Author Topic: COMODO Time Machine Wishlist  (Read 108841 times)

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
Re: COMODO Time Machine Wishlist
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 08:05:09 am »
I'd like to see an option to backup and restore the MBR of the disks that CTM is installed on.

This would help users where a utility "fixes" the MBR, thereby killing CTM. This function could be added by using code segments from Comodo Backup V2 which can do an MBR backup.

When restoring, it would need to do what the CTM installer does - backup the existing MBR to an alternate location on track 0 before restoring the CTM specific MBR.

Ewen :-)
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline jay2007tech

• Malware Research Group
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 08:22:12 am »
I'd like to see an option to backup and restore the MBR of the disks that CTM is installed on.

This would help users where a utility "fixes" the MBR, thereby killing CTM. This function could be added by using code segments from Comodo Backup V2 which can do an MBR backup.

When restoring, it would need to do what the CTM installer does - backup the existing MBR to an alternate location on track 0 before restoring the CTM specific MBR.

Ewen :-)

cool idea :)

+2 :-TU
It's hard being a crooked Admin when the files won't pass an md5checksum test.  But like any other good crooked Admin it can be done, it just takes time(and lots of it) and a few aspirins

Offline Co-Mo-Do

• Comodo's Hero
  • Co-Mo-Do BOts Clean
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 07:04:20 pm »
Allow CTM to use CAV to run a boot-time scan, if user is using CAV as part of CIS.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:58:59 pm by pranaygtr »
Optimus Maximus Securitus, all aboard the Comodobus

Offline spasserfan

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 01:11:32 pm »
1. The ability to create an disk image.

2. A boot CD just in case anything goes wrong.
  2.1 The CD should be able to create and restore an image on its own (and not use the installed version if that is not working)

3. The ability to copy to a remote location (again an disk image would be great).

Offline donut53

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 03:21:39 pm »

2.1 The CD should be able to create and restore an image on its own (and not use the installed version if that is not working)

3. The ability to copy to a remote location (again an disk image would be great).

+1

This would make this an excellent program... I would also like to be able to choose whether or not ctm becomes part of the master boot record..

Offline simakuutio

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 06:29:16 am »
I have found Comodo Time Machine one of the finest _free_ tools to secure my PC. (for this quality, I would easily pay something, no doubt).

One thing is still missing or I just can't find it:

Time Machine should have ability to put snapshots to network drive and somewhere in the future, over some secure connection (FTP over SSH etc) to another machine on the internet.

That feature would make this even more useful. I hope this kind of features are somewhere in the roadmap of this excellent software.

Offline deep

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 07:48:29 am »

Program should be bootable from DVD/CD in case of MBR modification  and should be able to restore the MBR code of CTM and also be able to restore  the baseline+ snapshots present in hard disk.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 07:57:51 am by deep »

Offline VITOR

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 04:02:39 pm »
Hi Guys,

Please put your wishes here. :)

Offline SiberLynx

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 12:00:34 am »
Make it so that Defraggers and Chkdsk are able to be used without problems.
Hi Dch48,

Let's leave alone the Defragmentation “issue”.
That was discussed several times in the forum & probably there is a problem when one is using real-time defrag(s), which I prefer not to use
I am not running that often, and I'm using the off-line defrag only, when nothing else is alive ... but that's is just me...forget about it it.

… but Chkdsk  ??? Can you be more specific?

What is the actual problem. I mean, why and how you may demand flawless work of that Tool in conjunction with any other background  processes and especially regarding CTM.
I hope that you are not going to make system snapshots and/or “going “back in time” when using Chkdsk ... seriously ... 

The said utility must be run exclusively after rebooting into the Admin account or running  as member of the Administrators group... basically - no background processes  are allowed.
That is written in any documentation regarding the utility.

Disconnect. Shut down all existing backgrounds – security in particular – Reboot as Admin and run
otherwise you will have a nightmare of a constant reminders to reboot in order to continue due to files being locked / other processes running and interfering etc. The result of such work is unpredictable and you will not be able to fix disk problems if required for sure

That was very surprising request in conjunction with CTM … unless I am really missing something

My regards
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:04:56 am by SiberLynx »
Main OS - Ubuntu
XP Pro, SP3 (32bit), Admin; Comodo Firewall 3.14.130099.587; Proactive with Defense+; Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9; Sandboxie
Win 7 x64, Admin (UAC off); Win7 advanced FW +TinyWall; Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9; Sandboxie
Win 7 Ultimate 32bit (UAC off); Emsisoft Internet Security v9 beta

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 02:46:30 am »
Hi Dch48,

Let's leave alone the Defragmentation “issue”.
That was discussed several times in the forum & probably there is a problem when one is using real-time defrag(s), which I prefer not to use
I am not running that often, and I'm using the off-line defrag only, when nothing else is alive ... but that's is just me...forget about it it.

… but Chkdsk  ??? Can you be more specific?

What is the actual problem. I mean, why and how you may demand flawless work of that Tool in conjunction with any other background  processes and especially regarding CTM.
I hope that you are not going to make system snapshots and/or “going “back in time” when using Chkdsk ... seriously ...  

The said utility must be run exclusively after rebooting into the Admin account or running  as member of the Administrators group... basically - no background processes  are allowed.
That is written in any documentation regarding the utility.

Disconnect. Shut down all existing backgrounds – security in particular – Reboot as Admin and run
otherwise you will have a nightmare of a constant reminders to reboot in order to continue due to files being locked / other processes running and interfering etc. The result of such work is unpredictable and you will not be able to fix disk problems if required for sure

That was very surprising request in conjunction with CTM … unless I am really missing something

My regards
I have never heard of or read anything about having to disconnect and shut things down in order to run Chkdsk. I always run as an administrator anyway. Alll I do is tell it to automatically fix errors and it asks if I want to schedule the check to be done at the next restart. I say yes and reboot.

I read several posts saying that running chkdsk in the way you normally would (setting it to automatically fix errors and then rebooting so it can run before Windows loads) will corrupt the CTM snapshots and make them unusable. It was also stated that other more serious issues could arise from chkdsk fixing "problems" while CTM is installed.  Problems that might make a reinstall of the OS necessary. That and the problems with using Defrag tools are enough to make me stay far away from CTM.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 02:59:23 am by Dch48 »
AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU
Windows 8.1 64 bit, IE11 & Outlook 2007
Comodo Internet Security 7.0 full package, MBAM on Demand

Offline SiberLynx

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2010, 04:11:09 am »
...I read several posts saying that running chkdsk in the way you normally would (setting it to automatically fix errors and then rebooting so it can run before Windows loads) will corrupt the CTM snapshots and make them unusable. It was also stated that other more serious issues could arise from chkdsk fixing "problems" while CTM is installed.  Problems that might make a reinstall of the OS necessary. That and the problems with using Defrag tools are enough to make me stay far away from CTM.
Thanks for reply Dch48 ,

As I pointed the defrag problem was discussed and probably needs special attention for those who is using real-time defragging.

But basically "nothing" has to be active in order to run Chkdsk properly.
The disconnecting was mentioned just because it is advisable to shut down spare background processes, so the security amongst them. Disconnecting prior to that is just a safety measure

What you mentioned about CTM just confirming that it is better to disable its activity during the execution of Chkdsk irrespectively including the fact that even in the situation when  Chkdsk running comfortably alone users may be prompted for rebooting few times anyway

I am not going to use CTM at all too. Having disk imaging Software and my data backed up I don't see any reason for having CTM.
So, my comments were mainly about the conditions for running Chkdsk.

Cheers!
Main OS - Ubuntu
XP Pro, SP3 (32bit), Admin; Comodo Firewall 3.14.130099.587; Proactive with Defense+; Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9; Sandboxie
Win 7 x64, Admin (UAC off); Win7 advanced FW +TinyWall; Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9; Sandboxie
Win 7 Ultimate 32bit (UAC off); Emsisoft Internet Security v9 beta

Offline Victek

• Comodo Member
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 12:53:59 pm »
Is it possible to skin the CTM UI?  It would be nice if there was a choice of colors.  Thanks!
Windows 7 x64, NIS 2010, Comodo Time Machine

Offline Philee

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 11:33:51 pm »
+1 Support for Linux
+1 Support for TrueCrypt
+1 Support for external defragmenters
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:43:41 pm by Philee »

Offline zen

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 04:07:54 am »
Is there a way to protect another partition that wasn't checked during installation of CTM?

Offline DoctorJellybean

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2010, 03:02:08 pm »
A right-click context menu consisting of the 3 main options to the system tray icon would be a big time saver  :)

1) Restore System
2) Take Snapshot
3) Advanced

This is pretty much the norm with most of the system tray icons.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek