?  Or am I doing something wrong?

Yea you will need a different user name for each computer you add to your network. Strange i know.

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 05:32:49 PM »
I'm not 100% certain on this, but I think you need to have separate accounts because the encryption (and the associated key exchange) used for each "name" is unique. You can't have two identical unique objects. ;)
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline FoxPacific

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 08:59:05 AM »
How about an iPhone app?  When using Hamachi I can use one of the available iPhone VNC clients to connect.

Offline eXPerience

• Left the Forums
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Free Forever !
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 11:21:22 AM »
Yeah I want a remote service on my iphone ;)

eXp

Offline Sal Amander

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 12:13:09 PM »
Hi guys! We here at the big C are looking for your input on EasyVPN. How does it stack up against Hamachi? What should we add, take away, etc? I'd love feedback on all aspects, but I'm particularly interested in gaming. Have any of you used EasyVPN to game? What games? Does Hamachi work better?

Basically any and all comments about VPN are appreciated. Thanks guys, and please be brutally honest!!  ;D

I would like to see a Mac and Linux EasyVPN client with and without a GUI. Hamachi hasn't updated their Linux offering in well over 2 years and doesn't provide a GUI.

Offline HellBrick

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2010, 05:46:29 AM »
I've been using Hamachi for a long, long time, and the main thing forced me to switch to another VPN service is network limit. Officially Hamachi networks can hold only 16 members; there was a simple way to pass over it, but it was ruined with release of Hamachi 2. In fact, there is a way to have more then 16 users in the network even now, but it's really really buggy. And by the way, so is Hamachi 2 at all, so i think that EasyVPN is much better than Hamachi 2 for sure - just because you can use it and don't be afraid it's gonna die any moment =) The only good things Hamachi 2 has are networks administration (it's full of convinient features) and easy deployment: you can create a special link, user downloads client from it, and after install he joines needed networks automaticly. So it's designed for big companies, not for the small communities and private use. But one thing reduced meaning of all of this down to nothing: it's sooooooo unstable! Another bad thing is that after release of Hamachi 2, 1st version became insane too (i guess it's all about increased servers loading for the new features of 2nd version).

tl;dr: So i guess nowadays Hamachi is not the thing you can rely on - due to lacks of stability and only 16 users per networks (in non-commercial version, but who will buy commercial license for such an unstable thing?). By the way, what is limit of users for EasyVPN network? I wasn't able to find anything about it neither on the website, nor on the forums.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek