Is An Official Update from Comodo on CTM possible?

There seems to be little activity on this forum at the moment - even the poll “to keep CTM alive” is a bit quiet.

Is there any chance that Comodo could put us out of our misery and let us know whether a new release of CTM is in fact still on the cards and if so when?

I did phone Comodo up a little while ago about it and someone seemed to think it was being worked on but couldn’t give anything much in the way of a timeframe.

We are relying on CTM as a key plank in our solution for an update to Windows 7 for our laptop learning scheme computers where we lend people a laptop and show them how to use a PC. It will make a real difference, but CTM would not load on one model of the laptops that we use, and we have been waiting for the hoped-for official new version which we hope will fix it. We haven’t tried the beta, because it seems preferable to wait for a new official release if there is going to be one, to maximise stability.

Our scheme really helps disadvantaged people to use a computer, some for the very first time - I hope CTM will help us deliver a more efficient and up-to-date service to thse people!

Hi, suggest you try 2.9b on that model of laptops that wouldn’t load 2.8 ( I presumed ) ! To me and some people, 2.9b has been working great ! You would have less chance of getting fatal foul-ups with 2.9b than with previous versions if something is miss-handled.

Hello james.lewis. A very good use for CTM.
Unfortunately, not a word from Comodo team about it… just waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting…

James, DONT DO IT… Do not walk, Run away from CTM as fast as you can.

Why? It’s super buggy and if it crashes your system there is no way to recover… sure it’s fine if CTM is working and something else wipes out your C drive but if CTM itself crashes Poof… your toast.

This has happened to me several times with CMT and with Rollback RX, the better program CTM was based on. The Rollback RX people swear one of thier business partners illegally sold comodo an early copy of Rollback RX and thats how CTM got started. The Comodo people do not deny this they just claim they bought the copy of Rollback RX legally. So you seew, in truth, CTM really is a clone of Rollback RX.

Comodo tried to be another McAfee or Symantic, they have their hands in a lot of cookie jars and are spread too thin as far ad development goes. The big problem is snapshots and bugs. If a bug caused CTM itself to crash your sunk and there is no good way to back up the snapshots unless you do a sector by sector backup only using certain software, Image for Windows is one that will do it at least i know on Rollback RX ( A 3rd party app, not the image tool built into windows 7) Lets say you have a 1 TB drive with 600 gigs of space used, doing a sector by sector backup will be a nightmare and take lots of dvd’s or network drive space. Until Comodo can come up with a drive backup program that can backup the CTM snapshots only, your pretty much at the mercy of hoping CTM dont crash and cause you much pain.

Comodo is not even working on such a tool as far as I know.

Rollback Rx is working on such a snapshot backup tool but they claim it wont even be ready for testing till they release Windows 8 - 18 months away.

Plus notice Comodo hasn’t had an update to CTM in like forever? Neither has Rollback RX. Both apps are plagued by the same problems and neither developer seems to know how to solve the issues.

Now Comodo has 18 months to get it’s ■■■■ in gear and fix the bugs in CTM and find a way to make snapshot backups. If they did this, Comodo’s CTM would get a good rep and Comodo would beat out the competition.

Comodo don’t know this yet… I just announced it for the first time anywhere having just read an update yesterday on the Rollback RX forums.

I sure hope some folks at Comodo is reading this or someone connected to them can pass this info along.

The Rollback RX people swear one of thier business partners illegally sold comodo an early copy of Rollback RX and thats how CTM got started. The Comodo people do not deny this they just claim they bought the copy of Rollback RX legally.
[quote="Melih post:14, topic:261544"] As an FYI: Comodo did license the source code from one of the original Inventors of this technology.

I would appreciate if you refrained from using defamatory words as this is a legally binding licensing arrangement which is done regularly.

Melih
[/quote]
Please get your facts straight before posting.

It is interesting to see how from time to time people come up with these type of claims but they never corroborate with references to cases in court about this. If Comodo had illegally obtained Rollback RX then there would have a legal trail either to Comodo or to the reseller that allegedly sold it to Comodo where it was not allowed to.

So you seew, in truth, CTM really is a clone of Rollback RX.
Comodo always acknowledged CTM was based on Rollback RX. But a clone? I don't think so. Actually you said so: "Rollback RX, the better program CTM was based on"
Comodo tried to be another McAfee or Symantic, they have their hands in a lot of cookie jars and are spread too thin as far ad development goes. The big problem is snapshots and bugs. If a bug caused CTM itself to crash your sunk and there is no good way to back up the snapshots unless you do a sector by sector backup only using certain software, Image for Windows is one that will do it at least i know on Rollback RX ( A 3rd party app, not the image tool built into windows 7) Lets say you have a 1 TB drive with 600 gigs of space used, doing a sector by sector backup will be a nightmare and take lots of dvd's or network drive space. Until Comodo can come up with a drive backup program that can backup the CTM snapshots only, your pretty much at the mercy of hoping CTM dont crash and cause you much pain.
That's why we it has been always propagated here at the forum to use CTM along side a back up solution. Something that a forum search could have yielded
Comodo is not even working on such a tool as far as I know.
Again something that a forum search could have yielded
Rollback Rx is working on such a snapshot backup tool but they claim it wont even be ready for testing till they release Windows 8 - 18 months away.
Plus notice Comodo hasn't had an update to CTM in like forever? Neither has Rollback RX. Both apps are plagued by the same problems and neither developer seems to know how to solve the issues.
I am not familiar with Rollback RX so I cannot comment here. For all I know this could be another unsubstantiated claim. You already shot yourself in the foot in the above with your unfounded allegation about Comodo having illegally acquired Rollback technology.
Now Comodo has 18 months to get it's ■■■■ in gear and fix the bugs in CTM and find a way to make snapshot backups. If they did this, Comodo's CTM would get a good rep and Comodo would beat out the competition.
Comodo is waiting to see what Windows 8 will bring as it may bring very similar technology.Until more is know all development is halted.
Comodo don't know this yet.. I just announced it for the first time anywhere having just read an update yesterday on the Rollback RX forums.

I sure hope some folks at Comodo is reading this or someone connected to them can pass this info along.

What update at the Rollback forums? Can you provide us with a link?

As EricJH has already stated, you really need to get your facts straight. To paint Rollback RX in the same light as CTM is a truely horrendous statement. Rollback is leagues ahead in reliability than CTM can ever hope to be. I mean really, have you taken the time to read the comodo forums? If you have, then no-one can take your statements seriously.
I suggest you re-image your drive from an image BEFORE you installed CTM and allowed it to trash your system. Alternatively, start with a clean install of Windows. Now install the latest version of Rollback RX and give an honest and properly tested opinion. I think you’ll reconsider your view.

Again. Check your facts. It’s true that CTM hasnt been updated like forever but Rollbacks’ latest update came out on 18th July '11.

And again…Both apps plagued?? Pray tell, what devastating issues is Rollback having that has the Devs at Horizon scratching their heads? On the other hand, CTM’s issues in its current (stable) form are disastrous. Beta 2.9 looks like an improvement but i cant believe that people are still willing to trust CTM to “Protect” their PC. Each to his/her own i guess. ???

No EricJH, what you should find interesting is the apparent co-incidence that CTM is no longer being developed. What i find laughable is the lame reasons they’ve stated. I mean come on “Comodo is waiting to see what Windows 8 will bring as it may bring very similar technology.” Really?? This is the real reason for leaving CTM in such an appauling condition. Hmmmm… can anyone say Injunction.

It sounds to me like there really was some truth in the illegal purchase rumors. Just saying, if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck…

The reasons I mentioned are the official reasons by Comodo.

Does it disappoint a lot of folks? Most certainly: Save Comodo Time Machine! Poll to keep it alive.

This is the real reason for leaving CTM in such an appauling condition. Hmmmm.... can anyone say Injunction.
Were there people with problems with CTM? Surely: [url=https://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-ctm/how-many-users-have-not-had-trouble-with-ctm-t66094.0.html]How many users have not had trouble with CTM?[/url].

Are there also happy users? Surely. CTM 2.9 beta is running fine on XP and Win 7 on VM Ware.

It sounds to me like there really was some truth in the illegal purchase rumors. Just saying, if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck....
If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and spins like a duck it is a spinning duck. :D

I would like to see proof here about illegal purchase. There would have been a legal case about it; but oddly people making these allegation never come up with such evidence. 88) :o

What does not convince me?
The affirmation that just because Microsoft is developing the technology for Windows 8 it’s a reason for Comodo to drop development. Why? Why does this reason does not work for the Comodo Firewall, or CIS, or Comodo Backup?
Are you affraid of the Microsoft power?

Sorry EricJH. I left out an important question mark in my sentence.

It should have read like this

“Really?? This is the real reason for leaving CTM in such an appauling condition? Hmmmm… can anyone say Injunction.”

I meant it to be read as in disbelief…as in “This is the weak excuse that Comodo came up with??”

i apologize if it sounded like i implied it was the reason you came up with. :-[

The attack was directed at Comodo, not you.

there really was some truth in the illegal purchase rumors

Actually I would not use the word “illegal” here, I also think there could be some potential legal issues involving the legitimacy of the source code obtained by Comodo from one of the RollbackRx founders; but I think Comodo obtained the source code under “Goodwill” ~ in other words the person who sold the code to Comodo might have made a misrepresentation that he had full right to sell.

I can also give some history of the original source code, it’s developed by a Chinese software company about 5-6 years ago. The program in Chinese is called " Yu Guo Tian Qing " which literally means " Sunny Sky After Rainfall ", that may sound pretty ironic to those " Horror Story " tellers who had bad experience with it !

On a personal level, CTM (to be specific, version 2.9b) has worked great for me. It’s a very versatile tool and needless to say every prudent computer user should make regular image backups of systems.

That might be true. But why can’t anybody come up with some form of evidence?

If there were a judgement or injunction against Comodo relating to the purchase and use of the source code used as the basis of CTM, then whoever bought the action against them has the world’s most useless lawyers if the judgement or injunction against Comodo allowed them to continue distribution, which is obviously the case.

Regardless of the jurisdiction the alleged action was made under, it would include a punitive clause and this would, by necessity, include cessation of distribution of any or all products based on the affected code.

Alternatively, consider that the claims against Comodo were found to be baseless and distribution and/or development of CTM could continue.

Ewen :slight_smile:

Anyone can say anything about this? In a positive and constructive way :slight_smile:

I just can’t understand why Comodo can’t be bothered to actually tell people what is happening clearly and unequivocally - certainly if they ARE suspending all future development it seems only fair to people to tell them to not to bother waiting for a future version.

As previously stated, Comodo are waiting until there are more concrete details on the proposed snapshotting in Windows 8.

Ewen :slight_smile:

Then, remove the availability of the program (that is not being developed, not supported) and if it will come back, resurrect it and bring it back later.

Besides, Comodo is being exposed to similar responsability issues if CTM fails.
https://forums.comodo.com/melihs-corner-ceo-talkdiscussionsblog/the-future-of-computer-security-t9998.0.html;msg533361#msg533361

There may be still many happy users out there and people willing to give it a try.

Besides, Comodo is being exposed to [i]similar[/i] responsability issues if CTM fails. https://forums.comodo.com/melihs-corner-ceo-talkdiscussionsblog/the-future-of-computer-security-t9998.0.html;msg533361#msg533361
Apples and oranges. You are pointing to a paid product where CTM is a free product.

We have asked our guys to remove the product from the website for now.

thanks

Melih

Hi Melih!

A simple question: why?

Because a user recommended it be removed.