COMODO System Cleaner 1.1.64946.38 BUG REPORTS

Please post all bug reports & BSOD’s here.

Be sure to include:

• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit);
  • Security Software Installed;
  • How you produced the problem;
  • How you tried to resolve the problem;
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any);
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any;
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled;
  • Any other Additional Information;
  • Your Operating System: Windows XP Home SP3 32bit
  • Security Software Installed: CIS RC2, Spyware Blaster, Super Anti-spyware, Malwarebytes Anti-malware
  • How you produced the problem: ran CDC
  • How you tried to resolve the problem: used the Office XP installation disk to reinstall the Word function
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any): NA
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any: NA
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled: attached
  • Any other Additional Information;
    After cleaning with CDC, when I opened Microsoft Office XP Word, it immediately started reinstalling a function and required the Office XP installation disk to complete the function installation. The CDC log indicates that the same file that has been causing this Office XP reinstallation problem is STILL being removed by CDC cleaning. This file is the DATA.BAK file located in the folder below:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\DATA.BAK
    I was notified by Comodo staff that this would be fixed in the next update. Obviously that is not the case, because this file was removed by the latest .38 version of CDC.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Open CDC, click the Clean-Up tab and add data.bak to your ignore list. You can also remove *.bak from the Filter Entries list.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely do that. I didn’t even realize there was an Ignore List. I guess I am too broke to pay attention. What I don’t understand is why CDC continues to remove a necessary file for such a common program as Microsoft Office XP.

Hi,

The DATA.BAK file is deleted because you are scanning/cleaning with Filter Entries checked which is unchecked by default, and this version has a clear message stating that “Some applications that are related with filter entries could be damaged! Use it at your own risk!”. Filter entries scans the entire hard disk and finds some known extensions used for temporary files, including .BAK files. This message appears when checking the Filter Entries box and should be used only if you are an expert user and know exactly what to select from the list of files found before cleaning so that no installed programs would be affected. Microsoft Office XP uses a temporary bak file as an essential one, so scanning with Filter Entries checked ,if you don’t add DATA.BAK to the ignore list or deselect it after scanning, it will be deleted. I have attached 2 screenshots with the warning message and the bak file extension among the other filter entries categories scanned.

Thank you for your support.

No, that is not the case. I upgraded to .38 from within the CSC program and did not change ANY of the default settings in the Disk Clean-up window. I NEVER change any of the default settings in the Disk Clean-up window. I have never had Filter Entries checked if they weren’t checked by default. The only settings that I ever change are the ones under Settings. There I always make sure that ‘Create a Restore point before Cleaning disk’ and ‘Backup Files before Cleaning’ are checked. This DATA.BAK file has been removed by every previous version of CDC subsequent to version .32 and Filter Entries has always been unchecked by default, if I remember correctly. I think the last version of CDC that didn’t remove this DATA.BAK file was version .31, and that was back when Prefetch Application Cache was checked by default in the Disk Clean-up window and it didn’t cause any problems.

Hi,

There could have been a problem with your previously installed versions of CSC, because we installed several older versions, upgraded to .38 and everything worked fine, including Filter Entries which was unchecked and the warning appeared when selecting it. Please uninstall the current version that you have, reinstall .38 and verify if what i said in the previous post checks out.

Vista 32 SP1
CIS RC2 488

The first time I ran the portable version of CSC.EXE build .38 (directly from the hard drive) it appeared to work as intended. I selected Comodo system settings, Windows Explorer, and checked the one entry “Remove shortcut to from the name of new shortcuts”. Following reboot, the PC appeared to run normally, the change had taken effect, so I committed changes.

Every subsequent time I have tried to start CSC.EXE I have received a DEP error, just as I did with build .37. This did not happen with 0.34. All individual tools can be run as normal, so it isn’t a show stopper. The error fires application event ID 1000:
“Faulting application CSC.exe, version 1.1.64946.38, time stamp 0x49ffd546, faulting module urlmon.dll, version 7.0.6001.18226, time stamp 0x49acb4a5, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0001c000, process id 0x610, application start time 0x01c9ce4ee7cf3837.”

I have DEP set for Essential Windows programs and Services only.

Might this be happening because I ran build .38 without first uninstalling the portable version .37, or has the DEP issue not been fixed? Thanks for any help.

I uninstalled CSC version .38 and then did a clean install. I changed some of the settings in the Settings tab, but left the default settings on the Disk Clean-up screen, which is what I have always done. I then ran CDC and it did not remove the DATA.BAK file. So I guess there was a problem with an earlier version, because I have always just updated CSC from within the program, rather than doing a clean install. Thanks for your effort and the information.
EDIT:
When I updated to verdion .38 on my wife’s laptop, I realized what the REAL problem was. Just like with the update that was supposed to have Prefetch Application Cache unchecked by default, but it wasn’t. It was checked and to get the warning, it first had to be unchecked and then checked again before the warning would pop up. This is what was happening when I updated to CSC version .38. Instead of Filter Entries being unchecked by default, it was checked after updating. To get the warning, Filter Entries had to first be unchecked and then checked again before the warning would pop up. So you were right about having Filter Entries checked. Only I didn’t check it. It was checked automatically after I updated to version .38 or some earlier version update. This is definitely an installation bug. I say this because even if it was checked by me in the previous version, which it wasn’t, the update to the new version should have unchecked it by default.

This is apparently what happened on our Windows XP Home SP3 laptop and it happened again on my wife’s Vista Business SP1 laptop. It is pointless to show a screenshot with Filter Entries checked. Simply take my word for the fact that it was checked after I updated. I have NEVER checked Filter Entries myself. I don’t know if it was ever checked by default in any of the previous CSC versions. The only thing that I know for sure is that the last version of CSC that didn’t cause me Office XP problems which required reinstallation of Office features requiring the Office XP installation CD was CSC version .31. After discovering this, I made sure Filter Entries was unchecked and ran the CDC scan and clean without removal of the DATA.BAK file. Office XP did not require any features to be reinstalled. Case solved.

-

Hi,

We reproduced your scenario with both 37 and 38 portable versions installed and more than that, ran several procedures alternatively involving all modules but there wasn’t any DEP issue. I think there might be a problem with your Data Execution Prevention settings regarding other programs or services. We will further investigate your issue.

• Your Operating System Vista HB 32b (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit);
  • Security Software Installed; CIS, Spywareterminator, System Protect
  • How you produced the problem; Install System Protct and run CSC than Systm Protct is killd and cant be started also the Icon is changed fron a tower to ?
  • How you tried to resolve the problem; Installed System Protect again
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any); NON
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any; NON
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled; attached
  • Any other Additional Information; This happens every time I run CSC

Many thanks for trying. I will attempt to narrow this down and report back if I have any success. Unfortunately I don’t know exactly what is included in “essential Windoes programs and services”, but this appears to be the least aggressive setting other than disabling DEP. I seem to recall some other users experiencing the DEP issue with .37, but as yet heven’t seen any other reports of this with .38, so it could well be system dependent.

Intel DG965WH with Intel Core 2 Duo
Vista 32 SP1
Comodo CIS RC2 .502

I found that turning off Buffer overflow protection in CIS Image execution control settings prevented the DEP error when CSC was started (IEC level was set to normal). The problem was likewise overcome by turning Buffer overflow protection back on, but with CSC.EXE entered as an exclusion in CIS IEC. This is the setting I am now using and all appears to be working fine.

I don’t know if this is indicative of a bug in CSC.EXE, or if it is simply a feature, but hope that this info is of use to Devs and any others who have this issue.

Thanks for a great cleaner.

Do you use System Protect with CIS??? Don’t this produce any system conflict? AFAIK, CIS (defense+) protects the registry and important system files in the same way as System Protect (though I don’t know which one is better). It could be that CIS has taken over the defense of your computer and CSC may be detecting System Protect as non-operational (this is just a wild guess). Only developers can guide you though.

Hi,

We reproduced your exact scenario, and as layman suspected there is an incompatibility issue between CIS and System Protect. Immediately after installing System Protect , CIS began crashing and reported errors, so it is obvious why do you have problems on your computer. Either you leave only one of them installed or you post this problem on the Comodo Internet Security forum, maybe they have an efficient solution for this incompatibility problem.

• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit); WinXP Pro SP3 32 bit
  • Security Software Installed; CIS 3.9.81003.508
  • How you produced the problem; Ran CRC by itself.
  • How you tried to resolve the problem; n/a
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any); n/a
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any; n/a
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled; Attached
  • Any other Additional Information; n/a

When running CRC separately (not through the CSC interface), I don’t get the prompt to finalize the registry cleaning upon reboot (with registry protection enabled). Since I’m not getting the confirmation box, is the cleaning complete or ignored?

Hi,

Are you sure you checked “Use REGISTRY PROTECTION” in CRC’s settings ? Because only if this option is unchecked, no registry protection confirmation message appears, and no Finalize/Restore after restart. All the registry results found after scanning ( or only the ones you have checked ) are completely cleaned after you click the Clean button. We have tested many times the modules individually and no problems were found, they ran exactly like they did through the CSC main interface.

Here’s how I have my CRC settings configured:

The following boxes are checked:

Create Backup before Cleaning registry (it does this)
Show warnings (it does this)
Store logs for registry Clean (it does this)
Use Registry Protection this is not working on reboot
Show Scan Results after Analyze (it does this)

• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit); Vista home bsic 32 bit
  • Security Software Installed; Cis 3.9…509
  • How you produced the problem; Ultilities, system settings and check or uncheck a box.

When changing a setting in the system utilities a box such as that with the registry cleaning process pops up when applying settings. Not sure if this is normal.

Hi,

Yes, it is normal, if you have “Use REGISTRY PROTECTION” checked that window from your screenshot pops-up to backup the registry prior to applying your settings and after restart you can finalize the new settings or restore the previous ones. This option works just like Registry Cleaner but it applies to settings made in “System Settings”.