COMODO System Cleaner 1.1.64943.35 BUG REPORTS [CLOSED]

Please post all bug reports & BSOD’s here.

Be sure to include:

• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit);
  • Security Software Installed;
  • How you produced the problem;
  • How you tried to resolve the problem;
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any);
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any;
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled;
  • Any other Additional Information;
  • Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit): Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32 bit
  • Security Software Installed: CIS, BOClean, SpywareBlaster, Super AntiSpyware, Malwarebytes AntiMalware
  • How you produced the problem: ran CDC
  • How you tried to resolve the problem: performed a system restore and reinstalled Netgear software
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any): Attached
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any: NA
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled: NA, uninstalled CSC

I upgraded CSC from within the program and ran CRC and CDC, using both Registry Protection and Safe Delete. CRC ran fine and caused no problems. Before running CDC, I unchecked all the references I could find to Office programs, Windows Explorer and Netgear under Prefetch. After running CDC, I rebooted and checked as many programs as I could think of. I don’t believe I got a warning message at any time about Prefetch files. The program release notes state: “Added warning message when selecting Prefetch Application Cache for scanning, which caused some software products improper function ( Microsoft Office 2003, Open Office )”. Prefetch files are selected by default, so if a warning message did come up, it wasn’t noticeable enough that I saw it.

Everything looked OK. I clicked Finalize and let CDC finish cleaning files. After I rebooted again to make sure everything was still working, I found that I had no Internet connection because the Netgear software wasn’t working correctly. I also had no Netgear SmartWizard interface. When I tried to open Outlook 2007, Word 2007 and Excel 2007, the Office installer popped up and started installing components again. I did a system restore and reinstalled the Netgear software. Then I ran CDC again and unchecked the Prefetch selection so that no prefetch files would be removed. The same thing happened that I just described with the Office programs and the Netgear software and the loss of Internet connection. These are the same problems that I had with the previous version 1.1.64942.34. I am sorry I can’t provide you with the log files. I didn’t write this post before I uninstalled CSC.

Edit:
Attached is a screenshot of the CDC Prefetch Application Cache checked by default and no warning message appearing. I tried replicating this again by uninstalling version 1.1.64943.35 and reinstalling version 1.1.64941.33 and then upgrading from within the program again, but this time CDC upgraded properly with the Prefetch Application Cache unchecked by default.

Edit:
After uninstalling CSC and reinstalling it doing a clean install, the Prefetch Application Cache was UNCHECHED when opening the CDC program. I then ran CDC and checked Office programs and Netgear wireless interface after rebooting the computer and everything worked perfectly. So the files that CDC was removing that were causing the problems on our two Vista Ultimate SP1 32bit desktops were located in the Prefetch Application Cache. I still have to question why CDC version 1.1.64941.33 had the Prefetch Application Cache checked by default and didn’t cause any of these problems after cleaning, but if you try to remove Prefetch Application Cache files using this current version 1.1.64943.35, then it causes the problems described above.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi,

In this new version, CSC comes with “Prefetch Application Cache” option unchecked by default and if you decide to check it, a warning message will pop-up. Also if you want to check the main category ( Windows Log Files ) the warning message regarding the selection of Prefetch Application Cache will appear.
I have attached two screenshots for both of the above mentioned examples.

Thank you for your support.

• Your Operating System: Windows Vista Business SP1 32bit
  • Security Software Installed: CIS, BOClean, Spyware Blaster, Super AntiSpyware, Malwarebytes AntiMalware
  • How you produced the problem: ran CDC and then checked Office XP programs and Office Outlook 2007
  • How you tried to resolve the problem: had to let Office reinstall programs
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any): none
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any: none
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled: CDC log file attached from the version 1.1.64941.33 clean
    After running CDC with the default settings (Prefetch Application Cache unchecked), I tried to open Word XP and Outlook 2007. After starting each program, the Microsoft Office installer for each program popped up and started installing some part of the program again. Word XP required the installation disk to finish the installation, but Office Outlook 2007 finished the installation without requiring the installation disk. No Prefetch Application Cache files were cleaned. Then I ran CDC a second time to make sure that the Microsoft Office problem was created by some files being cleaned other than Prefetch Application Cache files. The results were the same. When I opened Word XP and Outlook 2007 the program installer immediately started reinstalling the programs again.

CSC version 1.1.64941.33 had Prefetch Application Cache files set to clean by default, but did not cause problems for Microsoft Office programs. This problem with Microsoft Office programs needing to reinstall after cleaning with CDC started with CSC version 1.1.64942.34. So unchecking the Prefetch Application Cache by default in this latest version 1.1.64943.35 did not solve the problem. There are some other files that CDC is cleaning that are causing this problem, some files that version 1.1.64941.33 did not clean, even with Prefetch Application Cache checked.

This problem does not exist on our two Vista Ultimate SP1 32bit desktops. With the default setting of Prefetch Application Cache unchecked, CDC version 1.1.649.43.35 cleans files without creating any problems at all. Microsoft Office programs and the Netgear WN121T wireless adapter work correctly after using CDC to clean those computers. No Office installer pops up when the Office programs are opened and the Netgear wireless adapter works correctly after reboot and Internet connectivity is still available.

I uninstalled CSC version 1.1.69443.35 and reinstalled CSC version 1.1.69441.33 on this Vista Business SP1 32bit laptop. I ran CDC with Prefetch Application Cache checked, which is the default setting. I checked both Word XP and Outlook 2007 and both programs opened and worked just fine without any Office installer popping up and needing to reinstall any Office program or function. This is further proof that the latest CSC version 1.1.64943.35 cleans files that should not be cleaned and that are located somewhere other than in the Prefetch Application Cache Windows Log Files. The log file that is attached is from this last cleaning with CDC version 1.1.64941.33. In looking at the log file, I don’t see the file named DATA.BAK located in a Microsoft Office\Data subfolder. This file was being removed by CDC version 1.1.64943.35, even with Prefetch Application Cache unchecked. I believe that this is the missing file that was causing the Windows Installer to pop up and start reinstalling Microsoft Office programs on this computer after cleaning with the latest version of CDC.

• Your Operating System: Windows XP SP3 32bit
  • Security Software Installed: CIS, BOClean, SpywareBlaster, Super AntiSpyware, Malwarebytes AntiMalware
  • How you produced the problem: ran CDC
  • How you tried to resolve the problem: finished running the Windows Installer to reinstall Word XP, then uninstalled CSC version 1.1.64943.35 and reinstalled CSC version 1.1.64941.33, the last version that does not have this problem
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any): NA
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any: NA
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled: CDC log attached
    I encountered the same problem that I had using CDC on our Windows Vista Business SP1 32bit laptop when I ran CDC version 1.1.69443.35 on this laptop. Safe Delete unchecked, System Restore checked, Prefetch Application Cache unchecked (default). After completing CDC cleaning, when I opened Microsoft Word XP the Windows Installer popped up and started reinstalling the program. The installation disk was required to complete the installation. CDC is still removing some files that should not be removed. Those files are not located in the Prefetch Application Cache. Looking at the log file, I think the file that is being removed by CDC and is causing the problem is: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\DATA.BAK

After installing this version on several computers via updating from within the program, I have found that the Prefetch Application Cache option is not always unchecked by default when you first start the CDC program. When that is the case, Preftech Application Cache is checked and no popup warning appears. You have to manually uncheck Prefetch Application Cache and then if you check it, you will get the popup warning. Even if someone has read the list of changes, they probably don’t know at what point the popup warning is going to happen and they probably aren’t going to double-check to make sure that Prefetch Application Cache is indeed unchecked. Then if they go ahead and run CDC and Prefetch Application Cache is indeed checked, their computer is probably going to be messed up. This is definitely a bug, since I have encountered this on two different laptops. After installation of CSC and when first opening CDC, the Prefetch Application Cache should NEVER be checked, but it was on these two laptops.

But on our two laptops I still encountered problems after running CDC with Prefetch Application Cache unchecked. One laptop runs Vista Ultimate SP1 32bit and the older one runs Windows XP SP3 32bit. A file named DATA.BAK was being removed from a location other than the Prefetch Application Cache and the removal of this file was apparently causing the Windows Installer to start reinstalling Office programs when first trying to open an Office program after CDC cleaning. The problem I had with CDC removing files that relate to the Netgear wireless adapters that caused them to stop working and to lose Internet connection on our two Vista Ultimate SP1 32bit desktops was solved by Prefetch Application Cache being unchecked and no files being removed from that location. CDC version 1.1.64941.33 cleaned the Prefetch Application Cache by default, but did not cause these Microsoft Office or Netgear wireless adapter problems. What is different about this new CDC version 1.1.64943.35 and why does it cause these problems?

Hi,

We further analyzed issues regarding Microsoft Office XP, 2003 and 2007 functionality after scanning with CSC and on some rare cases, when modules of MS Office ( Word, Excel, Outlook etc) had some registry or files problems, the installer poped-up requiring files from the instalation CD instead of restoring them from MSOCache hidden folder. This problem has been fixed and tested for MS Office proper functionality, and will be implemented in the next version of Comodo System Cleaner.

Not so much a bug, but the nvidia temp files (the ones that extract to c:\nvidia) CSC could provide an option with deleting this folder, and any that ATI use as well - since these files are never used again after installing the drivers.

Not so much a bug as a feature regression…what happened to the Folder Lock and File Encryption modules? I had encrypted several files using the old release of CSC and now cannot unencrypt them because the file encryption choice is no longer under the Privacy Cleaner section.

How do I get it back? I need to see the contents of those folders!

Thanks

• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit); XP SP3 32 bit
  • Security Software Installed; CSC, Comodo Internet Security, Windows Defender
  • How you produced the problem; tried to unencrypt previously encrypted file
  • How you tried to resolve the problem; Tried re-installing CSC to see if File Encryption would be listed as a component to be installed
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any);
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any;
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled;

Maybe Unlocker 1.8.7 could get those folders unlocked for you. It has worked great for me in the past.

Sorry, I should have originally said "I need to see the contents of those FILES’.

The issue is, with a prior version of CSC I could ENCRYPT the file using the File Encryption capability in the Privacy Cleaner section. Now, that option is no longer there so I have no way of unencrypting the files that I used CSC to encrypt.

Thanks

I see. Could you reinstall the older version just to unlock those files?

After cleaning my registry with the latest version of CSC my shared folder is not accessible, Error message: “Not enough server storage is available to process this command” how to solve this problem please help me…

xp pro sp3 32bit
avira free version

L.A.R. Grizzly…I will give that shot. Thanks

I hope the current version is fixed to allow those additional features though.

This is extremely frustrating…I cannot find an older version that includes the file encryption application. Anyone know what release that was included in?

Here is a description of the latest release from another web site:

"Here are some key features of “Comodo System Cleaner”:

Clean Up:

· Registry Cleaner: - Optimizes and repairs your Windows registry by running an in-depth scan to identify, remove or repair any unnecessary or corrupted entries. After running a scan, Windows will be able to access the information it needs from the registry much more quickly - meaning your computer will get an immediate performance and stability boost. (click here to see how Comodo Registry Cleaner performed in a speed test against competing software)

· Disk Cleaner: - Over time your disk drives become cluttered with temporary Internet files, logs, needless archives, unused icons and duplicate files. This utility lets you quickly clear them all to free up space and improve performance. Also allows you to schedule regular clean up routines.

Privacy Cleaner: - Obliterate your digital paper trail by cleaning history, cache, cookies and usage records from Internet browsers, Windows locations and popular software. Privacy Cleaner also contains the following security utilities:

· File Wiper - ‘Permanent’ file deletion tool to ensure deleted
· files can never be recovered

· Folder Lock - Prevent other local and network users from opening specific folders

· File Encryption - Strong encryption utility for secure storage or transmission of important files"

But, every time I install the latest version all I get is the File Wiper, neither the Folder Lock nor the File Encryption are included.

I really need to unencrypt the file that I had encrypted using File Encryption.

Thanks

Sorry if this has already been brought up.
The diagnostics module reports “Altered File(s)” (one or more files has been altered and is corrupt) after excluding to install one or more modules. Nothing is really wrong with the install, just the file that belongs to the module that wasn’t installed is not there.

I’ve noticed this anomaly with the past couple versions. I’m using the portable version with only CRC, CDC and CPC installed.

I appreciate your efforts to resolve this problem, but I beg to differ about this being a rare case only occurring when modules of MS Office had some registry or file problems causing the installer to pop up and requiring files from the installation CD instead of restoring them from the MSOCache hidden folder. First off, files should not have been cleaned that required the installer to pop up at all. The installer popped up for reinstallation of MS Office on all 4 of our computers. The 2 laptops, 1 running MS Office XP Standard and the other running MS Office XP Pro, required the installation disks to complete the reinstallation, while the 2 desktops simply had the installer popup and reinstall the Office programs without requiring the installation disk. These computers were running different versions of Office (XP Standard, XP Professional, and Office 2007 Professional), so the likelihood that these MS Office versions on 4 different computers all had registry or file problems would be practically nill.

The previous version 1.1.64941.33 of CDC did not cause the installer to pop up at all on any of our computers. This MS Office problem had to do with files that were removed by CDC version 1.1.64943.35 that should not have been removed, and were not removed by CDC version 1.1.64941.33, which also did not cause Netgear WN121T wireless adapter problems on our 2 desktops when cleaning the Prefetch Application Cache by default. I have to wonder why CDC can’t continue to clean the Prefetch Application Cache by default, like CDC version 1.1.64941.33 did, without causing any Netgear WN121T wireless adapter problems?

Look back through the pages of the https://forums.comodo.com/comodo_system_cleaner_fileregistryprivacy_cleaner-b124.0/ link. You will find all the CSC version links all the way back to, and including, the Beta version. So you should be able to find the version that had file encryption included in it. I am sorry I don’t remember which version that was because I didn’t ever use it.

Hi,

If you want the latest version containing the File Encryption module, you have it right here on the Comodo System Cleaner forum at page 5 ( version 19 ) . This is the direct link for 32 and 64 bit versions: https://forums.comodo.com/comodo_system_cleaner_fileregistryprivacy_cleaner/comodo_system_cleaner_106009319_update_released-t32427.0.html